SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Vintage 1981 Yamaha FG512-II 12 string *PRICE DROP*

St_HubbinsSt_Hubbins Frets: 189
edited December 2017 in Acoustics £
Aquired this in a trade and it is great, but I'm not really a 12 string guy. Looking for £250, but might consider a trade against electrics.

The chap who traded this with me got it from the highly respected Andy De Looze of Really Great Guitar and I must credit him for such a wonderful description and pics, the likes of which I could not muster. Here follows:

Vintage 1981 Yamaha FG512-II 12 string acoustic & case Superb Condition

Vintage 1981 Yamaha FG512-II 12 string https://imgur.com/gallery/dXcTn

This is just one of those great, playable 12 strings that come along once in a while. The neck is spot on & the action is pretty perfectly set. No bridge lifting or body bowing. For a 35 year old girl, she is in amazing 9/10 condition with no noticable marks anywhere. She has been re-strung with quality D’Addario strings & comes with a great retro, spring-latch hard case.

The two-piece back is accented with a vertical inlay stripe of south-western art influence and is bound with tri-layered black & ivory coloured binding.

The top is laminated with Sitka Spruce top veneer, with a matching multi laminated rosette inlay surrounding the soundhole. The top is bound with multi-layered black & ivory coloured binding.

The 20-fret neck is constructed of Honduran Mahogany and is fully bound including the heel butt, with ivory coloured binding material & contains a single truss-rod which is adjustable attainable from the bottom of the neck in the soundhole.

The fretboard is East Indian Rosewood with slim profile fretwire and is inlaid with diamond-shaped Mother-of-Pearl position markers and small, dot-shaped side position markers.

The solid headstock is bound in ivory coloured material & the machine heads are Japanese none tension adjustable vintage type

The bridge is also constructed of East Indian Rosewood.

The guitar is strongly braced, with a semi-gloss finish.

Ser # 10706121

The Burgundy coloured case is plush lined with interior blue crushed velvet material & in great condition

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pjfpjf Frets: 331
    I find it extremely hard to believe the back and sides are solid brazilian rosewood, especially at that price point (and even if there was an "0" stuck on the end!). 

i did a quick google and would refer you to post #11 in this thread 

http://acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62869

Good luck with the sale but I wouldn't want anyone to be misled.
  • pjf said:
    I find it extremely hard to believe the back and sides are solid brazilian rosewood, especially at that price point (and even if there was an "0" stuck on the end!). 

i did a quick google and would refer you to post #11 in this thread 

http://acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62869

Good luck with the sale but I wouldn't want anyone to be misled.
    Dude. You use words like 'hard to believe' and 'misled' to train wreck my thread, and base it on a forum discussion you have googled?

I have updated my post to appropriately credit Really Great Guitars (Andy de Looze) who originally had this up for sale, and who wrote the description using decades of knowledge as a guitar retailer.

Tyres well and truly kicked. I'm going to lie down in a dark room and cry now. Lots of love x
  • It's lovely  unfortunately it's def not Brazilian rose wood more like Indian, but really it makes no difference, it looks like a cracking guitar, Brazillan rosewood is highly prized and insanely expensive, so you may get a few head scratchers :D   great guitar and good luck with the sale. 
    I didn't intend my comment to come off as harsh, and it wasn't at all intended to trainwreck your thread - why would I want to do that? I said good luck with the sale, and I actually think it's still a good price, But you don't need decades of experience to find it hard to believe that it's solid brazilian rosewood at that price point. I suspected it wasn't before I clicked on your photos, so I googled it and provided the link to the AGF to show that this has come up before re. this model. 

Regardless of whether you or Mr de Looze wrote the description, you shouldn't be advertising this as solid brazilian rosewood back and sides unless you're sure it is. Why don't you look inside the guitar and see if the grain matches, for a start?
  • pjf said:
    I didn't intend my comment to come off as harsh...Why don't you look inside the guitar and see if the grain matches, for a start?
  • I don't actually like guitars or music. I'm in it for the cider and glamour. No but seriously...I probs owe you an apology. Will edit post accordingly...
    I don't actually like guitars or music. I'm in it for the cider and glamour. No but seriously...I probs owe you an apology. Will edit post accordingly...
    Apology not necessary - I wasn't trying to be clever and I have no interest in ruining your thread. But it seems you were given some wrong information about the guitar (ironically it looks like Mr de Looze took his description from the link I sent above! See post #7 of that link - the wording is very similar indeed).

Again, good luck with the sale. Heard good things about 1970s and 1980s Yamahas and yours appears to be in great condition.
  • pjf said:
    I don't actually like guitars or music. I'm in it for the cider and glamour. No but seriously...I probs owe you an apology. Will edit post accordingly...
    Apology not necessary - I wasn't trying to be clever and I have no interest in ruining your thread. But it seems you were given some wrong information about the guitar (ironically it looks like Mr de Looze took his description from the link I sent above! See post #7 of that link - the wording is very similar indeed).

Again, good luck with the sale. Heard good things about 1970s and 1980s Yamahas and yours appears to be in great condition.
    All is well that ends well. Thanks for helping me, I feel confident I have more realistic info for advertising it now. I'm just not an acoustic guy...but this is a great guitar for sure.
  • Ive bought 2 guitars frm Nick, and he's a genuine guy... im also acoustic-less at the momnet, and love the old Yammies... hmmm
  • Price drop bump. Just 250 quid for this beauty
  • That's very lovely.
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Pm incoming Nick...