Changed my mind on Martin (and NGD)

What's Hot
jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
edited November 2017 in Acoustics
I've been on the look out for a Martin for a while. I already have 2 acoustics (a Santa Cruz and a Collings - both OM variants) but I've been justifying another potential purchase on the grounds that so many players really rate Martin & they can't all be wrong so I really must be missing something. So, I've been playing tons of Martin dreads (as that's their flagship range plus I thought it would give me something different from my current OMs) but never felt the love.

This week, I decided to try Martin OMs. Long story short...I came home with an OM21 (no pics but its the stock model). Early days but thrashing out an E blues on the sofa it's great. The OM21 is a very uncluttered model (Rosewood, Sitka, black binding, butter bean tuners, no bling). At first I thought I would "tolerate" the neck as its not got the upmarket binding of my other guitars and doesn't look as refined. But after a couple of days playing, I really like the 1 3/4 neck. It's a good size for me and has a visceral feel I really like. 

I also think I now "get" what constitutes the Martin sound (though I couldn't begin to describe it).

I think this is a keeper - it's fun and has a utilitarian vibe and great tone that I like. I might tire of it and I probably would always want at least 1 other acoustic to provide something different and more refined. But I suspect the Collings might be in the departure lounge.....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Nice one!

I really liked the OM28 I played in a shop, and I ahve to admit I'm a sucker for 'that name' on the headstock. Good GAS 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyroll said:
    I've been on the look out for a Martin for a while. I already have 2 acoustics (a Santa Cruz and a Collings - both OM variants) but I've been justifying another potential purchase on the grounds that so many players really rate Martin & they can't all be wrong so I really must be missing something. So, I've been playing tons of Martin dreads (as that's their flagship range plus I thought it would give me something different from my current OMs) but never felt the love.

This week, I decided to try Martin OMs. Long story short...I came home with an OM21 (no pics but its the stock model). Early days but thrashing out an E blues on the sofa it's great. The OM21 is a very uncluttered model (Rosewood, Sitka, black binding, butter bean tuners, no bling). At first I thought I would "tolerate" the neck as its not got the upmarket binding of my other guitars and doesn't look as refined. But after a couple of days playing, I really like the 1 3/4 neck. It's a good size for me and has a visceral feel I really like. 

I also think I now "get" what constitutes the Martin sound (though I couldn't begin to describe it).

I think this is a keeper - it's fun and has a utilitarian vibe and great tone that I like. I might tire of it and I probably would always want at least 1 other acoustic to provide something different and more refined. But I suspect the Collings might be in the departure lounge.....
    FFS.  Pictures or it didn't happen.

The Martin 21 style is my favourite of theirs.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    not played a martin I didn't like. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuego said:
    I have and plenty of them
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I used to have an OM-21 when they first came out - it remains the best-sounding Martin I've ever played. Sadly I just could not get on with the neck size and bridge string spacing.

I have a friend who is a very good classical guitarist who was looking for a nice acoustic at the time, so I sold it to her - of course the neck is perfect for a classical player.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    TimmyO said:
    Nice one!

I really liked the OM28 I played in a shop, and I ahve to admit I'm a sucker for 'that name' on the headstock. Good GAS 
    Cheers mate. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

ICBM said:
    I used to have an OM-21 when they first came out - it remains the best-sounding Martin I've ever played. Sadly I just could not get on with the neck size and bridge string spacing.

I have a friend who is a very good classical guitarist who was looking for a nice acoustic at the time, so I sold it to her - of course the neck is perfect for a classical player.
    I believe they changed the neck profile c.2012 so maybe give it another try! 
    jellyroll said:

I believe they changed the neck profile c.2012 so maybe give it another try! 
    It still says 1-3/4" nut width and 2-5/32" string spacing in the spec, so no good unfortunately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    VimFuego said:
    I have and plenty of them
    Same here. Many of them have left me completely underwhelmed.
    On the other hand, I've played one or two that have been stunning.
  • I bloomin love Martins. Never played an OM-21. I must fix this!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited November 2017
    I was firmly in the “Martins are unispiring” camp before this. I think I might now be in the "dreads are unispiring" camp. 
  • ICBM said:

It still says 1-3/4" nut width and 2-5/32" string spacing in the spec, so no good unfortunately.
    They now have a thin Taylor neck profile, same nut width but a touch less string spacing at the saddle than a Taylor. 

2 5/32" is about the same string spacing as a Telecaster.

• I've had an OM18V for the best part of 14 years now and it is a lovely guitar, one day I hope to match it up with an OM28V, then hopefully I can retire from any further purchases.
    earwighoney said:

They now have a thin Taylor neck profile, same nut width
    Even worse!

2 5/32" is about the same string spacing as a Telecaster.
    Yes, and one of the reasons I prefer the 60s threaded bridge saddles is that you can narrow it slightly. That's the lesser of the issues though.

I much prefer the neck size and string spacing of my Gibson Dove anyway :).

• jellyroll said:
    I was firmly in the “Martins are unispiring” camp before this. I think I might now be in the "dreads are unispiring" camp. 
    Have you tried an HD28? I LOVE mine...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I have but I think I was mentally comparing it (and the D28 & 35 I played) to my OMs. I guess one has to think of dreads almost as a different instrument and assess them in their own right. I probably will try Dreads again but actually I think for what I do (noodling on the sofa) OMs are a better fit (literally).
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 197
    edited November 2017
    Welcome to the club,I know it’s all personal taste etc etc etc.But when you find a good one,enjoy!!! 

Welcome to the club,I know it’s all personal taste etc etc etc.But when you find a good one,enjoy!!! 

Thanks!
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 197
    edited November 2017
    jellyroll said:
    I have but I think I was mentally comparing it (and the D28 & 35 I played) to my OMs. I guess one has to think of dreads almost as a different instrument and assess them in their own right. I probably will try Dreads again but actually I think for what I do (noodling on the sofa) OMs are a better fit (literally).
    Although it’s sold ,But my M36 was like a sort of cross between dreads and a om.They are a bit of a rarity but worth it if you can source one.(buyer is flying in from France)