Best book(s) on electric guitar design and build?

What's Hot
I had a good book years ago that went through the full process of design and build, laminating necks, equipment etc.
I did get round to building one but now have a hankering to have another go but longer have the book.

So. I am looking for good suggestions. It needs to cover wood selection, tools, design, fingerboard, fretting hardware, wiring and painting etc etc. I don't want to build from a kit and I don't want to be stuck with following directions for a single design.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Melvyn Hiscock’s book. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    WezV said:
    Melvyn Hiscock’s book. 
    That's @melvynhiscock !

I prefer to watch rather than read - just easier for my brain to make sense of it.  Mark Bailey has some online courses at
    https://guitarmaking.co.uk/ which are proper professional standard courses.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I'm not so keen on the Hiscock book. The info is great but I don't like the poor B&W only photos. Personally I found online resources much more useful. Videos in particular, where you can get talk through and visuals. I'd gladly give away my copy of the book if I actually knew where it was!

I'd just go Google everything personally.

axisus said:
    I'm not so keen on the Hiscock book. The info is great but I don't like the poor B&W only photos. Personally I found online resources much more useful. Videos in particular, where you can get talk through and visuals. I'd gladly give away my copy of the book if I actually knew where it was!

I'd just go Google everything personally.

The latest edition of the book is 20 years old next year.  I have had mine since it was first released.  At that time, there was almost no information on the internet.  The book is responsible for a hell of a lot of it.  

i don’t ever think it’s agood idea to learn from one source, but the book has everything you need to get started and will teach you a lot of the right concepts to enable you to study further.

the book also captures something most other sources miss... design.  It doesn’t teach you how a guitar should be built, it shows you a few approaches to the same problem and challenges you to take your own path.

• martmart Frets: 5205
  • Looking at the Hiscock book on Amazon I think that was the book I had, a pity there is no look inside option. I may buy it again though I appreciate it is old and now you mention it I recall the not so great photo's, but it certainly did go into the design and style of guitar you want to build. Seems a bit expensive to buy now but I may have to bite the bullet.

Electric Guitar and bass design by Leonardo Lospennato looks like a possibility or Martin Koch book Building Electric Guitars though this seems to suffer from poor images as well.

Thanks for the link to the online course, i will take a peek at that too
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide is also excellent - although not a 'build' book as such there is so much useful information in there which will help you work out what to do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited November 2017
    Looking at the Hiscock book on Amazon I think that was the book I had, a pity there is no look inside option. I may buy it again though I appreciate it is old and now you mention it I recall the not so great photo's, but it certainly did go into the design and style of guitar you want to build. Seems a bit expensive to buy now but I may have to bite the bullet.

Electric Guitar and bass design by Leonardo Lospennato looks like a possibility or Martin Koch book Building Electric Guitars though this seems to suffer from poor images as well.

Thanks for the link to the online course, i will take a peek at that too
    Do you still have a local library?  Mine used to have the 1st edition of Melvyn’s book.

i have just had a flick through, and whilst the pics are black and white most are pretty high quality.  I have a lot of other guitar building books, and the pics in Melvyn’s are of the best.  Definitely the best at the time.  Kinkade’s acoustic book was one of the first of its type to actually bother with colour pictures
  • TTony said:

I prefer to watch rather than read - just easier for my brain to make sense of it.  Mark Bailey has some online courses at https://guitarmaking.co.uk/ which are proper professional standard courses.

The Bailey courses take you through the build process. They may not address all of your questions, but it's a great place to start.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    WezV said:

The latest edition of the book is 20 years old next year.  I have had mine since it was first released.  At that time, there was almost no information on the internet. 
    At that time, there was almost no information on the internet. 
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Ah... The joys of newsgroups and having to try 4 different search groups to find something.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    The other old pre-Interweb favourite was Customizing Your Electric Guitar by Adrian Legg. This is long since out of print.

Legg worked at Rose-Morris - then importers of DiMarzio pickups. He tried out most of the wacky pickup coil switching ideas that you could possibly imagine and provided schematic diagrams. These days, an author would provide video demonstrations of all of the coil permutations, illustrating exactly how useless many of them are.

Obviously, by concentrating on pickup wiring, Legg will be of relatively little assistance with the constructional aspects of your project.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

The MH book is great, got no problem with the pics or drawings, I built my first guitar around 1989 purely from that. It's a one-stop place to see what you're into from the ground up, design all the way through building. And now there's a zillion forum posts & vids for when you home in on doing some particular part, to see what jigs & methods people have come up with to tackle it.

• GizmoGizmo Frets: 1076
    I used the MH book as a ref +talkbass forums for my first bass build (headless zerba wood singlecut 6 string) but i also found the Martin Koch - Building Electric Guitars, a good ref  (i picked up for amazon 2nd hand & tatty for 95p + postage about 12 years ago) 

http://www.buildyourguitar.com/

For rattle can refinish tips i found How To Create a Factory Guitar Finish with just a few cans to be a good read

http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/

great if you dig 80's hair guitar finishes like EVH/'s and GL's Tiger ect ect
    TTony said:
    WezV said:

The latest edition of the book is 20 years old next year.  I have had mine since it was first released.  At that time, there was almost no information on the internet. 
    At that time, there was almost no information on the internet. 
    ;)
    There was MIMF.  They didn’t allow in progress threads and picture size was severely limited.  Project Guitar appeared shortly after.
  • mart said:
    This ^.  The Melvyn Hiscock book is great for building and should be on your list, but the  Leonardo Lespennato adds lots with reference to guitar and bass design.  Having seen a pal's copy, it's certainly on my own Christmas Present list! :)

Why not both? ;)
    I might add it to mine, I have not had a new guitar book in a while...  not since Melvyn released his acoustic book
  • Gizmo said:
    I used the MH book as a ref +talkbass forums for my first bass build (headless zerba wood singlecut 6 string) but i also found the Martin Koch - Building Electric Guitars, a good ref  (i picked up for amazon 2nd hand & tatty for 95p + postage about 12 years ago) 

http://www.buildyourguitar.com/

For rattle can refinish tips i found How To Create a Factory Guitar Finish with just a few cans to be a good read

http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/

great if you dig 80's hair guitar finishes like EVH/'s and GL's Tiger ect ect
    Great resources, thanks for that.
  • ICBM said:
    Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide is also excellent - although not a 'build' book as such there is so much useful information in there which will help you work out what to do.
    Another good resource. I have booked myself on a Guitar Setup Course, which whilst not related directly to this thread I will no doubt be able to discuss such topics. May well look at this. Cheers
  • mart said:
    Thanks, yes that is on my list of potentials