Robert Plant

What's Hot
trolleytrolley Frets: 88

Went to see him on Saturday.
Good of course.

But the thing that struck me is how good a player Skin Tyson is. Especially on acoustic guitar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Anyone seen the Brian Johnson meets interview with him?

Robert comes across as pretty old - just how he moves (and he's getting on a bit so fair enough), and I'm really not sure about Brian's Geordie phrases (nothing against them at all, but are they a bit too 'contrived'?)

But Robert comes across great, not the old hippie I thought he would

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He was still pretty mobile on stage.

Although his memory's gone - he introduced all the band members except John Baggott! And then had to go back and apologise

• Having known various people who have known him to some extent over the years ( and I have sat next to him although didn't exchange any words) he seems to be a very nice chap. Quite happy to support local charities ( I don't mean the Wolves...) with time and money. He joined my mate's band for a jam at a wedding, not a posh do as I understand it but he was a guest as he knew the people locally. 

I saw him live years ago, great presence - he's a small bloke who seems to grow two foot once he is on stage. He's pursued his musical interests and adjusted his output to suit his maturing voice. Shame I didn't make the effort to go to this tour really. Glad you enjoyed it.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • trolley said:

Went to see him on Saturday.
    Good of course.

But the thing that struck me is how good a player Skin Tyson is. Especially on acoustic guitar

Great band. Skin has an interesting right hand technique when playing acoustic finger style - based on camera closeups on Later...  Works for him, but wouldn't work for me. 
  • I'm seeing him in Birmingham in a couple of weeks, really excited!
  • Quite happy to support local charities ( I don't mean the Wolves...) with time and money. 
    They don't need any help this season Eric! The WM phone in has delirious WV residents nightly - I just hope we don't pass each other going the other way over the summer.

Virtually everyone I mention my Zeppelin fandom to around the Midlands has a Robert story. One day he's in a chip shop and another he's at a garden centre. I used to work with a bloke who at one time looked after his tropical fish. I have yet to see him anywhere never mind a bowling alley ;)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Virtually everyone I mention my Zeppelin fandom to around the Midlands has a Robert story. One day he's in a chip shop and another he's at a garden centre.
    True

I worked in a garden centre in Solihull when I was at college...we had Plant, Tony Iommi and Cliff Richard as customers....plenty of rock'n'roll gardeners out there.

Ex-guitarist in one my bands really went off Zeps music when Plant allegedly nicked his parking space in a supermarket car park!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Quite happy to support local charities ( I don't mean the Wolves...) with time and money. 
    They don't need any help this season Eric! The WM phone in has delirious WV residents nightly - I just hope we don't pass each other going the other way over the summer.

Virtually everyone I mention my Zeppelin fandom to around the Midlands has a Robert story. One day he's in a chip shop and another he's at a garden centre. I used to work with a bloke who at one time looked after his tropical fish. I have yet to see him anywhere never mind a bowling alley ;)
    I think I'm just writing my anecdotes on TheFB now so as my memory goes people can read them back to me. 
    I used to know the person who printed his personalised stationery, she was the girlfriend of a band mate. Worked with a couple of people who lived in the same village as him where he also did a charity concert to pay for a new playground. I forget the name of the bloody place now although I went there to see ( Robert's friend) Seth Lakeman raising funds for the cricket club. Some others as well somewhere ( although few topping my mate Andy playing Rock and Roll behind him at that wedding)in my mind, few Jason Bonham ones as well. 

Not looking good for the Baggies, our singer is a season ticket holder and started dedicating Monkey Man to Tony Pulis having normally reserved that for Chelsea players. This Saturday the pub was full of Villa fans so he, thankfully, didn't include any football references and a bit late in the day for Pulis. 
    Yes, better days for the Wolves although they were a bit of a charity case not long ago. I think it's concievable Villa could go up as well? Keep the Baggies up and have some top flight Midland derbies to look forward to ( well, in my case just armchair watching). 

What were we talking about? Oh, Planty. I like the guy with the goldtop who plays in his band and has that afro pop thing going on, I don't think he's the chap from Cast. Google suggests it's Justin Adams, he used to play with Jah Wobble amongst others. I should investigate his back catalogue ( not a euphemism) a bit. 
  • EricTheWeary said:

I like the guy with the goldtop who plays in his band and has that afro pop thing going on, I don't think he's the chap from Cast. Google suggests it's Justin Adams, he used to play with Jah Wobble amongst others. I should investigate his back catalogue ( not a euphemism) a bit. 

Yep, that's Justin Adams. He's been with Plant for a little longer than Skin Tyson I think- since Dreamland in 2002.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    I like Planty - follows his mojo, and doesn't rest on his Zeppelin laurels .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EricTheWeary said:

I like the guy with the goldtop who plays in his band and has that afro pop thing going on, I don't think he's the chap from Cast. Google suggests it's Justin Adams, he used to play with Jah Wobble amongst others. I should investigate his back catalogue ( not a euphemism) a bit. 

Yep, that's Justin Adams. He's been with Plant for a little longer than Skin Tyson I think- since Dreamland in 2002.
    I watched some stuff by him on YouTube last night, mixing up Chicago blues and what I think is Saharan African music. He's got a very interesting style although the ten minute long trance numbers are a bit hard going. 
  • Anyone ever seen Liam Skin Tyson and Bad Seed Warren Ellis in the same room?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWeary said:

I watched some stuff by him on YouTube last night, mixing up Chicago blues and what I think is Saharan African music. He's got a very interesting style although the ten minute long trance numbers are a bit hard going. 

I think it is Saharan/West African Assouf or Tishoumaren. He produced several albums for Tinariwen, who are like the Taylor Swift of Tishoumaren, and grew up in Egypt, so part of his appeal to Plant was his connection to those styles, which Plant really likes.

• Very much enjoying the new record. He's deffo not resting on his laurels. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Very much enjoying the new record. He's deffo not resting on his laurels. 
    Absolutely not. If anything, the previous record (Lullaby And The Ceaseless Roar) was even better IMO.

You can definitely understand why he isn't interested in rehashing Led Zep with Jimmy Page.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Justin Adams' Les Paul Goldtop...

I'll be in my bunk

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Saw him live and it was great (obviously)
    Stunning lights show and a fab experience overall. Carry fire was a great album and I also loved lullaby and the ceaseless roar he is getting better through the years and I can see why he doesn't want to go back to led zep. Fair enough although i do love zep and would love a reunion.

• Birmingham last night was amazing!