Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Flying V Limitations

What's Hot

Comments

• maraudermarauder Frets: 133
    Another Feline, it's far too cool for me, but i don't care.

http://cleggdom.juansolo.co.uk/DSCF4929.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Clarky said:

Why does everyone focus on the need to play a Vee sat down.....a Flying Vee isn't for playing sat down!

They've for playing with a wide legged rock god stance in front of a wall of Marshalls in a cloud of dry ice and some sort of elaborate stage set involving a devil goat or neolithic monument....that's what a Vee is for.

(or originally for playing Country)

I'd not want to be stood when recording for hours and hours...
    also... my V's weigh almost 5kg..
    fine for a gig... rehearsal.. but a 6 hour practice / recording session... arm... nah... lol..
    sit with it
    I'm just here trying to collect Lols
    More likely to get Wizzed on for that, mind. ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72309
    not_the_dj said:

Jimi and Albert King aside my first thoughts are Judas Priest and Megadeth when it comes to V style guitars.
    Mine are Jimi, Marc Bolan and Andy Powell.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    not_the_dj said:

Jimi and Albert King aside my first thoughts are Judas Priest and Megadeth when it comes to V style guitars.
    Mine are Jimi, Marc Bolan and Andy Powell.
    Good call on Marc Bolan

But Michael Schenker, Rudy Schenker must stand as major users

Wolf Hoffman (Accept), James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett (early Metallica)
    Paul Stanley, Randy Rhoads, Lenny Kravitz, Keith Richards , Joe Bonnamassa, 
    Even Tom Petty in the early days

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

edited December 2017 tFB Trader

If you're interested, this one is available with a soft padded case.......

Good V that one...I refretted it
    marauder said:
    Another Feline, it's far too cool for me, but i don't care.

Ah that was my own personal guitar - loved it!

Thorpy had that for a while

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anybody playing a V from about 1980 onwards there is that sense of the question arising are they wearing it ironically or not. Tom Dumont ( of No Doubt) for example - I sense it's meant to be some kind of post rock ironic statement. Tim Wheeler from Ash also comes to mind.If I had a V would people see it as ironic hipster or ageing rocker? 

No - it doesn't need to be "post modern ironic"

The only reason for people claiming to do it that way is because some trendy hipster type told them Vs were for dinosaur bands (probably some jaded journo from NME) and saying that you were doing it ironically was the best way to not take that flak.

If it looks good, feels good and sounds good ...THEN DO IT.

We live in an age when we are so worried that someone else will sneer at us or tell us we are fools.
    Thing is if you do it and "own the moment" you bypass that BS, and people look and say that you are actually cool .

You end up as the guy who is suddenly cool enough to rock a flying V..
    It would take more than a Flying V to make me cool. Way, way more...

Anyway, the aforementioned Hamer Vector standing up all by itself:

https://imgur.com/gallery/VrtEm
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    prowla said:
    The master at work (and a great band!)...

Wonderful - The outro solo at 4.24 gets me every time!

I was in the company of bassist Chris Glen last weekend (and Doogie White and Graham Bonnet too) at the Winterstorm Festival In Troon, Ayrshire. Scotland .

A few MSG tunes went down during the various sets too, but nothing quite like seeing Michael at work (The Schenker Fest a few weeks before had been excellent though)
    Fantastic!

I once emailed Doogie after I saw a programme on TV about Rainbow, where he was talking about his work in Stranger In Us All, saying that I admired his attitude and enthusiasm, and he sent me a very nice reply.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    For all this talk of metal and Stonehenge and whatnot, the bands I most associate with Vs are Ash (pop rock if anything), and My Morning Jacket (psychedelic alt country?), plus a little Jimi, obviously.

This is one of those YMMV things.

For me it's Hetfield and Schenker (obviously) but also Jim Martin from Faith No More.

And although it's not a Gibson, Brent Hinds's EGC lucite V is one of the coolest guitars ever made, no arguments please.

http://www.effectsbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/brent-hinds-mastodon-egc-flying-v.jpg
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Clarky said:

Why does everyone focus on the need to play a Vee sat down.....a Flying Vee isn't for playing sat down!

They've for playing with a wide legged rock god stance in front of a wall of Marshalls in a cloud of dry ice and some sort of elaborate stage set involving a devil goat or neolithic monument....that's what a Vee is for.

(or originally for playing Country)

I'd not want to be stood when recording for hours and hours...
    also... my V's weigh almost 5kg..
    fine for a gig... rehearsal.. but a 6 hour practice / recording session... arm... nah... lol..
    sit with it
    I'm just here trying to collect Lols
    as a player of V's, with a wide stance, stood in front of Marshall's
    you get a wis... lol..

country on a V?
    is that even legal?
    play every note as if it were your first
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    57Deluxe said:
    they should've come with an instruction booklet on how to play them!!

he don't interview well does he..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Clarky said:

country on a V?
    is that even legal?
    Ask the bloke from the Mavericks - he used to 'Dance the Night Away' with a black V fitted with a Bigsby waggle stick.
    Oh and yes, shit song.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72309
    edited December 2017
    impmann said:
    Clarky said:

country on a V?
    is that even legal?
    Ask the bloke from the Mavericks - he used to 'Dance the Night Away' with a black V fitted with a Bigsby waggle stick.
    Oh and yes, shit song.
    Don't forget Lonnie Mack - almost certainly the first pro musician to use a V, he bought it new in 1958.

http://img.wennermedia.com/article-leads-horizontal/rs-238093-GettyImages-75945403.jpg

(Probably more blues than country, although I'm not sure about his early stuff.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader

is that a real Gibson, or a re-badged epi, not being cheeky, but it looks just like mine (a re-badged epi)
  • Three pages in and no one's yet mentioned the Wombles - surely the greatest ambassadors of the V.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

is that a real Gibson, or a re-badged epi, not being cheeky, but it looks just like mine (a re-badged epi)
    No - it's a full 100% Gibson with an ebony fingerboard 
    I originally got it in a trade
    It was originally white, but the original finish looked a bit worse for wear and I had it refinished in an old English white and did a full refret on it and fitted an Earvana nut.

• If you're interested, this one is available with a soft padded case.......

How much are you asking for it? Willing to ship ti Ireland? You can reply on a PM, if you wish.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    edited December 2017

This all the V I need, sounds great:

• Clarky said:
    stonevibe said:
    Surely the sit-down position is with your knee between the wings? Makes it really easy to play sat down and it won't slip at all.
    when you sit with it you have a posture that's a lot like playing a classical guitar..
    the bottom horn of the V is between your legs..
    so [for a righty] the underside of the body rests on the left thigh
    the only thing is that you have to sit quite forward on the chair to do this, which can get a little uncomfortable if you're seated for long periods.. you can't slouch back in the chair..
    but if you're playing seriously [recording or serious practice for example] you shouldn't be slouched back anyhow

my V's are really cool... I love em

Exactly.  I also always play sat down with my guitar on my fretting hand leg, feels a lot more natural (though it helps to have a footrest too I find).

Come on 'can't play it sat down fretboarders', If Chad can do it, so can you.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22783
    Clarky said:
    57Deluxe said:

He has recovered from a stroke, to be fair.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Philly_Q said:
    Clarky said:
    57Deluxe said:

He has recovered from a stroke, to be fair.
    This.

We are lucky to still have him with us. Bear in mind he had to relearn how to play guitar after his stoke from what I've read.

Frankly, I'd be far more interested in a Gibson Flying V Dave Davies Signature model than anyone else. He made the V mainstream.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.