Small keyboard which sound good

What's Hot
So looking at a small keyboard which sounds good for portable, acoustic duo set up. Any recommendations or suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited November 2017
    I suggest narrowing down the possibilities by describing your duo in a little more detail.
    • Does portable mean self-contained, battery-powered, street performers?
    • Does small mean two to four octaves of full-size keys or 60+ mini keys?
    • Are you looking for traditional piano, organ and pad sounds, preset General MIDI sound banks or a fully programmable synthesizer?
    • Is the keyboardist a properly trained, sight reading type? Can he/she cope with an accordion?

For indoor, mains-powered work, the old Roland U20 / Rhodes 660 might fit the bill. 

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1562
    Budget would be handy to know too, and whether it will be going through PA. Also whether you are thinking of something which could provide accompaniment such as rhythms (assuming not, but 'keyboard' can mean many different things)
  • Yamaha PSR-353 is good for a lot of things and not too pricey.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited December 2017
    I had a similar search for one and very much like my Yamaha mx49 I ended up with, cheap from cash generators. 49 keys, a vast array of very useful piano, epiano and organ sounds (and other stuff). I think the keys are slightly smaller than my proper piano but in a different league entirely than those crap micro keys. I have a piano style sustain pedal which names it more realistic.

It can do all manner of other stuff like play and record midi files for backing tracks or arranging which would be really useful for demos if I could work out how to do it!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic