Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Flying V Limitations

What's Hot
KareemMonzerKareemMonzer Frets: 0
edited December 2017 in Guitar
Hey guys,

So the Flying V has been a guitar that I've fancied for as long as I can remember, but I always wondered why it was never a big a deal as say a Les Paul or whatever. Its also it and the explorer are considerably cheaper than average Les Pauls. Does anyone know any drawbacks or limitations to the guitar? Or why not many artists use it?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I'd say it's biggest limitation is its V shaped. 

I'd say that's pretty marmite
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Play it sat down... (I think there was one brand which had a little flip-down tab, a bit like a Steinberger,)

The real limitation, in my view, is that you'll sound like someone trying to be Michael Schenker.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11497
    tFB Trader
    Sadly it was a complete flop when it was released - ahead of it's time I guess.
    Later on it was widely adopted by many players.
    Some feel that the guitar is either too flash looking or awkward to sit down with .
    However on a strap they are wonderful and feel quite weightless because of the balance

I don't know what Gibson undervalue them - maybe they feel that they appeal to a younger player with less money so they price them that way . 
    However not all Vees are equal and some are definitely better made than others - some of the better more upmarket ones are more expensive.
    I make quite a few myself and up the ante quite a bit in terms of build quality - quartersawn three piece necks  etc and better hardware and pickups etc. I also find that there are quite a few little upgrades and mpds that can enhance the off the shelf models

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Original Vees had a rubber non-slip pad attached along the lower edge of the body in an attempt to aid seated playing. It did not really help. 

When present, the V-shaped tailpiece introduces three different string break angles and, consequently, three different string tensions. Unless you choose custom gauge strings, the Es feel slightly floppy, the A and B feel okay and D and G feel stiff. 

The slab bodies and absence of binding make the Gibson "shape" guitars simpler and less time-consuming to build. This is reflected in the retail prices.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited December 2017
    It's huge, unweildy, very awkward to play sitting down, slightly awkward to play on a strap, and quite style-specific - it is not a rhythm guitarist's instrument. And a lot of people just look stupid playing one, including me .

That said it's the most iconic electric guitar design apart from the Strat. Ask a non-musician to draw an electric guitar and I bet whatever attempt they produce looks something like one of them...

They don't actually sound very different from any other two-humbucker guitar. A little - they do have a distinctive neck pickup tone in particular - but not enough that it makes any real musical difference.

The '58 style ones in particular have a unfortunate tendency for the neck to separate from the body as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5654
    edited December 2017
    I spent ages wondering if I’d missed the point in my life where I could pull off a vee. In the end I realised that if
    you stop for even a second to ask yourself, you have. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Absolutely fantastic, completely iconic guitars that are *almost* impossible to play sitting down, and nearly-as-impossible to buy cases for.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the reply guys! How would you rate the current 2018 model to the 2017 HP model?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    I love 'em.
    Limitations is the much mentioned sitting down.
    And I don't know I'd be happy playing a wedding gig with my V.
    They do sort of make a statement.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    Surely the sit-down position is with your knee between the wings? Makes it really easy to play sat down and it won't slip at all.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    ICBM said:
    it is not a rhythm guitarist's instrument. 
    Rudolf Schenker might disagree.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I keep gigbags and cases for them
    Fusion gigbags and SKB cases

Here is one of ours that we have in stock:
    The neck tenon goes under and beyond the neck pickup and the body extends under the neck so not weak there

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

The neck tenon goes under and beyond the neck pickup and the body extends under the neck so not weak there
    That’s a major design improvement. Very nice!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

To be fair it's exactly how the ORIGINAL 1958 ones were done 
    The reissues and Epi ones are wrong  and weaker like you say.

edited December 2017 tFB Trader
    The Grinch that stole Riff-mas

Recessed straplock fitting

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017
    FelineGuitars said:

Ah! I've never seen an original '58. There's a 1983 CS reissue - one of the very first - in the shop just now, that's broken through from the outside of the body to the pickup cavity, and I assumed that it was made the same way as an original. Gibson really have a big blind spot when it comes to stuff like this, don't they...

The '67-style extended shoulders make a big difference though. It doesn't look like much, but it almost doubles the side wall contact area. Personally I think it looks better, too - sleeker.

• Anybody remember the guitar mag April Fool creation, the Thunderbolt? I liked the look of that at the time, at least it would work sitting down :)

By the way, those vees look fan bloody tastic, nice one :)
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    I keep gigbags and cases for them
    Fusion gigbags and SKB cases

My credit card just ran out of the room fearing for its life!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    ICBM said:

I love that neck joint with the body extended under the neck heel, it must add a little strength and it looks so elegant (beautiful korina too!).

Gibson custom shop SG Standards have a similar heel, although presumably the neck tenon doesn't extend far into the body.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom