Speaker recommendation for a tweedy thing?

I sold a bunch of amps recently, and realised all I had left was a Champ. Foolish. But at least it's an excuse to build another one.

I'm thinking it's going to be a 5D3/4 (able to take 6V6 or 6L6). So, rich and tweedy, and up to around 25 watts. I play mostly swing and bebop stuff (or I give it my best shot) but do occasionally still get filthy.

What speaker would the kind members of the FB recommend? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Cannabis Rex for anything tweedy, IMO!
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I built a 5C5 a while back, pretty much the same circuit, but with octals in the preamp rather than 9 pins and 6L6's in the power amp.  I found a Celestion Gold was excellent.   The Weber 12A125-A was really nice,  a bit less powerful and probably a bit more old school, but at 25 watt rating, it's pushing the speaker a bit.   I tried a few ceramics and didn't like them, seem to bring out the upper mids and make the amp more "shouty" than it is with alnico. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    Standard response: Celestion Blue
  • Blue is only 15 watts, so unfortunately can't use one. And I've had a Cannabis Rex a while back and while it was good I didn't love it. Then again that was a blackface amp. Aren't they dark in a tweed?

The 5Cx amps caught my interest @ESchap but I was wary of the octal preamp and PI. What are the tone and feel differences as compared to ECC83/2/1 valves?
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited November 2017
    I've got converter valve bases for mine, so instead of the octals I can run the 12AY's and AX. In fact I can run any combination of octal or 9pin with the three preamp valves.  Main difference to my ears is the amp breaks up a little earlier (probably the extra gain in the PI) with the 9 pins and is a little brighter overall, still very nice.  However, it looses the woodiness and richer harmonics of the octals which I love for Jazzing ... dig in and the amp growls more with the octals.  A 15" speaker seems to accentuate the difference in the valves.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3151
    tFB Trader
    Octals just sound better, period.

I vote for WGS Blackhawk or G12A as great high-wattage Alnicos.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Hmmm, you've both got me thinking about a 5C build.  But these speaker recommendations are a bit much - they're all over £200!  What about an Eminence Legend 1258?  (He says, hoping to save £150.)

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3151
    tFB Trader
    The 1258 isn’t an Alnico, but that’s not the problem. They just sound a little lifeless in Tweed amps.

If you’re ever over my way, you’re welcome to pop in and try my octal tweed lineup 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• RiftAmps said:
    The 1258 isn’t an Alnico, but that’s not the problem. They just sound a little lifeless in Tweed amps.

If you’re ever over my way, you’re welcome to pop in and try my octal tweed lineup 
    I genuinely think the Cannabis Rex has a bit of that Alnico attack (once broken in) and isn’t an expensive speaker!

i am really interested in octal amps, I know almost nothing about them...
  • Thanks @RiftAmps. I'd love to. Not sure when I'll be over your way, but I'll certainly remember the offer.

I've put up a wanted ad, so I'll leave it to fate.