Windows update disaster

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15957
My pc w7 computer downloaded 2 or 3 updates yesterday and now the bugger will not boot

the wee black and white message says something like...........there is a problem with your hardware.........

thats why why I am typing this shit on hooters bloody iPad.......any clues?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6096
    If you hit F8 while it's booting can you get it to start up in safe mode?
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    See if it will start in Safe Mode (don't know how to do that on your machine, but I'm sure Hooter's iPad will) then get back to us. Is the "wee black and white message" before Windows starts loading?  (ie during POST, to use the technical term)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15957
    edited November 2017
    The message from Windows boot manager reads......failed to start,we suggest you run start up repair

another option at this point is start Windows normally.......this does not work either

so after start up repair check it says I have an I/o problem with hardware or software an unexpected I/o problem has occurred and quotes a nos oxeoooooeg

problem happened when I switched pc on after updates , machine just freezes at the Windows logo after the message and procedure

what is this safe mode and is it safe? :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Safe mode is where you agree a special password before so that you can stop if it hurts too much, or so I've heard.
    F8 just after switch on and it invokes windows safe mode which is a shell of main windows (complete with dodgy graphics) enabling you to access control areas of the PC. You could ferinstance restore to an earlier date from there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I switched off the automatic updates option long ago for this very reason.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1231
    When people say hit F8, from the moment you get past the initial BIOS boot screen, just keep tapping F8 a couple times a second. On windows of old, you would get a prompt for a couple seconds during loading where it told you about pressing F8 to enter safe mode, but now you don't, so just keep tapping it until you get a screen showing the safe mode boot options.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    Try F8 to enter menu then choose command prompt. From there type the following :-1: 

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

That will start system restore and from there you should be able to roll back to a date BEFORE the failed update install 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11743
    Do you not have the "Last Known Good Configuration" option??
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...