Better instruments make you play better

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
Well, that's been my experience with this here Baranik.

I find myself paying more attention to the production of the sound by how I play each note/strum (because it makes a difference for a start). In some ways this slows me down and has me thinking about all that rather than cracking on with learning or technique, but ultimately it's very rewarding. 

I do catch myself doing a Tap-esque "listen to the sustain on that" sometimes though :-) 
Red ones are better. 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15482
    there is no doubt that, for me, a good instrument, one that is visually and sonically pleasing, makes me play a lot more, hence better.

and yes, sometimes I do the playing a single note and just being amazed at how good it sounds thing as well.. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Yes. I bought a Martin 12-string when I could barely play, and it forced me to learn to - it sounded so great when I managed to play something right that it was a real incentive - as well as drastically increasing my hand strength so then playing a 6-string felt easy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    totally agree, its made me think of the sound i am making more than ever, an appreciation of tone if you like, slowed down my learning but i think i play with a real concern for those sounds, its more focus on the mechanics, the strike of the pick, its angle, its strength, do i drag it etc etc.  There is a real direct connection with the guitar 

With a great guitar all of these have a real impact and for me totally justify the expense and negates the arguments over whether they are worth the extra or not
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I wish :)
  • My first guitar was an Hondo Les Paul copy and it was awful and definitely uninspiring to play. I replaced with it a 77 Strat and it was like night and day, despite the reputation of 70's Fenders. It had tremendous sustain and was probably the main reason I kept on playing.
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    A quality instrument makes you want to pick it up and play and try to get the best out of it.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    I mean above and beyond just enjoying it so playing more
    Red ones are better. 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Absolutely agree. Been one of my biggest discoveries in a post-divorce, allowed to spend money on guitars world!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15482
    TimmyO said:
    I mean above and beyond just enjoying it so playing more
    well, compared to the mando I gave you and the one I bought off noisy it's not just I enjoy playing it, having a better action makes it much easier to play, which means I'm making fewer mistakes.
    On a fiddle forum I recently asked if it was time to upgrade my beginner bow, I got quite a long reply from one chap who said that when he upgraded his bow he could now play stuff that was amolst impossible with his cheap bow. 
    So yes, clearly better instruments (though nor necessarily more expensive but generally are) make you play better.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4155
    edited November 2017
    TimmyO said:

I find myself paying more attention to the production of the sound by how I play each note/strum (because it makes a difference for a start). In some ways this slows me down and has me thinking about all that rather than cracking on with learning or technique, but ultimately it's very rewarding. 

I believe that committing time and effort to pulling the best tone you possibly can from the guitar is hugely beneficial to overall technique and you should't view it as a distraction from developing other aspects of your playing - because the things that create great tone are the same things that underpin other technical stuff (like building speed)....playing without tension, fretting right behind the fret, accuracy with the picking hand, generally playing from a feeling of being "settled". If you strive for quality in every note, other technique will flow more easily from there.

As for instruments inspiring better playing, I think there are a lot of things that could be going on, beyond the obvious factors like better set up and playability. As you say, good guitars generally reward your efforts by delivering better sounds the better you play them (there's a flip side....great guitars can be the most punishing when you fluff something on them) and that's inspiring. Also, there can be some psychology at play - for many people, an acoustic is just something to strum away on, but someone who is sitting with a few grand's worth of acoustic on their lap has generally been on a bit of a journey to get to that point and that, whatever it may be, can be what's inspiring the step up in playing as much as the instrument itself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Years ago, a mate had this really old, battered parlour size Martin. The action was high enough to put your whole hand under it but that didn't matter because it sounded so unbelievably good you just wanted to play it till your fingers bled.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I love playing good guitars. To me, the experience of handling and getting to know a hand crafted acoustic instrument is part of the hobby.  And I have used the OP's hypothesis to justify my GAS.

There is obviously some truth to it; bad guitars = harder to play, etc.

But really, we've all heard that great player who can make a mediocre instrument sound godly.

And as has been said, slowing down to hear the instrument can be a good thing. But being overly conscious of the instrument can become a distraction from the music eg if it turns into fetishizing over the sustain (I'm guilty of this).