Acoustic set up?

Is it the same things as setting up an electric?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited December 2017
    More hassle dealing with the saddle.
    Get the neck as near to straight as you can, then you can have a look at action and intonation. If you have a small set of files you can look into cutting a custom saddle with ideal intonation. Here's a bone saddle I cut from a blank:

https://i.imgur.com/Z738QJM.jpg

You start after setting the height and intonate using a length of old plain string for the string to rest on, mark the ideal spot and later shape away, sand and polish.

Older acoustics may have a hump in the upper frets, if its too extreme then levelling alone wont fix it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    robgilmo said:
    Is it the same things as setting up an electric?
    Essentially, yes - although generally you want a higher action than you would on an electric. Even those acoustics which 'play like electrics' (eg Taylor) are still slightly higher.

As Winny_Pooh said, getting the bridge right is a lot more hassle, and you have far less opportunity to try going too low and then back up again if it's wrong which you can do easily on an electric, so it's best to take your time even if it means having the saddle out more than once.

I also compensate the top edge of the saddle usually, but I don't measure it - I simply cut two straight ridges, one running from front to back under the E and B strings, and the other from front to back under the other four. It's very rare that this isn't dead on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM... when you say 'you want a higher action than you would on an electric'... is this at the nut... at the saddle... or at both the nut and the saddle?

Thanks

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600

@ICBM... when you say 'you want a higher action than you would on an electric'... is this at the nut... at the saddle... or at both the nut and the saddle?

Thanks

For acoustic, playing style is a big factor regarding set up. Bluegrass players for example often prefer a high action. If you have a light touch, maybe play a lot of fingerstyle then you can get away with a lower action. For me comfort is the primary factor.
    Regarding the nut, if an F barre is uncomfortable, I would want to lower it. There are lots of Youtube videos that will walk you through an acoustic set up.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    @ICBM... when you say 'you want a higher action than you would on an electric'... is this at the nut... at the saddle... or at both the nut and the saddle?>
    At the bridge, and a bit more relief in the neck usually. The nut should be pretty much the same height.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM... thanks.