Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Finally going for a decent tube amp...

What's Hot
Hey guys,

So this is a tough one... I've had my Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe for a few years now, but never got around to buying an amplifier good enough for it. To be honest, due to spacial and financial constraints (I've been a student for the past four years living in student accommodation) I've had to settle for amps that were truly rubbish: Line 6 Spider III, Marshall DSL5C and a Marshall MG15CFR (current amp, and by far the worst). I've decided to go for a tube amp, for maximum quality and a combo since I don't play any live gigs or anything of the sort, it'd only be used for home playing (not more than 50W). 

Given my history with Marshall amps, I'm tempted to lean away from them, but I can appreciate that the Marshall amps I've had were exceptionally bad and therefore, I would be open to the idea. Tha main hurdle is the fact that I like to play a really wide variety of genres. I mostly play Metallica, Iron Maiden and Guns N' Roses, but I also love playing a more bluesy John Mayery-Hendrixian genre with a relatively clean tone. So versatility is key! 

I'm also a pedal guy, so I want something that works great with stompboxes. My budget is around £1000 ($1325) give or take £200 ($270).

I've done a little research and found a number of interesting ideas, though I'd be open to others:

Fender Bassbreaker
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
Orange Rocker 15/32
Marshall DSL40C
Marshall JVM205C/215C

Lastly, I'm looking for an amp that will last. No nonsense Marshall MG quality crap. 

I'd really appreciate the help guys,

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• nick79nick79 Frets: 253
    If you can find one used then i would suggest a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb 25.Will cover all the bases you have listed and more, and will last a lifetime. 

You have a healthy budget to play with though so you have many many options, i suggest the Rectoverb as i have one (well, a Mini Rec but basically the same thing only its a head rather than combo and no reverb) and for me it pretty much does everything. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79 said:
    If you can find one used then i would suggest a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb 25.Will cover all the bases you have listed and more, and will last a lifetime. 

You have a healthy budget to play with though so you have many many options, i suggest the Rectoverb as i have one (well, a Mini Rec but basically the same thing only its a head rather than combo and no reverb) and for me it pretty much does everything. 
    Actually, that exact amp is my dream amp. But, it is unfortunately way over my budget. Any 2nd best option?
  • If you like Mesa you could get a Mesa Express 25+ for your budget (secondhand) there are a couple on fleabay now.  Failing that, what about Rivera?  Either amp will get you good clean and plenty of gain on tap.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Perhaps one of the Hughes &Kettner Tubemeister range. I have the TM1812 and it’s hugely versatile. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253

I've done a little research and found a number of interesting ideas, though I'd be open to others:

Fender Bassbreaker
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
    Orange Rocker 15/32
    Marshall DSL40C
    Marshall JVM205C/215C
    Of that list I would buy the Marshall JVM - whichever you have room for, but the 215 is fine. Your sound choices are quite Marshall-based overall, and that's by far the better-sounding of the modern Marshall options you've listed in my opinion.

You should also consider a Rivera of some sort - they do a very good combination of Fender and Marshall-type sounds, with outstanding build quality.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randellarandella Frets: 4166
    nick79 said:

Actually, that exact amp is my dream amp. But, it is unfortunately way over my budget. Any 2nd best option?
    I found a used Mini Rec for £800 a few years back, so may not be beyond the realms. If you don't *have* to have a combo it's doable. 

It it really is a very very good amplifier. At a pinch I could do a whole gig on clean (pushed) but then you've got so much other goodness too. Hit it with a drive (I use a boggo SD-1) and it really sings on either channel. 

It's not a Marshall, nor is it a Fender, but it does an approximation, and transparently enough that you can find your own tone. I bloody love it. 

It's loud too. Nearly forgot that bit. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4166
    edited November 2017
    Either way that's a tidy budget. You'll find something very nice, whatever make or model it might end up being. Happy hunting 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Are you looking to buy new or used? If used, that budget will practically get you anything!
  • If you like Mesa you could get a Mesa Express 25+ for your budget (secondhand) there are a couple on fleabay now.  Failing that, what about Rivera?  Either amp will get you good clean and plenty of gain on tap.
    +1 on the express
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Rivera make lovely, versatile amps.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I've had some expensive amps and sold them, I'm currently just running a little egnator tweaker 15 head which has been a keeper  backup amp. I'll be looking for the next shiny boutique one no doubt, but this tweaker really does do a good job and I'm finding it hard to justify spending the muller! I'd go and try as many as you can (not just expensive ones) and let your ears decide what you need. IMHO of course!
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 253
    I paid £550 for my Mini Rec. Admittedly i was very lucky but they are out there. If your dream amp is a Rectoverb then make it happen! That way you only cry once :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4774
    edited November 2017
    This would do you I reckon, well within your budget mate:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/115934/

I appreciate that its a bit over the wattage you were after but not by much!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Boromedic said:

Much more importantly, the volume controls work properly. It's far better to have a 55W amp with a decent MV than a 5W one without, in fact…

If you want a mix of Fender and Marshall sounds with extremely high build quality, that's going to be very hard to beat at that price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8789
    Boromedic said:

What a splendid suggestion. Chiming Fender cleans on one channel, and more hair than an 80’s metal band on the other. And for roughly half your budget! :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I Just so happen to have a Mesa Rectoverb combo for sale in the classifieds well within your budget 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    Seeing no-one has mentioned it, I'd recommend auditioning a couple of better modellers, including the Katana.  I used to have a Marshall MG250DFX and it was rubbish, so I feel your pain, but modelling and SS have come along leaps and bounds.

Otherwise I seriously hope you have understanding neighbours, as most of the valve amps you listed sound lousy at normal "home" volumes, and if you were to get a 50w valve amp and drive it to get a good sound, your neighbours three streets away could be affected as well!

There are lower powered valve amps, like the Blackstar HT5, Bassbreaker 007 etc. that could fit your bill?  As a pedal guy you might want to steer away from the Bassbreaker 007 though as it has no FX loop.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    edited November 2017

Otherwise I seriously hope you have understanding neighbours, as most of the valve amps you listed sound lousy at normal "home" volumes, and if you were to get a 50w valve amp and drive it to get a good sound, your neighbours three streets away could be affected as well!
    Personally, I completely disagree. I find it far easier to get a decent sound at low home volumes with a good big amp with the master volume turned down than with a small amp.

darthed1981 said:

you might want to steer away from the Bassbreaker 007 though as it sounds like it's underneath a sofa in the next room.
    Edited for accuracy :).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79 said:
    I paid £550 for my Mini Rec. Admittedly i was very lucky but they are out there. If your dream amp is a Rectoverb then make it happen! That way you only cry once :)

@KareemMonzer There's a Rectoverb 25W combo at Coda Music for just tiny shade over your budget. Stunning amp.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    ICBM said:

Personally, I completely disagree. I find it far easier to get a decent sound at low home volumes with a good big amp with the master volume turned down than with a small amp.
    To be fair I've never had one in my home, only in guitar shops, but I found even a Vox AC4 needed to be far louder than felt social in the shop to sound decent.  It is possible Vox AC4s suck though!

My home volume is also very, very low.  I mean on my Katana its usually set at 0.5w with the master at about 9 o'clock!  If I could justify a "fair" home volume I've no doubt you are correct. :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...