Cover Art

I'm needing some advice about cover art for my impending solo album. I have designed the cover and saved it as a jpeg at 3000x3000 pixels as google suggested that was what was required for iTunes, and embedded the jpeg in the mp3s using a tag editor. Unfortunately it doesn't display properly in Groove music (a tiny thumbnail that is unreadable with the main image looking really zoomed in) or iTunes which gives a tiny unreadable thumbnail. It does however look fine, or at least as expected, in VLC and on my phone. What do you reckon I'm doing wrong?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7735
    edited November 2017
    The embedded mp3 jpegs need to be a lower res IIRC.

Did you use mp3tag?
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Why yes, yes I did use mp3tag... is that an issue? What resolution would you suggest? The file is currently 3000 x 3000 at 96 dpi.
    Thanks for your assistance.
    edited November 2017
    I would google your issue, I used the same program 3 years ago but itunes has probably had too many updates since then so different software is worth a try.

You could test with a 2000x2000 & 1500x1500 pixel image

Fwiw dpi is related to "print size" in cm/inches

Pixel widths are absolute. So a 2000x2000 image with have less dpi the larger the print size (resolution goes down as you print the same file larger) 
    Unfortunately, google hasn't been particularly helpful on this issue. The dpi figure comes from getting the properties of the file, I'm not really sure why this is a file property, since, as you say, it's only relevant for print.
    Last night I tried a file of 1385x1385 at 300dpi as those are the dimensions of a jpeg included with a commercial download in my possession - Groove music still displays the same "highly zoomed" behaviour. Interestingly, the cover art of the album in question displays perfectly in Groove. Of course, I have no idea of the file properties embedded in the mp3s, they might be completely different to the jpeg included with the download.
    edited November 2017
    Try AAC. It has better sound quality at a given bitrate than mp3 anyway
    Try AAC. It has better sound quality at a given bitrate than mp3 anyway
    Is that the iTunes compression? I really went for mp3 for maximum compatibility, plus they are 320 Kb/s so still sound ok.
  • It's not an iTunes standard just used most often by them. Just a thought