New guitar tuition site from Mike Walker

OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
edited March 2014 in Theory
Hi All,

A good friend of mine, Mike Walker, has just launched a new online guitar tuition site. It is mostly aimed at the jazz and blues community, but I am sure that any guitarist seeking to further their own ability would benefit from using it.

Mike is a world renowned player and educator and runs workshops up here in the North West, as well as overseas, which are always fun and worthwhile.

Please watch the introductory video to get an idea of what Mike is about and what he intends the site, and you, to achieve.

He is offering 7 days free access to the site so that people can get a flavour of what it's about, so please go and check it out.

Thanks,
Rob.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 385
    Hurrah! I used to take lessons off Mike back in the 90s' when I studied at Bretton Hall. He's a great teacher and a smashing fella. Always remember him saying "practice hard and you'll make the beer taste better". It was early days for me back then and I still use what he taught me to this day.

Oh, and he's also a world-class jazz guitarist. And you don't get to that level by resting on your laurels.

Got to have a closer look at this :)))) would recommend others do to.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    edited March 2014
    Mike's a great player.  I was hugely impressed by the first Impossible Gentlemen album.  I've only just realised there's a second album - I'll have to check it out.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    I think that Mike Walker is probably one of the best educators in the UK, he has such a good understanding of music and his true love for music always shines through.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited March 2014
    matt1973 said:
    Hurrah! I used to take lessons off Mike back in the 90s' when I studied at Bretton Hall.

@matt1973

I was at Bretton Hall in 1990-91. Small world.

Didn't take guitar lessons unfortunately.

Would have been miles better today if I had.

• Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    I too was at Bretton. Missed Mike though - he'd fallen out with Geraldine by then!
    edited March 2014
    I'd heard that Mike thought that the Bretton musos didn't apply themselves as much as his other students hence he didn't get too involved (IE, he fucked off). I was on the PMS course 93-96.

What / when did you guys study? 

PMS 1997-2000 then worked there (plus Leeds) until 2006.

I can imagine that being the reason to be honest! I took over guitar teaching duties in 2001, still teach a bit on what's left of the course with Simon Warner who's the last of the Bretton lecturers.

You'll know Al Greenwood then possibly?
    Yeah I got awarded lessons in my final year and Al was my teacher then. Is he still going? I also remember Simon very well.

Funny this should come up actually as I am looking into doing my Masters this year. Do you know if 
    Leeds offers a PG route for PMS Graduates?
    Yes I believe they do. Almost did it myself a few years back. Are you in touch with Simon? He's on Facebook. Drop him a line!

I play bass for Al and Sam (taught aural at Bretton when I was there, Al's partner they were probably Dark Lantern back then).

@Van-Hayden

@matt1973

I didn't do music ... I did a PGCE ... wish I'd done music ... sigh

I don't think PMS was running when you were there then?

Happy days, although I still view all actors with suspicion.

1990-91

pgce in primary/middle education

24 years a teacher!

Yeah, they brought in Popular Music Studies in 92'. Good course, very innovative for its time.

Core blimey, I do remember Al & Sam as a duo. Just. It was a while back.

I'll defo drop Simon a line. 

Definitely treat all actors with the utmost suspicion. Back then, you couldn't walk from one building to another at Bretton without being hugged.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    I know this is a really old post ..but is anybody still on the online tuition site 
    Yep
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    Yep
    Is the site getting updated at all ....i was on it a while back but not much seemed to be happening but some great things on it....im thinking about going back on thats all..
    Not that much I've noticed - there's a load of stuff I've not worked through though!
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    Yep I'm still there and dip in when I can. 

I think things have been quiet for a number of reasons. I believe they've had to change location for filming, plus Mike was majorly busy with the Ropes project, Impossible Gents etc. 

Its a really great website!
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Mike is a busy lad. He's been finishing off the Ropes stuff, in fact he borrowed one of my guitars for a couple of weeks to use on the new album. He's also starting a full time course at uni to enhance his skills and better help his fellow musicians.