Help / Suggestions - Guitar for my Old Man for Xmas - Finger Style .

What's Hot
AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
As the title says -

I'm going to get my old fella a new acoustic guitar for Christmas.

I've got a budget of £400-£600 max.

He plays Tommy Emmanuel / solo finger style but without the percussive bussiness.

He's a decent player but has no interest in gear. I.e he thinks I'm a idiot who hides behind pedals and expensive gear (he's not wrong) so the name on the headstock doesn't matter to him.

He's been playing his battered Japanese Martin copy since the 70s and it's almost unplayable these days.

I'm not very clued up when it comes to acoustics, I've been looking at the Sigma https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/sigma-lm-sg00-vintage-sunburst  - but could do with some more suggestions / advice for this sort of thing. 

Would also need to be able to plug it in for live playing.

Cheers chaps
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    In that budget range Sigma is a very good bet. I have a Sigma 000 mahogany which is great for fingerstyle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    I have a simon and patrick sp6 cedar which they now call a woodland, £439 in Gak, I'm not much of an acoustic player but I really like mine and there is some pretty good review.  Sons of the Godin chap I believe.  Also make Seagull guitars.  made in Canada.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
  • A Yamaha LS16 or LS6 would be very similar in style and shape to Emmanuel's Maton.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Faith FTW :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Every Sigma I’ve played has been superb.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Ref the S&P / Seagull guitars - I don't know how they are these days, but my two from the 90's have really wide necks.  It suits me, but might not suit your dad, depending on what he's used to...

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Anyone know what the Martins are like in that price bracket? 

Think the dreadnought junior is close to the top end of your budget and I'm sure I remember people raving about that... 
  • Nitefly said:
    Ref the S&P / Seagull guitars - I don't know how they are these days, but my two from the 90's have really wide necks.  It suits me, but might not suit your dad, depending on what he's used to...

My S&P Woodland Pro folk is 43mm I think, so not wide at all. The OP may be able to get one for £600 and it's a fine guitar. Mine is all mahogany, all solid. I'm actually trying to sell mine at the mo', but only locally (South Wales) so no good I guess.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    Nitefly said:

The old Jap guitar he plays has a baseball and then he also plays a nylon string which has the most ridiculous wide neck I've ever played so not a issue.

He's oldschool, he thinks electric guitars are cheating as they too easy to play 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Chris_J said:
    Anyone know what the Martins are like in that price bracket? 

Think the dreadnought junior is close to the top end of your budget and I'm sure I remember people raving about that... 

I've got an OOO X1AE.  I really like it.  Some people don't like the unfinished look and non-traditional materials, but it's a really good guitar.  I did have more money to spend when I bought that but I thought it sounded better than other guitars that were close to twice the price.  It's not as good as my HD28V, but that is in a very different price bracket.

Plugged in it does benefit from a TC Bodyrez pedal, but that probably goes for all the guitars in this price range.  The pickups are likely to be a bog standard undersaddle.