Nut Slot Depth Independent of String Gauge?

What's Hot
So I know that the nut should be cut so that, when the string is fretted after the second fret, there is as little as possible space between the string and the first fret without it touching.

Am I right in thinking that, because this straight line is created by the bottom of the string, then a nut could be cut using, say, an 8 gauge set and it would apply to a 13 gauge set (or vice versa)?

I'm purely talking about how deeply the nut is cut, I know that for different string gauges the width of each slot will need to be different and that the extreme example I've used is purely theoretical.

The real world situation that's prompting this enquiry is to know that if I cut the nut using 9 gauge strings to set the depth; could I switch to 10 gauge without it then possibly touching the frets?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Yes.

Since the groove should also be wider than the string and *not* a tight fit, as long as it's just wider than the largest gauge you will use then it will take any gauge below that as well - provided the groove is cut correctly with a smooth rounded bottom. ( :) )

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Thank you!
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    edited November 2017
    @ICBM ;; This is interesting - sorry OP to butt in, but if I use say a 10 high E, would a slot cut properly for a 12 be OK do you reckon?
    randella said:
    @ICBM ;; This is interesting - sorry OP to butt in, but if I use say a 10 high E, would a slot cut properly for a 12 be OK do you reckon?
    Yes, probably perfect.

It's actually a myth that the groove needs to be cut accurately for the string gauge - in fact, it can be greater than that with no problem, *provided* it's shaped correctly. The correct shape is a semi-circular bottom, of slightly larger radius than the string - that means the string will always sit at the bottom of the groove and only contact it along a single line in the middle. (Hence why it then doesn't matter what gauge the string is, the bottom of it will always be at the same height.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It it true that the after the 'take off' point at the fingerboard end of the nut slot, a string will rise a little before 'coming down' again - and that rise is influenced a little by string gauge?
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited September 2020
    The slots on the nut  are to maintain the string spacing . The best tool  to  use to make the slots, is a round tapering  needle file. The slots only need  to be half the strings thickness deep , to  keep the string in place . ideally  the string will sit at the bottom of a semi  circular slot , that is  just a bit wider than the string .   
  • Wis for IC. The first thing I do with any guitar is widen the slots just a tad, using an old set of welders nozzle cleaners, which help give a nice circular bottom, so to speak. Never had any issues
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    jaymenon said:
    It it true that the after the 'take off' point at the fingerboard end of the nut slot, a string will rise a little before 'coming down' again - and that rise is influenced a little by string gauge?
    Yes, because the string is not perfectly flexible, and a thicker one less than a thinner one - but not enough to make any real difference to the correct nut height, on a given string position. It's more noticeable between the strings - the G compared to the B for example. It also tends to disappear as the strings get played in and the bend forms more sharply to the front edge of the nut. When I set up a guitar with new strings I always press the strings down hard just in front of the nut and make sure that's taken care of in advance, so I'm not likely to cut the nut too low.