The Fractal Thread

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 1437
    I suspect two possibilities- the input gain for the unit is set higher than you need so the signal is close to clipping - have a look in the i/o section of the utility menus,   or it could not related to what you are plugging into and volume levels - it lets you have a loud amp tone with quieter volume which can make thing feel compressed - even more so if you’re not using an free set up with tons of headroom 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • peteripeteri Frets: 456
    Have you checked the speaker compression setting in the amp? I much prefer many of the Marshall models with that at zero
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Thanks John and peteri. I padded the input by 12dB for the Les Paul. It was tickling the red more than a bit, while my Strat wasn't really going near the red on 0dB (another weird thing—I'm surprised the difference in output between those guitars is so dramatic. The Les Paul pickups are PAF types). I haven't tried adjusting any deep settings in the amps though, that's worth a look.

And John, I'm sure you're right that at volume things won't feel so squashed. But still, if you watch the Pete Thorn video of 16 guitarists with a Plexi you can hear how clean they really are. The Fractal Plexi patches I've tried are way dirtier than that.

I can't figure out why I'm getting so much more gain than I'd expect, but I guess I can just keep turning down the input trim. Maybe I am too attached to the idea that the knob settings should correspond to those on the original amps, instead of trusting my ears. 
  • peteri said:
    Have you checked the speaker compression setting in the amp? I much prefer many of the Marshall models with that at zero
    I set this to 0 on pretty much every patch.

Ditto check your input.

Otherwise just set by ear and not eye, I’ve found the models I like are fairly close to what I’d expect but I’ve never owned an old Marshall so honestly don’t know how close they are.