Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ever been to a gig just to see the support?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
Stone Broken are playing In London, Feb next year. I have no clue about the band or their music, but I would very much like to see the support act - fab American blues player Jared James Nichols. I would have definitely have gone but for the fact that it is a Saturday and that is most inconvenient.

Ever been just for a support band?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1563
    I can go one better by having gone to a gig just for the support, only to have the support drop out because he couldn't get his visa sorted or something - Robin Proper-Sheppard of Sophia (ex-Godmachine), was meant to be supporting Malcolm Middleton
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Architecture in Helsinki. Just went to see the support, Caribou. In fact I went with Mr Caribou (Dan Snaith)’s Mum and Dad, since I know his Dad through work. 

I lasted two songs of AiH’s set before deciding they were too far up their own arses to be worth any more of my time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Van Halen supporting Bon Jovi in 2000-ish at Wembley stadium
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27579
    Sisters of Mercy supporting Depeche Mode.

The latter were better, on balance.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    Dokken supporting Accept In London 1986 and Dokken supporting ACDC London 1988

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1778
    I saw The Smashing Pumpkins twice in two nights in 1993 because Verve were supporting them. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    Yes, many times, I think the last one was to see Walking Papers when they opened for Alice In Chains
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    edited November 2017
    Went to see a band called Born Ruffians at the Scala because another band called The Acorn were on the bill. Left after The Acorn and had a nice evening at the pub. 
  • Vai (with Devin) supporting Aerosmith at the NEC (Aerosmith were on the get a grip tour)
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Dokken supporting Accept In London 1986 and Dokken supporting ACDC London 1988
    I was at thee AC/DC gig in London!

thought lynch’s Sound was absolutely awful!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Yep, Mamas Boys, Magnum, Tull, Gary Moore supporting Marillion in 86
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Went to see Hole at the Zap so that I could catch The Heart Throbs as support. They should have been a huge band. Great songwriting, killer tunes.

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Vai (with Devin) supporting Aerosmith at the NEC (Aerosmith were on the get a grip tour)

Hey I was at that gig as well! Though my wife (who was my girlfriend at the time) claims not to have been there with me.....
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Loads of times. Most of the bands and musicians I'm friends with are still at support level so I go to cheer them on and then often duck out before I have to endure some act I don't want to see. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    mart said:
    Architecture in Helsinki. Just went to see the support, Caribou. In fact I went with Mr Caribou (Dan Snaith)’s Mum and Dad, since I know his Dad through work. 

I lasted two songs of AiH’s set before deciding they were too far up their own arses to be worth any more of my time.
    Ok now that's cool - Dan's a huge hero of mine
    Stop crying, start buying
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Many time

Saw Body Count once because Carcass were supporting. Prong and Life Of Agony because I wanted to see The Obsessed. Megadeth and Soubdgarden because corrosion of conformity were supporting.
    Moss said:
    mart said:

Ok now that's cool - Dan's a huge hero of mine
    It was cool, but very bizarre since they were so much older than everyone else present and looked a little out of place. But Dan’s lovely and was obviously really pleased they were there, just as they were obviously really proud.
    sev112 said:
    Milton Keynes? That was quite a gig!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    sev112 said:
    Mamas Boys were a damn fine band
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited November 2017
    Couple of years back I had to endure Dragonforce playing their one song 10 times...but I got to see Alestorm and The Defiled first so that made it worth it. 

To cap it all off the whiny twat front man for Dragonfarce kept complaining that he had a cold or something.

"Nobody's here to listen to you anyway, they just want to watch those other dudes do that thing with a guitar and play that song from guitar hero. Oh wait...all the other songs sound exactly the same. 

These guys are just masturbating with guitars now... 

At least we got to see Alestorm."

They actually had 3 support acts who were all better than them.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom