folk fiddle players

anyone used to playing with folk fiddle players who might wish to offer up some tips or advice. At the moment I'm just hitting some root position chords on the 1 so I'm acting a bit like a bass player with some extra harmony. Don't want to show off or get in anyones way [having just sat through a workshop with fourteen fiddle players] just if there is any experience out there which could provide advice/ideas I'd love to hear it. Thanks ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    I like what Dave Malkin does: 

this is a good example, he kinda emphasises what the melody is doing (so when the fiddler is playing a string down bow, he' playing a strong chord), and seems to be in the sort of middle and bass strings of the guitar, so he's not getting too much in the way of the trebley fiddle.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    It it just fiddles you're playing with?  If so, you have plenty of scope to play with the chords any way you like.  Lots of tunes can be steered in major or minor directions with the right choice of chords.  Go for lots of passing bass runs and different strumming patterns to drive the rhythm in different ways. 

Next, tune to drop D and watch some videos of John Doyle.  That guy is THE folk rhythm player.  He has a tutorial DVD out which is a good window into how he does things.  Look out for comedy references to his "turd finger" (he's Irish...)
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    For standard tuning stuff it's maybe worth having a listen to Dennis Cahill. A very minimal style with lots of partial chords that always leave room for the tune to breathe. 

• many thanks y'all ...
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    If you tune standard you can use a capo and play G major chord shapes.  Hammers and pulls are very effective as is the E minor chord shape.  Adopt a very loose sloppy strum pattern as it works well.  Most of the fiddle music is meant to be danced to so emphasize the 1 beat.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum