Finishing an ash body with a stained burst and a decent gloss top coat

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
edited December 2017 in Making & Modding
Hi guys.

Help appreciated here... a lot of pictures are missing on old threads across various webforums due to Photobucket.

So the goal is a stained (grain visible) purpleburst Telecaster with a decent gloss finish on top.  I really don't care about nitro vs poly, but would like a smooth gloss finish on top of the stained colour, in fact whichever is easier of the two would be the better choice.  There is access to a place to spray as necessary, but if a first time finish is easier by using an alternate method then that'd possibly be preferable.

Wes recommended using Chestnut stains for the colour http://www.axminster.co.uk/chestnut-spirit-wood-stain-ax21822 so will be ordering that.  Applying the stain looks fairly straightforward, there are multiple guides and YT videos showing how to do this.

- So looking for recommendations on what grain filler product and when to apply it (just as have seen conflicting workflows on some forums before and after staining).  Specific products appreciated.

- And what products to achieve the gloss finish.  Nitro, some kind of poly.  Specific products appreciated.

So far this guide looks pretty good but it's obviously products from Stew Mac, and I'd like to buy in the UK.  When I've looked up some other forums finishing posts I've seen differing methodologies and it gets extra confusing when there are missing pictures due to the photobucket hosting thing.  On top of this, it's not actually me that will be applying the finish, my g/f will be doing it as my Christmas present - she has experience making things but this will be her first time doing this kind of finish so any help appreciated.

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Learn_About_Instrument_Finishing_and_Finish_Repair/Finishing_a_Blue_Guitar.html

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2392
    For me I apply rustins grain filler before any stain, often I stain the filler with black spirit stain to have a more pronounced grain/contrast with the main colour.
    I've been using Rustins Plastic Coating recently for a gloss finish, applied by brush every 3 hours or so and flatted off every few coats, this produces a fantastic gloss finish similar to a factory poly finish, bloody stinks during application though so a good respirator is recommended. 
    I find using RPC much easier than wipe on oil applications, it can go on much thicker so less coats are needed and it really is incredibly tough. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    The RPC isn’t a bad call, I used to do it that way.  

You would need to go light with the first coats to avoid a run on the stain, but one that’s done you can go for heavier coats.

a decent lacquer brush is important, and a long weekend to apply coats every few hours.  Sand level each morning avoiding edges until the very end.  If you leave it more than 12 hrs, you need to leave it 24-36 to fully cure before the next coat or it wrinkles.

You can tint it with the stain too, but I would only do that if spraying, or need to fix a flaw.  
  • Ok great, thanks guys that is helpful.  Hopefully not too many more questions - 

How many coats of the RPC?

Would this qualify as a decent lacquer brush?  Since I'd be ordering the stains from axminster it would be handy to order the brush from there too if it is suitable.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/liberon-flat-lacquer-brush-ax22527

For a respirator is this appropriate?  I need to drop in to Screw Fix soon anyway 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3m-4251-maintenance-free-organic-vapour-particulate-respirator-ffa1p2rd/13038

Can't comment on that brush as I used a draper 2" paintbrush which did the job beautifully, and discarded after each project.
    8 or 9 coats iirc but at least 2 of those will be flatted off and the last coat also will most likely go with the final wet sanding and cut/polish. 

That's the respirator I used, if you can smell the product then the respirator isn't working ;)  worked fine for me. 
    that's exactly the brush i used to use.   It holds a nice amount of lacquer so flows nicely     I leave it in the coating between coats and only clean at the end
  • Ok great. Thanks
  • Sorry to bug you guys again @Sarge @WezV ;

Is the 250ml bottle of RPC enough for a guitar or is it better to just get the 1L?
    It’s plenty
  • Excellent, thanks.
    I got the 1L and I've done two guitars and one bass, including one neck and I estimate I've enough left for another 5 or 6 bodies, only mix what you think you'll need and make sure your mix ratio is accurate as you may need to mix up some more on the one project.
    Good luck and post progress pics!