Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best bang for buck pointy floydy thing?

What's Hot
McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
edited November 2017 in Guitar
I went to see an old mate playing Maiden and Metallica covers (really rather well as it happens) last night and I have woken up with ringing ears, a massive Doom Bar hangover and an irrepressible desire to have a pointy floydy thing to pair up with my newly acquired Jet City Custom 22. 

What is is the best bang for buck, do you think? New or (more likely) used, probably with EMGs (never tried them before). He was playing a Jackson Kelly and a rare Jackson Phil Collen sig, both out of my league price wise. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Ibanez RG.....at whatever price point fits your pocket.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited November 2017
    Phil Collins Sig? ;) But seriously...
    My first thought was an Adrian Smith sig. By Jackson. 
    http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/4e3a8aab1941e2763a6b08998482c847.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    siraxeman said:
    Ibanez RG.....at whatever price point fits your pocket.
    Hmm. There's an interesting 'project' RG in the classifieds... that and a funky makeover might be fun.stimpsonslostson said:
    Phil Collins Sig? ;) But seriously...
    Bloody autocorrect  :s

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited November 2017
    I've got an RG Iron Label.
    Got it as an outgoing model, reduced from £600 to £450 earlier this year, actually, Natasha got it for me as a surprise gift.

It's good, it's got the same spec 'Vibrato' ( @voxman ) as the current Premium Jem's use, an Edge Zero II.
    I've modified mine by fitting the arm socket ' holder from the original 'Edge' unit so I can have a push fit arm instead of the screw cap clunky thing it came with.
    The fit and finish are great but as with seemingly all new guitars these days the locking nut shelf is too shallow so the 'Nut Height' for the strings is too high. If you want low action, it'll need to be lowered and it needs to be perfectly flat so for me, that's a trip to a tech.
    The frets are incredible and if they need any levelling when it does get set up, I'll be surprised if it's much.
    It came with EMG's but I took out the std wiring and fitted an EMG solderless system. Originally it had a kill switch.

The neck is a 3 piece maple and Bubinga and it's a Wizard III profile.

Value for money is always the thing with Ibanez and they don't fall short here.
    Factor in an extra £60 - £100 for a setup and maybe a few nice parts to change to taste and it's a really great guitar that's pointy and functional without going OTT.

There are plenty of RG's in this price range that don't come with EMG's, Natasha chose this one because she knew I wanted them ...

https://i.imgur.com/ncgY5P9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/J5vD9oq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6su9n4w.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/egp8zBl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hEW5I15.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CUSMhdk.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    80's Charvel mij model.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Where's that lovely birds' eye ibanez in the classifieds?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1075
    I got a BC Rich Mockingbird in Trans red (pointy and floyd rose'd + handy for G&R you could be mine covers ;) ) Lovely guitar & the only reason i don't play it is the vol controls is to close to the bridge pup and i keep catching my hand on it....

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/116819/bc-rich-mockingbird-st-trans-red-case-400#latest
    Thanks all. I really would like to try EMGs,though  - even if they are on the marmite side of things. I like the look of the Ibanez's and am not drawn to mad shapes, though my mate's Kelly looked cool on him. I just think my balding, uncool, paunchy corporation would somehow clash with the RR and Kelly shapes. 

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Proper bang for your buck would be a prestige ibanez. Keep um peeled as you can get them for around £500. Sometimes, even less
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Not best bang for buck , but this would be great fun and I'd do you a great deal....

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782

I’d say the LTD KH-602, but then I’m biased. It is bloody good though, I mean seriously, good enough that I've got 2 of them.

If you get one made in 2008 or before, they come with genuine made in Germany Floyd Roses, unlike the Korean FR1000 they come with nowadays.

I've had a lot of guitars pass through my hands... BC Rich, Schecter, Japanese Jacksons, none of them have been as good as the Korean LTDs.

• Keep your eyes peeled for a Korean (not Chinese) bc rich gunslinger.

Taxi cab yellow, one pickup, no tone control and a proper original Floyd Rose, not a licenced one. Stunning guitar, should never have sold mine :(

You can also get Ltd guitars - @FelineGuitars got my old Ltd h1001 which I adored and played the shit out of for years. Good pickups, excellent build, a bit ugly and cheaper electronic bits. Easily fixed, and a brilliant guitar for not much money second hand.

Or get that pointy thing from @FelineGuitars... Amazing thing! 
  • Ooo @hubobulous is selling a gorgeous burl topped ibby... The same model Dragonforce used before they got sig guitars! Lololol

Seriously though, they're great guitars for that money. I'm not big on the pickups but that's a completely personal thing... They're proper fun widdle sticks. 
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I used a jackson kelly for years live, it was a japanese kelly pro standard. These old jap ones tend to sell for peanuts but are outstanding guitars, and were not cheap when new. Thinnest neck I have ever seen though, so not for everyone but shredtastic :-P
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Not best bang for buck , but this would be great fun and I'd do you a great deal....

love the look of this! Proper cool purple tool!
    edited November 2017

Oh Jonathan. 

True to your brand, you've really put the cat among the canaries with that. It's even my wife's fave colour. 

The thing is - and I'm a bit ashamed to say it on an open forum - but I know deep down that this is a bit of a whim, a flight of fancy. That Kelly is waaaaay too good for me...

...but I'll bear it in mind  ;)