Collectors choice - Any good?

What's Hot

Comments

• ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    bodhi said:
    ellwood said:
    The Faded I bought from @photek and then had to sell was stunning. Can only hope I get the chance to buy it back one day!
    Was that his 2011 Traditional Faded?  I have one just a few serial numbers away from the one he had, and it's been my favourite guitar for maybe 5 or 6 years now.  I also own @photek's old 2007 Standard Faded and @Blaendulais' old 2005 Standard Faded.  Both killer guitars.  The 2005 is still bone stock, and I'm mulling over whether I should throw some upgrades at it, because I suspect it might prove to be better than the 2011 with the right pickups - I'm not sure the stock Burstbucker Pros bring out the best in these, although they do sound pretty good in 
    Yep. That one :(

Have just bought a Canadian market limited run 2011 Faded so hopefully that will get close. And there’s an 07 on Gumtree if my Nash sells...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited November 2017
    I always wondered if the 2011 Trad Fadeds were all originally intended for Long & McQuade in Canada only, with some of those ending up here in some way, or if Gibson made extras intended for the European market.

I've read that the Canadian ones came with a case with a maple leaf sticker on it, and mine didn't.  So perhaps Gibson did make those extra ones, or mine didn't come with its real original case (bought it 2nd hand).
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    It would be hard to prove conclusively, but I think it is a reasonable assumption that an R7 or R8 is "the same guitar" as a CC model in all but cosmetics (ie flame).
    Same pickups
    Same lightweight Fijian Mahogany body
    Same fingerboard
    Same celluloid inlays
    etc.....etc......

A good strategy to get a great Historic Les Paul would be to visit Peach or Coda and play every R7 and R8 in the shop.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Skipped said:
    It would be hard to prove conclusively, but I think it is a reasonable assumption that an R7 or R8 is "the same guitar" as a CC model in all but cosmetics (ie flame).
    Same pickups
    Same lightweight Fijian Mahogany body
    Same fingerboard
    Same celluloid inlays
    etc.....etc......

A good strategy to get a great Historic Les Paul would be to visit Peach or Coda and play every R7 and R8 in the shop.

Is an R9 in a league of its own? 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    No.  It is still "the same guitar", made from the same materials, as the R7, R8, CCs.....
    Neck shape may be slightly different.
    Maple cap  may be prettier - subject to your. taste

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Skipped said:
    No.  It is still "the same guitar", made from the same materials, as the R7, R8, CCs.....
    Neck shape may be slightly different.
    Maple cap  may be prettier - subject to your. taste
    Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it. Still weighing up my options but you've all certainly to some options I hadn't considered. 
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited November 2017
    I know I just waxed lyrical about the faded model, but honestly, if I had the cash, I'd be soooo tempted by this:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/111475/fs-gibson-59-reissue-les-paul-2006-teaburst

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bodhi said:
    I know I just waxed lyrical about the faded model, but honestly, if I had the cash, I'd be soooo tempted by this:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/111475/fs-gibson-59-reissue-les-paul-2006-teaburst

Ooooo now this does look nice, wonder if it's still available
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    I have played a few CC's now and agree with much of what has been said. If you are just looking for a great Les Paul go and play loads of them until you find one you like. Historics are generally very good and as above pretty much all the standard and traditional fadeds I have owned and played have been great! I was gutted to miss out on a CC10 that was in Coda a while back for cheap, it was a killer guitar and I only missed it because I got stuck in traffic for 3 hours on the way to Stevenage!!!
  • photek said:
    I have played a few CC's now and agree with much of what has been said. If you are just looking for a great Les Paul go and play loads of them until you find one you like. Historics are generally very good and as above pretty much all the standard and traditional fadeds I have owned and played have been great! I was gutted to miss out on a CC10 that was in Coda a while back for cheap, it was a killer guitar and I only missed it because I got stuck in traffic for 3 hours on the way to Stevenage!!!
    That's a nice CC, haven't seen many of those around. I've seen an STB burst going for under £4k which looks quite good but I'm still weighing up weather to use the money for a 57 original LP junior.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5410
    edited April 2018
    I've got a CC10 actually, it's obviously a bit of a black sheep in the CC family due to it being both an artist model and a repro of a '68 rather than any of the late 50s bursts. But, it's a damn tone monster... it sounds really really good. Has all the great touches too that actually improve it as a players guitar and as an example of 'top shelf' details that were occasionally compromised on other CS offerings - Schaller tuners, a more gentle headstock break angle, long tenon, solid rosewood board (2013 is when they came out I think). The neck carve is EXCELLENT too.

You just gotta dig the unfigured natural top and the slightly wacky pickup combo... 
  • photek said:
    That's a nice CC, haven't seen many of those around. I've seen an STB burst going for under £4k which looks quite good but I'm still weighing up weather to use the money for a 57 original LP junior.
    I have an original 57 Special on loan at the moment...it'd murder every CC, and most Historic's that I've played...bar one notable exception - my old Murphy. 

You just can't beat the old 'uns. 
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited November 2017
    I A/B'd a Nicky against my 2001 Murphy...

The Murphy won.....but because it was mine, it would, wouldn't it? Hee hee

• Oh my god, That is a beautiful guitar. What model is it? 
    So theoretically aside form a 57 LPJ, What do you reckon is best? 
  • The CC is #24 - based on Charlie Daughtry's Nicky. The top guitar is a Murphy 2001 59 reissue Plaintop. 

"Best" is a little too subjective, I like the Specials, with original p90's. A lot of vintage guitar for the money. 

Try and play as many as you can, eventually one will want to come home with you. 
  • I am seriously in love with the Nicky. That is literally my ideal guitar. 
  • The CC is #24 - based on Charlie Daughtry's Nicky. The top guitar is a Murphy 2001 59 reissue Plaintop. 

"Best" is a little too subjective, I like the Specials, with original p90's. A lot of vintage guitar for the money. 

Try and play as many as you can, eventually one will want to come home with you. 
    If you're ever looking to sell Nicky, Please keep me in mind. 

If you're ever looking to sell Nicky, Please keep me in mind. 
    That guitar belonged to a mate of mine, we put them together specifically to do the A/B test...my mate sold it very soon after getting it. 
  • Ah shame! beautiful guitar.
  • MattPMattP Frets: 252
    Ah shame! beautiful guitar.

I actually own this Nicky now.

@ourmaninthenorth 's comments are interesting, as it just goes to show how subjective these things are. I've had lots of historics, including an aged Page #1, and an aged CC #1. This is one of the few that I've kept, and I prefer it to the vast majority that have gone before it. Coincidentally, the only LP that I've played which I prefer, is my 40th Anniversary Murphy. That is the best guitar I've ever had, but this Nicky certainly is the equal of any other recently built LP I've ever had, including the aforementioned Page and Moore.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom