Audio interface as headphone amp

I'm looking around for an interface and probably heading towards a 2i4.  Just wondered if anyone had any comments on using these for hifi type listening with a decent set of cans.  I have Pure Music installed which makes an excellent job of handling iTunes and currently have an external DAC and headphone amp but they're both getting on a bit so thinking that the right choice of interface might kill two birds as it were.  All the reviews I've read talk about pre-amp quality but no-one ever mentions DAC and audio output stages.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28033
    I have a 2i2 and use it with Shure SRH1540s; I've tried a few dedicated headphone amps and not heard much difference.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Not a Focusrite, but... My audio interface is a Presonus iTwo. I've got an Oppo HA2 SE DAC/headphone amp. My headphones for music listening are an old pair of Sennheiser HD580s. 

Using a USB feed from my MacBook of a lossless audio file, I prefer the sound via the Oppo. I couldn't say if it's the DAC or if it's the amplifier driving the headphones, but it sounds more musical to my ears. But they both sound pretty decent and I never had any complaints (still don't) about the Presonus before I bought the Oppo. 
  • What's your budget? 

• What's your budget? 
    I haven't really set one.  The recording interface side is just for me to lay down a few backing tracks with guitar and bass so I guess pretty much anything on the market would cover that.  Using it as a DAC/headphone amp would simplify my cramped den quite nicely but/ like I said, no-one ever comments on using them in that way.  What did you have in mind?
  • Audient id22 or 14, SPL Crimson, RME Babyface Pro. There are the three I've used and like, and I own the Crimson. All three have DAC quality well above the cheaper stuff and enough poke to drive headphones.

However there is another option if your audio interface has a digital output, and that is the TC BMC2. Very nice DAC in there and drives headphones well. Usually around a ton secondhand.

• Please excuse the noob question but how would I interface MIDI to a unit without the Din socket?  I have a MIDI capable keyboard and an old Tonelab SE which I thought I could use.  I quite like the look of the id14 but no mention of MIDI anywhere.  Should I just be looking at going in at line level?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    edited November 2017
    My MacBook has two USB sockets. I plug the Presonus iTwo into one - and that's my audio interface taken care of. I plug a MIDI keyboard into the other and that's my keyboard sorted. 

MIDI instruments don't make their own sounds. You need to send the MIDI into a computer that has software instruments which convert those commands into sounds. Line in is for analogue audio signals, not digital commands. (Unless I've misunderstood you). 

The Presonus also has MIDI in/thru and MIDI out 5 pin sockets. It's one of the reasons I bought it over a Focusrite (which did not have them). At that time, my old keyboard didn't have USB MIDI. So, I plugged it into the Presonus and it just worked. 

FWIW, the other reason was I often use my iPad as a DAW for tracking and the Presonus supported that. 

• My MacBook has two USB sockets. I plug the Presonus iTwo into one - and that's my audio interface taken care of. I plug a MIDI keyboard into the other and that's my keyboard sorted. 

MIDI instruments don't make their own sounds. You need to send the MIDI into a computer that has software instruments which convert those commands into sounds. Line in is for analogue audio signals, not digital commands. (Unless I've misunderstood you). 

The Presonus also has MIDI in/thru and MIDI out 5 pin sockets. It's one of the reasons I bought it over a Focusrite (which did not have them). At that time, my old keyboard didn't have USB MIDI. So, I plugged it into the Presonus and it just worked. 

FWIW, the other reason was I often use my iPad as a DAW for tracking and the Presonus supported that. 

You've pretty much confirmed what I thought.  The Focusrite 2i4 and up have the 5 pin MIDI so I just assumed that other interfaces in that segment would be similar.  Despite what I wrote, I did actually know the MIDI/Line thing although it didn't come across that way.  Thanks everyone for your input :)
  • What I have been using for a few years is a P4 PC with external drive loaded with mp3 of some of my CD collection and bought mp3. I just play them in Windows Media Player. My guitar/bass via Behringer GDI21 and headphones plug into M-Audio Pro USB
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Would the arturia audiofuse come in handy here?
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I've got an M-Audio M-Track hub which is a) cheap and b) sounds ok but doesn't have any inputs.I used it for playing Virtual Instruments from a laptop.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Forgot to mention - if you use it with a PSU it's got a 3 port usb hub built in.