Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gardiner n houlgate auctions.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    Stores like Peach,Coda, Guitar Guitar, GAK, Andertons are a lot more profitable....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have bought from GH, Hammer price was £1000. In total i paid £1240 (£200 VAT + £40 fees)
    Small point, I think there's only VAT on the fee, so it's 20% fee + VAT on the fee, not on the whole purchase.  Same outcome though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Based on the figures it looks like GH have a gross profit margin of approximately 19% which for a business is not much. This is based on 15% seller fees and 4% buyers premium (VAT Is irrelevant). GH are a business but I cant imagine they are making that much money. I'm currently selling my guitar through them and have bought from them. I find them easy to deal with and genuine. It actually works out cheaper to sell through them than it does to sell through a shop and i know that on sale day I'm actually likely to see my item sold rather than wait months. As a buyer it all boils down to what someone is willing to pay for it. 
    Basically yes GH are making money but they are also being open about their costs. Most business have the same charges etc but they just package it all into the retail price. If you are buying from a shop you are still paying VAT, potentially their commission. You can still find the occasional gem at GH but you just have to factor into the costs when your buying or selling. 
  • I have bought from GH, Hammer price was £1000. In total i paid £1240 (£200 VAT + £40 fees)
    Small point, I think there's only VAT on the fee, so it's 20% fee + VAT on the fee, not on the whole purchase.  Same outcome though.

Sorry! Yes you are correct, Which means an increase in the margin but still not a particularly huge one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Based on the figures it looks like GH have a gross profit margin of approximately 19% which for a business is not much. This is based on 15% seller fees and 4% buyers premium (VAT Is irrelevant). GH are a business but I cant imagine they are making that much money. I'm currently selling my guitar through them and have bought from them. I find them easy to deal with and genuine. It actually works out cheaper to sell through them than it does to sell through a shop and i know that on sale day I'm actually likely to see my item sold rather than wait months. As a buyer it all boils down to what someone is willing to pay for it. 
    Basically yes GH are making money but they are also being open about their costs. Most business have the same charges etc but they just package it all into the retail price. If you are buying from a shop you are still paying VAT, potentially their commission. You can still find the occasional gem at GH but you just have to factor into the costs when your buying or selling. 
    I'll stick to using ebay thanks 

• I can only speak for myself, but I've never been (and will never be) a fan of the auction format as a means of buying selling. Obviously, I know it's now factor of modern life, but I prefer good old face-to-face haggling/buying.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    Based on the figures it looks like GH have a gross profit margin of approximately 19% which for a business is not much. This is based on 15% seller fees and 4% buyers premium (VAT Is irrelevant). GH are a business but I cant imagine they are making that much money. I'm currently selling my guitar through them and have bought from them. I find them easy to deal with and genuine. It actually works out cheaper to sell through them than it does to sell through a shop and i know that on sale day I'm actually likely to see my item sold rather than wait months. As a buyer it all boils down to what someone is willing to pay for it. 
    I'll stick to using ebay thanks 
    Yes, give your money to some low tax-paying huge American corporation owned by billionaires instead of a family owned business here in the UK ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1705
    edited November 2017
    So it's good that there's basically a £400 difference on a guitar with a Hanmer price of  a grand? 

Yes I will use ebay thanks. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914

And don't they charge you a fee to bid online??
    Their on line agent (The Saleroom) charges 3%+VAT on the hammer price. GH charge 20% + vat (24%inc VAT)

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited November 2017
    I was the high bidder on a GH auction guitar earlier this year, the hammer price was £1950 - including their fee, VAT and delivery (which I was welcome to organise myself, not forced to use their courier) I think it came in at £2560 total. I suppose it's a pretty biggish fee, but the overall price was still pretty good for the guitar so no problem - I think the key is walking into bidding on something with your eyes wide open and aware that the costs do mount up. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14034
    tFB Trader
    I was the high bidder on a GH auction guitar earlier this year, the hammer price was £1950 - including their fee, VAT and delivery (which I was welcome to organise myself, not forced to use their courier) I think it came in at £2560 total. I suppose it's a pretty biggish fee, but the overall price was still pretty good for the guitar so no problem - I think the key is walking into bidding on something with your eyes wide open and aware that the costs do mount up. 
    I agree and I don't see any issue with regard to the fees, providing the total price still stacks up to the overall  price in the market place, be it e-bay, dealer or FB etc - And I dare say how rare, or desirable the instrument is and how much you need/want it

A simple form of capitalism takes place here - price to high then no bidders, which in turn equals no fees, which in turn equals no business  - We might not all like it, but it only requires 2 bidders to create an increase in the price
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    I have bought two relatively expensive instruments there in the last year. Both worked out a fair amount below retail, fees included, although I did see the "auction red mist" taking the bidding to inexplicable levels on a couple of lots. The descriptions were very fair, pointing out any issues. I can't fault them, in my experience. The fees are what they are. 
  • It’s business as said
    some guide prices are close or higher than eBay bedroom sellers. Most of the time there is little of interest but the next December auction has a gaggle of parts some EMG Sa I quiet fancy for a Strat build next year. So may be will register and bid this time
  • Since when has making money been a sin?

If anyone’s really concerned they’re profiteering, they can buy a copy of their accounts on-line and make their mind up accordingly.

My guess - and it is just that - is that they probably don’t make a massive profit. Most people under-estimate businesses’ costs.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    edited December 2017
    I agree with @richardhomer. There is nothing wrong with this at all. You are buying their service and access to customers or buying their access to product. They, like almost any company exist to make money not to provide value to the market.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Anybody bag anything of interest today?  I was watching that Custom Agent but jumped out at £350. Went for £440 in the end which, including fees, would be something like £560 + delivery.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Generally mad prices for the decent stuff imho. I wonder if some bidders still don’t fully appreciate the level of commission that’s going to be added on to the hammer price. To be fair GH are perfectly transparent about it. 

https://gaplive-eu.globalauctionplatform.com/bidder/?auction=14e3c793-2d4c-45c1-ae1d-a82e00e9217b&platform=SR

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/