Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NVGD, 60s Gretsch Tennessean thanks to reverb.com

What's Hot
TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3185
edited November 2017 in Guitar
As some of you are aware the wife and I have been waiting on a new arrival -our daughter joined us safe and sound 12 days ago. So at 5am, half hour after her birth, proud dad mode kicked in and I wandered off to wake the new grand parents with the news. As one does after a night of breathing exercises and encouragement, I finally checked my email, only to find sat in my inbox was what I could only conclude was a fake; an email from reverb.com congratulating me on winning their 1967 Gretsch Tennessean competition.

After ascertaining that it was indeed real and I wasn’t going to need to pay a release fee to an off shore account or some Nigerian prince, I understandably got a bit excited. I knew I wouldn’t be buying another guitar for a while and I’d fancied a 6119 ever since seeing one on the wall of Peter Cooks Guitar World as a teen, eager to spend my paper round savings on each succesive step up the guitar ladder. At the time it had seemed unobtainable and here I was (possibly) getting a 50year old one for free (and expecting to be told it was a mistake at any moment) and being informed of it having only just become a father!

Well it arrived yesterday, before they could pick another winner more deserving and it’s a lovely instrument. Currently sporting flatwounds it exudes a mellow warmth that’ll be great for rhythm work. There’s a real jazzy honk behind the country sensibilities of the guitar’s appearance. The neck is not insubstantial (unlike so many 60s guitars) and it really does feel like the bridge between acoustic and electric instruments.

The eagle eyed will note the upgraded bridge, heavily tarnished pickups and decal on the headstock that I believe is an addition. Binding seems complete and in relatively good condition. Wear is playergrade but not heavy (oh dear is it safe in my hands). 

This is also the the first time I have used Hilo-Trons, I’m a huge fan of filtertrons but I’m not entirely put off these. The neck pickup sounds fantastic, really warm and absolutely huge but the bridge could do with a lot more clout to my ear, so I may swap this out for a filtertron in time or look at a re-wind (having searched a few threads and a quick google I notice @TheMarlin has experience of this so I might be mining his knowledge). The mud switch as is tradition seems pointless here, so there may be mileage in swapping caps on this but more research is required first (my last Gretsch had a tone control).

All in all it’s a great guitar and I feel very lucky to be borrowing it for a while, as it is clearly my daughters (lucky girl already has the coolest guitar in the house). 

It’d be remiss of me to not thank reverb.com, this is truly a stunning give away and extremely generous. @iain.reverb please pass on my thanks.

0reaction image LOL 21reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Thats fantastic - congratulations on both counts!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16644
    You bastard....

i mean congratulations. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:
    You bastard....

i mean congratulations. ;)

Yeah I deserve shooting for being this jammy. ;)
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10265
    Absolutely brilliant.Congrats on your win and your daughter.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Double congrats. Young and old! 
  • Wow, double congrats!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Cheers gents, feeling bloody lucky albeit sleep deprived. :)
  • You get used to the lack of sleep and soon get a routine going. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • You get used to the lack of sleep and soon get a routine going. 
    To be fair she is getting better. The first week was hell but that was to be expected and as much as anything we are starting to recognise her routine, which is making working around it a lot easier.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    You get used to the lack of sleep and soon get a routine going. 
    Also the baby can be tricky as well.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Double congrats mate! If that's not a keeper of a guitar I dont' know what is.
  • Brilliant, congrats x 2!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • AlexO said:
    Double congrats mate! If that's not a keeper of a guitar I dont' know what is.
    Yes, my serial flipper tendencies might have to be put on hold for this one, I think that’s why I’m already saying it’s Juliet’s -that way it’s not mine to sell. 
  • Fantastic J , very pleased for you :-)
  • Fantastic! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    Amazing!! Congratulations on two brilliant new additions
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • What a great story! Particular congratulations on your daughter - the Gretsch looks wonderful. 
  • What a great story! Particular congratulations on your daughter - the Gretsch looks wonderful. 
    Yeah it was definitely one of those moments that felt so far fetched there was no way I could have made it up. Although Mrs Teyeplayer took some convincing, she was sure I’d taken out a credit card on the quiet! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah it was definitely one of those moments that felt so far fetched there was no way I could have made it up. Although Mrs Teyeplayer took some convincing, she was sure I’d taken out a credit card on the quiet! :)
    I bought a 1964 335 to celebrate the birth of my son - you’ve definitely done it the ‘right’ way....
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    You jammy bastard. Two in the same month!