Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

If MJW Amps started up again, would anybody buy one?

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    martinw said:
    Would you do a bass amp head? Or are you guitar only?

I can and have done bass heads. The Taranis is a standard model, but not everybody wants a heavy 200W+ beasty like that. A bass head is basically a guitar amp with a different frequency optimisation and a different range of features that bassists prefer, such as DI outputs and more focus on midrange control. (If that's what they want, you can of course have a more vintage feature set - the first bass amps were of course  exactly the same as guitar amps apart from, well, more bass). You could easily have something like a little Ampeg.

It does have to be a valve amp though. I don't think there's any point in me developing SS stuff, even just for the power amp.

Understood. I'm looking for a smallish high quality valve head with DI that can give a really good classic valve bass tone for recording and possibly even live use with a DI to PA. Like you say, a 200w monster is going to be too heavy, but a small low watter good enough for monitoring and with an out for FOH would be perfect. 

Maybe we should have a more detailed conversation off thread, if it was of interest of course ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    edited November 2017
    No.
    my wife would kill me
    edit:
    but probably
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited November 2017
    horsehead said:
    @juansolo is it the one we discussed?
    Yup. I'd have been leaning on Martin's knowledge hugely if we'd decided to built it ourselves. Martin back in business I'd definitely get him to build it.
  • juansolo said:
    horsehead said:
    @juansolo is it the one we discussed?
    Yup. I'd have been leaning on Martin's knowledge hugely if we'd decided to built it ourselves. Martin back in business I'd definitely get him to build it.
    So, two for us then!
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    Will you relaunch the website Martin or initially keep it as-is with prices changed?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited November 2017
    If you did something like Allen amp's brownface Princeton with verb then that would be great. That and British 20 & 50 watt version of the Friedman thing at a lower price. 

Good sounclips are a must. I was interested in the modded plexi style amp but the videos did not sound good, which could be the video or the amp but no way to tell. This is a no1 priority IMO if you are buying direct over the internet. 
  • proud owner of a Roadstar head - makes me sound better than I really am - my avatar might just give away how highly I regard the work of the man who is MJW ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    Yes, do it! and if you need a hand with anything let me know
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Thanks again all. I will be in touch soon with those who've enquired.

Yes, do it! and if you need a hand with anything let me know

Cheers, I will be in touch! :)

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 220
    edited November 2017
    totally ignore this comment...it's the ramblings of a sad lonely old man
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    @martinw would you be looking for locally built cabinets or buying them in from a manufacturer? 
    tFB Trader
    DiscoStu said:
    @martinw would you be looking for locally built cabinets or buying them in from a manufacturer? 

Well, I'll be buying them in from somewhere, hopefully local. It'd be nice if you knew someone up here! :)

• maraudermarauder Frets: 133
    Not after anything right now.
    But you would be the first port of call in future.
    tFB Trader
    Jimbro66 said:
    Will you relaunch the website Martin or initially keep it as-is with prices changed?

The latter. Websites can be really time consuming, and I can update that later. I think it will become ore important to sustain the business than it will be to launch (re-launch) it, if that makes sense. :)

• SporkySporky Frets: 28142
    I'd just add that what I really liked about dealing with you was that I said "I tried one of these and liked it, but I've got two 10" neodymium speakers and some sparkly blue tolex", and with no drama at all I got an amp that made exactly the right noise and looked glorious.

In particular I liked that I didn't get questions about what circuit or valves I wanted - I'd explained the sound and what it was I liked about it, and I got that. No pointless extra decisions.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    I'd just add that what I really liked about dealing with you was that I said "I tried one of these and liked it, but I've got two 10" neodymium speakers and some sparkly blue tolex", and with no drama at all I got an amp that made exactly the right noise and looked glorious.

In particular I liked that I didn't get questions about what circuit or valves I wanted - I'd explained the sound and what it was I liked about it, and I got that. No pointless extra decisions.

Thank you.

Your post made me look at the pics of that amp again. 7 years ago! :) Time flies.

tFB Trader

Well that didn't take long. Already got the first order, and some expressions of interest. :)

Feels good to be under way again.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    martinw said:

Well that didn't take long. Already got the first order, and some expressions of interest. :)

Feels good to be under way again.

:+1: That's pretty good considering that most folks' cash is going on Christmas at present.

Good luck Martin. It's great to see you back building amps again :) 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Just replied to your mail ;) 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Great to see you back Martin

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!