Basset & Brown

BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
edited November 2017 in Off Topic
This one is definitely for the doggy types..

Some of you may remember a thread I posted a while back about our latest dog rescue, and the fact that Mrs B and I have done some voluntary work for a local dog pound pulling organisation.

As time has gone on, we have realised that part of the system is missing. As dogs get rescued from the pound, they usually either go straight to a big established rescue centre, or to a long term breed-specific rescue. Some very fortunate ones get either a foster or a permanent home straight away.

But there are some that don't fall into these categories. They are usually the abused, the injured, the scared and the really bad cases that aren't ready for a rescue or a permanent home.

These guys don't get much chance at all. The majority are put to sleep as there is no where for them to go and no funding for helping them out.

So me and Mrs B are going to start our own charitable organisation to act as a half way house for them. My business is going to be the first long term sponsor, making regular donations, and we will be out and about finding other businesses that might want to do the same as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility. Similarly we will fund raise as well.

We will start small. We have a great relationship with a local kennels and our first step is a permanent kennel all of our own - we have the funds to do this from January. We will need to source funding for behaviourists, vets, and other treatment, but from January we will have one space ready for dogs to come in, get some funded time to help them out, and some love and attention till they are ready to move on to a full rescue for rehoming. 

We will always be a small concern - long term we would like to have 6 or so permanent kennels, and access to people who can help get dogs healthy and their issues sorted. We think most dogs will spend a month or two in our kennels being looked after and getting the treatment they need. 

To be honest it's a properly scary prospect. It's going to be a lot of work (especially for Mrs B ) I'd say we are nervously excited about doing it. Our organisation is going to be called Basset & Brown Halfway House.

Thought this might be of interest to people. If it is, I'll run a little diary on this thread so you can see some piccies of the dogs we get in, and how they develop, and maybe, hopefully, a few good news stories as they either get a rescue spot or a new home.
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Well done buddy
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    social media may be a good way to elicit another funding stream
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Ro_S said:
    social media may be a good way to elicit another funding stream
    Facebook has a lot of "dog rescue" following groups - Mrs B will certainly use it to promote what we are doing. The RSPCA use facebook quite a lot, as do Dogs Trust. 

Apparently some connected industries (pet foods, stores, etc. etc.) have funding streams you can apply for, so that will be an early port of call
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Nice one!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• All the best with it :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    What a great project, wishing you guys all the best with it.  :)

We're not planning to get another dog so soon after losing our Lab, but we fully intend our next one to be a rescue dog. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Wow, hat's off to you two for doing a lovely thing. I hope it goes really well
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Well done, its a very worthwhile cause. My wife and I have only ever had rescue dogs (one of which had previously been beaten consistently). Given time, love and patience, they have all turned into great companions.

Id be very interested in following a diary on your experiences, and would be happy to forward/share any advertising/fund raising info you put out on t'interweb.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    Thanks all.

I will keep a diary here and update this. Might be a little while until we get up and running, but it's going ahead now.

• Good on you both.
    If I ever get another dog in the future, I'm pretty sure I'd go for a rescue.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Sweeeeet! G'luck!
    Got our first “customer” today.

This is Donna, a lurcher cross. She was stray and had to be caught. Been in the wild for a while - looks like an abandoned hare courser. 

Grossly underweight, ear infections and a skin complaint. She’s very timid and is going to need some care before she’s rehomed.

• Good in you. I follow the Edward Foundation a charity/foster/training group for Bulldogs. They do halfway house with registered foster carers before re-homing.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Awwwwwwww....
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Obviously missed this first time around. We've had rescue dogs ( there's been a rescue terrier in my life for the majority of it, currently Sir Smellalot who has just cost us £700 in dental work :anguished: ) and supported Dogs Trust. There are a couple of rescue centres near us ( including the new, very posh RSPCA one where Alan Davies pops up with a camera crew from time to time) where we've been to open days type stuff. So, very worthwhile activity from my point of view @Bridgehouse . Donna looks very cute , I like a lurcher type dog. I hope she recovers and finds a good home. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I might be missing something obvious here but I can't see a funding/donation page or link.
    fob said:
    I might be missing something obvious here but I can't see a funding/donation page or link.
    Don’t have all the details set up yet. We will do eventually. For now, you can all enjoy the stories ;)