Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How many times will I buy a les paul

What's Hot

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8790
    Don’t know about the new ones, but Vintage Yamaha SGs are built like tanks. Gutted that I don’t get on with mine - I’m a Vintage radius man I’m coming to realise...  

with apols for the thread hijack :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoans said:
    Don’t know about the new ones, but Vintage Yamaha SGs are built like tanks. Gutted that I don’t get on with mine - I’m a Vintage radius man I’m coming to realise...  

with apols for the thread hijack :D
    I’ll have a look. There’s a guy up north who sells the vintage ones really cheap. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I did this for 15 years, then got a 335. Finally made sense 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    You really need a Yamaha SG.

Les Paul killer, and even boasts a body contour on the back. ;)
    That’s the second time an SG has been suggested in recent weeks. Of the current standard models I’ve seen nothing has looked that well built. 
    I've still got my Yam SG and had it 40 years - brought it at the time over any LP I could find - obviously having had it 40 years it can't be bad but I feel that PRS with models like the 594, Modern Eagle and some McCarty models and the DGT are better

Just can't get the SG warm enough - maybe the weight and ebony board - tried loads of different vintage flavored p/ups on it over the years and the overall vibe is not vintage enough for me - you can almost tell that when playing unplugged - Fine with hi-gain and funnily enough on pure clean but not on the Green/Kossoff style blues with less gain - just somehow lacks the soul and emotion that an LP offers and a 594 and Modern Eagle offers
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Dibs.

I actually really really like Les Pauls.

But I’m weird...
  • I've had 6-8...from Murphy aged historics to studios.....got a standard HP at the mo which is ok i suppose, but i guess i'm not a LP man......but god i wish i was
  • get a 335 ...you won't be disappointed :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I did this for 15 years, then got a 335. Finally made sense 
    This next I think. 
  • I've had a 58 historic and 2 standards from the 90s. Loved the looks hated playing them. Then I lucked out with a couple Norlin era ones. Both feel totally different to my old ones and what I always kind f "wanted" a LP to be like. Dont be put off by the naysayers of the 70s guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitar said:
    get a 335 ...you won't be disappointed :)
    I did....and like an idiot i p/x'd against another LP, and regretted it straightaway.....335 is defo on the incoming list 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    They look very pretty but I've never really got on with the sound or the ergonomics.
  • tone1 said:
    This was bought new by a mate in August from Peach. I took it in px with a pot of cash for another guitar
  • skaguitar said:
    get a 335 ...you won't be disappointed :)
    Any particular reissue or spec?
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    I've given up on full fat LP's -  I won't be buying any more. They just don't work for me despite how much I want them to. Now a special or junior and I'm good to go.. or an SG.. or an SG special in particular.. they just seem to work for me better. Different folks, different strokes I guess.
  • tone1 said:
    Not one of mine, looks very nice though
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited November 2017
    JerkMoans said:
    You really need a Yamaha SG.

Les Paul killer, and even boasts a body contour on the back.
    That’s the second time an SG has been suggested in recent weeks. Of the current standard models I’ve seen nothing has looked that well built. 
    I've still got my Yam SG and had it 40 years - brought it at the time over any LP I could find - obviously having had it 40 years it can't be bad but I feel that PRS with models like the 594, Modern Eagle and some McCarty models and the DGT are better

Just can't get the SG warm enough - maybe the weight and ebony board - tried loads of different vintage flavored p/ups on it over the years and the overall vibe is not vintage enough for me - you can almost tell that when playing unplugged - Fine with hi-gain and funnily enough on pure clean but not on the Green/Kossoff style blues with less gain - just somehow lacks the soul and emotion that an LP offers and a 594 and Modern Eagle offers
    Yes. The Yamaha has that ebony board and a 3 piece maple/mahogany neck. Also the original Yam pickups have a brighter top end. I get on with mine. But I'm less of a purist and find the bright top end works great with FX. 

Ironically the Les Paul I bought in January is the best one I've owned out of the four I've had. But I play my Yamaha SG more. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    I started on Les Pauls but each time I play one now I get annoyed with all the design flaws. Still doesn't stop me wanting one again though. Just love that massive tone with the endless sustain and the position they hang on a strap.. I think if I get an LP style again it'll be one with some more modern refinements and lighter weight like a PRS or LTD eclipse.