Do any other companies make power amps in pedals like the EHX 44 Magnum?

What's Hot
Just curious I'd really love a 100 watt amp in a pedal!
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    AMT do the TubeCake TC-1 and TC-3. 1.5W and 3W - not quite the 100W pedal of your dreams.
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited March 2014
    Oh well I might just have to wait for EHX to do one I guess.....
    Old Is Gold
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    A 100W amp in a pedal would be an interesting machine.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72248
    edited March 2014
    Traynor Quarterhorse.

http://traynoramps.com/guitar/horses/product/dh25h/

Only 25W, but it's a true amp in a pedal.

There's also the Crate Powerblock which is only a bit larger, but it's not pedal format, sounds horrible and isn't reliable. And discontinued. (Thankfully :).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    That looks quite cool
    Old Is Gold
  • jpfamps said:
    A 100W amp in a pedal would be an interesting machine.

Yeah it would be ace! To be honest 80 watts would be ok, I just need a little bit more than 44!
    Old Is Gold
    Two Magnums and a 2x12" stereo cab? Has the advantage that you can still get through the gig when one of them dies, too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    I imagine it would be quite difficult to make a big wattage amp that size that actually sounds good, though what do I know! Would indeed be awesome, as would the two magnums into a stereo cab, if they would only just sound a little bit better
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    We did one at Matamp a couple of years ago, then decided nobody would buy it!. Then we lent it to another company who haven't given it back. It did I think 170w into 4 ohm with an onboard PSU, about 6 inch square, gain, tone and volume.
  • We did one at Matamp a couple of years ago, then decided nobody would buy it!. Then we lent it to another company who haven't given it back. It did I think 170w into 4 ohm with an onboard PSU, about 6 inch square, gain, tone and volume.
    Thats exactly what I need! and a Matamp one would be even better!
    Old Is Gold
    We did one at Matamp a couple of years ago, then decided nobody would buy it!. Then we lent it to another company who haven't given it back. It did I think 170w into 4 ohm with an onboard PSU, about 6 inch square, gain, tone and volume.
    Like a Powerblock, but good? :)

That would definitely sell. Although better EQ than a single tone control is a must.

If anything the problem with 170W might be that it's too powerful for a lot of people's cabinets - although presumably if it's Class D/SMPS it will de-rate linearly into 8 or 16 ohms.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Most of which is heatsink? ;) (suppose not if class D)
  • 100 watt Matamp pedal brick with Volume Bass Mid Treble!  I would 100% buy one. Being a Matamp owner anyway that would seem like heaven to me!

@Van_Hayden you should definitely have a word with Jeff about it!

Also odd question but Van_Hayden are you German? If so then it was you that helped me try out a few amps and the speaker wall when I was ordering my Matamp back in 2005 ish  - Also at the time there were a load of Harry Joyce amps in the showroom.

Old Is Gold
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited March 2014
    I'm not sure that the equivalent of 100 watts of valve power it can fit into a pedal.  Andy Hunt at Matrix has designed a small amplifier that can stand toe to toe against a 100 watt head, and I believe that it is just about start production.

• That looks pretty cool!
    Old Is Gold
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    That looks pretty cool!

Put me down for one as well...
  • It'll drive a 4x12 very comfortably, yet only weighs 1.9 kilos. I believe that @digitalscream and @Clarky have tried the prototype.
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited March 2014
    There is that Diago Little Smasher as well but its only 25 watts

Thats is pretty much what I want in terms of design and knobs but I need 100 watts!

Old Is Gold
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

I thought the Little Smasher was only 5 watts?

• I thought the Little Smasher was only 5 watts?

Yep your right I must have got confused with something else
    Old Is Gold