Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Soundbars vs speakers

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
edited November 2017 in Off Topic
This is our TV unit. If we upgrade from the current 37" TV to a larger 4K set at some point then chances are that my hifi speakers won't fit.
So.. do soundbars have good enough sound quality to replace decent stereo speakers? I've got a Denon RCD-M38DAB stereo going through Tannoy Mercury V1 speakers.

https://i.imgur.com/uDI7wFa.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12352
    If you want hi hi quality I think you will need one with a subwoofer or go to bose level etc which is pricey.  I have a 49 inch panasonic 4k tv and an £80 panasonic sound bar which is fine for what I would ever need.  Great sounding for sport and plenty loud for music.  Its bassy enough for my house but its a semi.  If you have no neighbours and want 300 decibels of banging techno you'd better spend more I think.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    A soundbase will generally sound richer than a soundbar - more air in it and room for bigger drivers.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    I've got an Orbitsound soundbar with woofer and it's fine enough for general TV and movie watching. But the stereo width is definitely less obvious than L+R speakers.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I've got the very same amp and speakers.
    Spooky!
  • No soundbar will match a proper pair of Tannoys + a decent amplifier.

Junk the wooden thing, put the Tannoys on stands, get a smaller base to put  the screen on, you don't need a huge amount of space to put the electronics in.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    edited November 2017
    No soundbar will match a proper pair of Tannoys + a decent amplifier.
    There be wisdom here.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    Sassafras said:
    I've got the very same amp and speakers.
    Spooky!
    If you had the same photo of my cat I definitely would be worried!

Junk the wooden thing, put the Tannoys on stands, get a smaller base to put  the screen on, you don't need a huge amount of space to put the electronics in.
    The unit is new and it's staying! I don't like speaker stands which is why I thought a soundbar might be the answer, but I've never used one.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I had our tv and bluray player going through my hifi at one time but it sounded too bassy with speech, although it was fine with action films. I switched to a soundbase and it works fine with everything and certainly waaaaay better than the built in tv speakers. Phil's idea isn't bad tbh, providing you've got the room. Stick the speakers on stands, problem solved
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    DiscoStu said:

The unit is new and it's staying! I don't like speaker stands which is why I thought a soundbar might be the answer, but I've never used one.

Soundbars and soundbases are better than you think but as has been said don't expect them to sound as good as your stereo speakers there.

They are compact, tidy and will let you fit a bigger TV on your new unit there though, so might be a good solution.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Bigger hifi > bigger tv (althouh big tvs are cool too...)
    Didn't know about soundbases until now!
    I reckon I'll stick with what I have and maybe not go as big with any new telly. Plus some of the soundbars I've seen cost more than my hifi system!
  • DiscoStu said:

The "unit" is your problem. HiFi is more important than furniture. Not liking speaker stands - why not, especially if they can improve the sound of your speakers AND allow you to place said speakers either side of your bigger screen. Trust me, soundbar is NOT the answer, especially when you already possess a pair of Tannoys.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Speaker stands or wall brackets for under £100 and keep the Tannoys. £100+ for a soundbar you might not like. I know which Id go for.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

DiscoStu said:

The "unit" is your problem. HiFi is more important than furniture. Not liking speaker stands - why not, especially if they can improve the sound of your speakers AND allow you to place said speakers either side of your bigger screen. Trust me, soundbar is NOT the answer, especially when you already possess a pair of Tannoys.
    Because my g/f moved in with me last month and that was one of the expensive new purchases when we refurnished the living room. I don't need to change the tv, just sussing out the options.
  • Jock68Jock68 Frets: 902
    Go for 7.2 surround sound.  When listening to music it blows away stereo, most streaming nowadays comes in 5.1..
    Jock
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    DiscoStu said:
    Didn't know about soundbases until now!
    I reckon I'll stick with what I have and maybe not go as big with any new telly. Plus some of the soundbars I've seen cost more than my hifi system!
    Our soundbase was £130. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    DiscoStu said:
    Because my g/f moved in with me last month and that was one of the expensive new purchases when we refurnished the living room. I don't need to change the tv, just sussing out the options.
    You can tell there’s a ladies influence from the pot plants and figurines! You’ll need the Tannoys as shelving from all her tat/trinkets, so get them on wall mounted brackets.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • DiscoStu said:

So.. do soundbars have good enough sound quality to replace decent stereo speakers? 

No. The quick answer is - no soundbar/base will ever sound as good as good quality stereo speakers. It comes with a cost though, so the question you should as yourself is - do I care for sleek style look and go for a soundbar with flatscreen or do I prefer bigger (and thus better) sound from 2+ speakers. Both choices are good - it's just what you need it for and what your preferences are...
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited November 2017
    DiscoStu said:
    DiscoStu said:

In which case the gf is the problem. Kick her out

EDIT

Your gaff, your HiFi. She likes it or lumps it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    edited November 2017
    Same speakers + speaker stands = job done!