I don’t know anything about amps.

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
edited November 2017 in Amps
I’ve only ever had cheap amps at home due to having to play quietly.

however this will change in the near future and will have somewhere where I can actually use them.

i don’t play live so just want something I can use at home and out. 

My amp knowledge is limited. I know what types of amps sound like for example but the technical aspects of things no idea. 

Where is good starting point? I like playing classic rock. I know it’s a bit of a generic question! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• May I be the first to suggest - Boss Katana...

Seems to be the stock answer for this sort of question. I gave in to the temptation/hype last weekend and bought one... 
  • Can’t go wrong with a Marshall for rock. Covers most tones  and you can use pedals too. The DSL combo series are good and not stupidly priced, depending how much you want to spend.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    edited November 2017
    What do you want to know?

The only stuff you really need to think about is...

Do you want valve or solid state?

Valve amps are generally perceived to sound better (although the difference is getting less as better solid-state amps are developed) but will weigh quite a bit more, and cost more than solid state. Valve amps also need to be pushed quite hard to get the best from them.

Modelling or analogue?

Solid state is generally divided into modelling or analogue. Modelling amps will usually come with lots of effects and amp 'models' to play with. Analogue amps tend to be simpler beasts and a bit more plug'n'play. Analogue will normally take drive pedals better than modelling amps. 

Watt Whatage?

If you're not intending to play live, I'd suggest you don't 'need' any more than about 35 - 40 Watts for solid state. And no more than about 15 Watts for valve.

Hope this helps.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Budget?
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2570
    tFB Trader
    You right, you don't know anything until you get a non master tube amp and crank it right up.........

I gigged valve amps for years, then built my first 18w amp and turned it up, life changing experience..
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited December 2017

I don’t know anything about amps

...but I won't do 'that'!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Don't touch that dial.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was thinking another possibility of course it's expensive is to buy a kemper. I mainly play with headphones and could also use it with a studio monitor and have the option to use it live (unlikely to happen but who knows. all these different tones is really attractive to me. 

Not going to rush into buying one, long term idea. 

• nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    If you are thinking of going down the modeller route have a look at the Line 6 Helix.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    edited December 2017
    Is there a wide spread of type of music that you want to play? So will you need pristine cleans? A bit of drive? AC/DC crunch? Earth shattering doom distortion? Will you need effects - delay, chorus, phaser, compressor, boost?
     All of the above?

Yes? Then you are unlikely to find one valve amp to do all of these, in which case you'll need to add a bunch of effects pedals on to the list.

The Kemper is a great piece of kit, but unless you are going to model specific amps and effects then it's overkill - I found when I had one that I gravitated to 4 or 5 particular modelled amps each time, and the other 100 or so never got used!

Eventually I sold the Kemper and went for a Helix. It has about 20 amp models, loads of effects and is easy to use. I use it at home and at band practice - with a 10 year old Mackie SRM450v2.

I still have 2 valve amps, and there is "something" about playing into an amp that you have to experience IMO.

"The decision is yours". 

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I'm honestly not being flippant, but if you can I would head down to somewhere like PMT who stock a selection of amps at a range of prices, sizes, outputs, etc. and have an hour or two playing to see what you like. Then check back here and elsewhere online with your shortlist to get current user views, reviews, pitfalls, buying options, etc.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11679
    I'd just buy a Katana 50 and be done with it.

But then that's what I did personally so I would say that! :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Classic rock = Marshall. Hendrix played though a Marshall. AC/DC play though Marshalls. Slash plays through a Marshall. No need to look at any other brands.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Plectrum said:
    Classic rock = Marshall. Hendrix played though a Marshall. AC/DC play though Marshalls. Slash plays through a Marshall. No need to look at any other brands.
    Hard to argue with this! 
  • Plectrum said:
    True, but the OP might be playing at lower volumes than these... :)

And, I doubt that they used headphones !
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Plectrum said:
    True, but the OP might be playing at lower volumes than these... :)

And, I doubt that they used headphones !

Marshall don't just make 100 watt valve heads ;)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.