Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Calling Steve Vai fans - help needed!

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
Recommend me a solid, representative album by Mr Vai. I know who he is. I have a very good idea what he does, but I don't own a solo album by him. Love his playing on Public Image Limited's Album and, as a teen, I was familiar with his stuff with Dave Lee Roth... I'm not really into shredding per se, but I believe he goes beyond that and is more versatile. So which album ( or couple of albums) should I get? Thanks, guys.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Start with Passion and Warfare. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • John_P said:
    Start with Passion and Warfare. 
    This, without doubt. 
  • Passion and Warfare - one of his biggest albums. The 7th Song - a compilation of the 7th tracks on previously-released albums.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71954
    edited November 2017
    The Infinite Steve Vai: An Anthology.

http://www.vai.com/images/svanth.jpg

That's how I got into his music. I've now got Passion And Warfare as well, but unless you already know you like the 'shreddy' Vai it's too much too soon as a starter. The anthology has a much broader range of work.

I prefer the more melodic side of his playing, personally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 168
    edited November 2017
    Alien Love Secrets is essential too. For the earlier version of Mr Vai try Flex-Able & Flex-Able Leftovers, then the superb Alcatrazz-Disturbing The Peace. 
     <3 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Anthology is his best starter album, as ICBM said. Plus, it has some bonus tracks on it.  

For hardcore fans it would have to be Sex and Religion, so avoid this one if you're considering it.  

I would also recommend Alien Love Secrets - no overdubs, amazing tones, great playing and Great songs.  One of his best.  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Whitesnake - Slip Of The Tongue

Just kidding.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Philly_Q said:

Just kidding.
    Actually that's not a bad idea, it's got some of Steve's vaiest playing. But otherwise, PaW, Alien Love Secrets, Fire Garden, and both DLR albums. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Philly_Q said:

Just kidding.
    Or Alcatraz - Disturbing the Peace. 

I have really fond memories of this, must give it a listen for the first time in 30 years. 

https://youtu.be/fmLb_Lpnd6E

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Going off topic a bit, all three Alcatrazz studio albums were interesting, with the three different guitarists.  Not sure I'd want to listen to them now, though.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Going off topic a bit, all three Alcatrazz studio albums were interesting, with the three different guitarists.  Not sure I'd want to listen to them now, though.
    I only had the Vai one, just watching some stuff on YouTube - stands up surprisingly well, this is quite funny 

https://youtu.be/bgRl_Jy1f1I

Malmsteen, Vai and who was the third one then? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited November 2017
    Danny Johnson (ex-Derringer and, I think, Rod Stewart band).

The third album was more of a mainstream sound, but there were a few good songs.

• I'd go with Passion & Warfare.

You mention his work with DLR. I think his playing on Eat 'Em and Smile is ground breaking. The solo to Big Trouble is a masterpiece and IMHO one of the greatest solos ever.
    It's not a competition.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'd go with Passion & Warfare.

You mention his work with DLR. I think his playing on Eat 'Em and Smile is ground breaking. The solo to Big Trouble is a masterpiece and IMHO one of the greatest solos ever.
    Likewise but for me, the standout track is 'Ladies Night in Buffalo'.
    That solo is one of my all-time favourites that I'd love to be able to play properly.

Andy James does a Lick Library course on this track which I'm going to get very soon and if life will let me, try to learn (Again) properly (This time!).

'Passion and Warfare' is amazing but I already loved Vai's playing by the time I heard it so I'd go with 'Anthology' as previously suggested.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Alnico said:

That solo is one of my all-time favourites that I'd love to be able to play properly.

Andy James does a Lick Library course on this track which I'm going to get very soon and if life will let me, try to learn (Again) properly (This time!).

'Passion and Warfare' is amazing but I already loved Vai's playing by the time I heard it so I'd go with 'Anthology' as previously suggested.
    Yes Big Trouble is gorgeous. Ladies Night is lovely but quite easy. Not that that's a bad thing!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited November 2017
    Alnico said:

Andy James does a Lick Library course on this track which I'm going to get very soon and if life will let me, try to learn (Again) properly (This time!)...

I see that video is half price at the moment. See link below:

http://www.licklibrary.com/store/andy-james/26463/learn-to-play-steve-vai-the-solos-dvd

I've just purchased the download version, but I expect it will just magnify my frustration with my ability.

It's not a competition.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Personally I would NEVER buy an anthology or greatest hits of any artist that I thought I would buy other records from. It kind of spoils every other album if you have creamed off the best tracks and also played them a lot by the time you go for other CDs.
  • axisus said:
    Personally I would NEVER buy an anthology or greatest hits of any artist that I thought I would buy other records from. It kind of spoils every other album if you have creamed off the best tracks and also played them a lot by the time you go for other CDs.
    That assumes the compilers' tastes are the same as yours. I have a James Taylor compilation for the car and there are some songs on it that I wouldn't have chosen (although I don't mind them in the context of the album they were originally on), and some songs that are absent for reasons I cannot explain.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2017
    axisus said:
    I agree with this. There's enough free ways to get an idea of what an artist is like to know if they're for you or not (youtube etc).

If I get into an artist I usually go whole hog and end up buying everything, so I'm not one for casual best of compilations, as I know I'll just end up buying all the albums anyway....of course I'm then scuppered with the odd new or unreleased track that they put on comps these days (waves fist in the direction of the record companies!)

Vai also does proper albums that hang together, and he's careful on how they are sequenced (hence the 7th track thing), so hearing the albums as he intended is the best way.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Agree passion & warfare to start..  
    Slip of the tongue is a great too.. :)

But if you really wanna go back: Tinseltown Rebellion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom