Young player having fun

What's Hot
123578

Comments

  • WezVWezV Frets: 7246
    edited December 2017

    where are all the people claiming you need to be tall to play a firebird?

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 2494
    BRISTOL86 said:
    I can’t get my head around those who have to look for some kind of deeper meaning here. 

    It’s a kid having a fucking good time playing the guitar and being damn good at it to boot.

    Appreciate it for what it is - someone enjoying themselves doing something we all love. 
    absolutely...
    playing because you love to play is all that matters
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 843
    He's local to me and his Dad called me up asking if I'd give him a free amp because 'everyone else was'.

    "Sorry, I only endorse musicians who already use my products" I said.

    Didn't hear back from him :)
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar and Bass Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk
    3reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 2494
    edited December 2017

    Kalimna said:
    Cracking video - the look on his face when they join him on stage
    fk yeah.... that is sooooo cool..

    and don't he look comfortable on stage too..
    that's a big audience and a big stage...
    hands up guys.. who in here has played in a place / to an audience that big...

    edit: additional thought....
    how the fk do you get to play at the Palladium??
    ok so you have to be good enough in the first place..
    and being an 11 year old that plays like that has a degree of novelty factor [hate saying that cos it demeans him a bit..]
    anyways... whatever marketing / PR stuff has been happening in the background is formidable and clever...
    that's not an easy gig to get at all

    the big thing though...
    what next??
    become a pro in a band?? a pro session player?? or end up with a normal day job and just play for fun / semi-pro??

    when you're a grown up in this industry there's no more novelty factor..
    and this industry is very tough
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RiftAmps said:
    He's local to me and his Dad called me up asking if I'd give him a free amp because 'everyone else was'.
    Wow. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ricorico Frets: 638
    Kalimna said:
    Cracking video - the look on his face when they join him on stage :)
    Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling that did!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 2494
    RiftAmps said:
    He's local to me and his Dad called me up asking if I'd give him a free amp because 'everyone else was'.

    "Sorry, I only endorse musicians who already use my products" I said.

    Didn't hear back from him :)
    that's pretty cheeky as excuses go..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 1530
    Kalimna said:
    It also separates the Tracy Emin Bed's of the world from something by Turner, say.
    As does the absence of the word "@chillidoggy" on any of Turner's stuff... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 6164
    Still chuckling at "the Michael Buble of blues"...

    Good luck to the lad - I wish I could have played that well at that age. Who knows what he may achieve - but one thing is for sure, he's already achieved more than most of us ALREADY.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • hes obviously having fun, played at the palladium with mcfly on national telly .... what had you achieved at 12? good lad, rock on
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DLMDLM Frets: 1530

    BRISTOL86 said:
    RiftAmps said:
    He's local to me and his Dad called me up asking if I'd give him a free amp because 'everyone else was'.
    Wow. 

    That was a Trumpesque Fake Wow. Fake Wows exist! I gave Mr. RiftAmps a Real Wow. ;)

    On the content: There we have the reason the kid's mum is sleeping with @Sambostar. ;

    Clarky said:
    that's a big audience and a big stage...
    hands up guys.. who in here has played in a place / to an audience that big...

    *DLM raises hand*

    Armoured vehicle repair hall.

    Tiny audience compared to the size of the building, though. :)

    Nowt on @Danny1969, of course.

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 7246
    pia98jf said:
    RiftAmps said:
    He's local to me and his Dad called me up asking if I'd give him a free amp because 'everyone else was'.

    "Sorry, I only endorse musicians who already use my products" I said.

    Didn't hear back from him :)
    His parents aren’t pushy then, no not all...
    Just opportunistic.  I get these kinda requests from guitarists quite regularly.  Age and skill level have very little to do with it.

    he will have got a free amp and/or a significant discount from one of the bigger companies.  It’s surprising when people think a small builder can offer the same kind of deal
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WezV said:
    pia98jf said:
    RiftAmps said:
    He's local to me and his Dad called me up asking if I'd give him a free amp because 'everyone else was'.

    "Sorry, I only endorse musicians who already use my products" I said.

    Didn't hear back from him :)
    His parents aren’t pushy then, no not all...
    Just opportunistic.  I get these kinda requests from guitarists quite regularly.  Age and skill level have very little to do with it.
    Superb! I’m old and shit at the guitar, can I have some free stuff?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 7246
    No answer is still no ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WezV said:
    pia98jf said:
    RiftAmps said:
    He's local to me and his Dad called me up asking if I'd give him a free amp because 'everyone else was'.

    "Sorry, I only endorse musicians who already use my products" I said.

    Didn't hear back from him :)
    His parents aren’t pushy then, no not all...
    Just opportunistic.  I get these kinda requests from guitarists quite regularly.  Age and skill level have very little to do with it.

    he will have got a free amp and/or a significant discount from one of the bigger companies.  It’s surprising when people think a small builder can offer the same kind of deal

    But, don't you want 'exposure'? http://theoatmeal.com/comics/exposure


    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 843
    BRISTOL86 said:
    pia98jf said:
    RiftAmps said:
    He's local to me and his Dad called me up asking if I'd give him a free amp because 'everyone else was'.

    "Sorry, I only endorse musicians who already use my products" I said.

    Didn't hear back from him
    His parents aren’t pushy then, no not all...
    Not sure that asking for freebies on his son’s behalf’s means he’s forcing his kid to do something he doesn’t want to do. 

    It’s a cheeky thing to do but that’s another issue! 
    To be fair, I get it a lot. He's just one of many people with a pumped up level of self-worth that try and wangle free gear from me. I suppose it's a compliment?!
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar and Bass Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 2494
    pia98jf said:
    RiftAmps said:
    He's local to me and his Dad called me up asking if I'd give him a free amp because 'everyone else was'.

    "Sorry, I only endorse musicians who already use my products" I said.

    Didn't hear back from him :)
    His parents aren’t pushy then, no not all...
    if nothing else they're certainly opportunist
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 306
    Well at the other extreme are parents who don’t give a shit so perhaps I shouldn’t be too critical. 

    @ Riftand WezV - is that how ‘endorsements’work then? You’re expected to provide free equipment and if the artist likes it you get endorsed. If they don’t, or get a better deal somewhere else, they then sell it to make themselves a tidy profit?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 7246
    pia98jf said:
    Well at the other extreme are parents who don’t give a shit so perhaps I shouldn’t be too critical. 

    @ Riftand WezV - is that how ‘endorsements’work then? You’re expected to provide free equipment and if the artist likes it you get endorsed. If they don’t, or get a better deal somewhere else, they then sell it to make themselves a tidy profit?
    Depends on the size of the artist.  Simple endorsement deals for local up and coming bands may just be a discount.  The bigger the artist, the more free stuff and support they get.

    A friend had one with a major amp company that got him a free stack and 20% of anything else he wanted


    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 251
    BRISTOL86 said:
    WezV said:
    pia98jf said:
    RiftAmps said:
    He's local to me and his Dad called me up asking if I'd give him a free amp because 'everyone else was'.

    "Sorry, I only endorse musicians who already use my products" I said.

    Didn't hear back from him :)
    His parents aren’t pushy then, no not all...
    Just opportunistic.  I get these kinda requests from guitarists quite regularly.  Age and skill level have very little to do with it.
    Superb! I’m old and shit at the guitar, can I have some free stuff?
    Hmm.
    I'm middle aged and mediocre.
    Can I have some free stuff?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 2494
    WezV said:
    pia98jf said:
    Well at the other extreme are parents who don’t give a shit so perhaps I shouldn’t be too critical. 

    @ Riftand WezV - is that how ‘endorsements’work then? You’re expected to provide free equipment and if the artist likes it you get endorsed. If they don’t, or get a better deal somewhere else, they then sell it to make themselves a tidy profit?
    Depends on the size of the artist.  Simple endorsement deals for local up and coming bands may just be a discount.  The bigger the artist, the more free stuff and support they get.

    A friend had one with a major amp company that got him a free stack and 20% of anything else he wanted


    funnily enough... my old school mate is Gary Wallis
    we used to be in a band together as teenagers..
    me on guitar, him on drums..
    when he was just another SE London estate kid he couldn't afford anything and his parents did everything they could to help him..
    Now he's a world famous drummer / percussionist
    I remember him saying to me once that it's nuts.. cos now can afford it, folks give him drum stuff for free
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 341
    You asserted that in order to play blues (and to an extent, music outside of blues) with meaning, then you had to have had a painful life. That strikes me as pretentious, as does the general manner in which you come across all holier-than-thou when replying to posts criticising your way of thinking. The above post is a perfect example of this.

    Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Clarky said:
    WezV said:
    pia98jf said:
    Well at the other extreme are parents who don’t give a shit so perhaps I shouldn’t be too critical. 

    @ Riftand WezV - is that how ‘endorsements’work then? You’re expected to provide free equipment and if the artist likes it you get endorsed. If they don’t, or get a better deal somewhere else, they then sell it to make themselves a tidy profit?
    Depends on the size of the artist.  Simple endorsement deals for local up and coming bands may just be a discount.  The bigger the artist, the more free stuff and support they get.

    A friend had one with a major amp company that got him a free stack and 20% of anything else he wanted


    funnily enough... my old school mate is Gary Wallis
    we used to be in a band together as teenagers..
    me on guitar, him on drums..
    when he was just another SE London estate kid he couldn't afford anything and his parents did everything they could to help him..
    Now he's a world famous drummer / percussionist
    I remember him saying to me once that it's nuts.. cos now can afford it, folks give him drum stuff for free
    It came up in a podcast I listen to recently.

    Paraphrased: ‘don’t waste forever trying to research and buy the best piece of gear, spend that energy getting good and working hard and you’ll end up getting it anyway’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 4862
    I'm currently listening to a track called "The Old Fashioned Plough Boys" by a folk duo that I know. I'm pretty sure neither Nick or Becki have ever done a days ploughing in their lives, yet they are still able to sing about it. 

    I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 341
    Stupid and naive? Oh bless your cotton socks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 6076
    Blues has nothing to do with painful life experiences, Robert Johnson was a know-nothing whippersnapper who'd probably never even been mis-sold PPI. 


    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 341
    I see what you did there :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • tampaxbootampaxboo Frets: 477
    edited December 2017
    not meaning to be uncharitable or downright mean to this kid in particular, he seems to better or worse than the average showbiz kid, but 'showbiz kids' of all species and genres i generally find a bit nauseating (fixed grin and jazz hands cheesiness) and dread-inspiring.

    not in a misanthropic way. i'm totally pro young people finding their passion and making the most of it, and i'm sure this kid has a great time playing. my distaste is more to do with a certain negative climate of pushy parenting and overindulgence that so often seems to exist behind the scenes in such instances. a climate which (though seeming to work in the kid's interest when young) can ultimately (long term) spin young heads in a way that makes adjusting to not always being the centre of attention, and other realities of grown up beyond-family life, hugely difficult to adjust to as they get older.

    so i can't help watching these sort of things feeling superficially positive, a kid enjoying their interest is a good thing, but with a little pilot light of dread burning in the back of my mind thinking 'is this kid going to end up another failed-to-fulfil-potential crackhead childstar at nineteen?'

    but i sincerely hope he does ok.
    i am the hired assassin... the specialist. i introduce myself to you... i'm a sadist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 1258
    edited December 2017
    tampaxboo said:
    so i can't help watching these sort of things feeling superficially positive, a kid enjoying their interest is a good thing, but with a little pilot light of dread burning in the back of my mind thinking 'is this kid going to end up another failed-to-fulfil-potential crackhead childstar at nineteen?'
    Tell you what, let's stop wasting time and just send in Social Services now.

    Those parents are 100% guaranteed to be up to something, with a spot of luck they'll both be left-handed so we can have them burned as witches and be done with it.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WezVWezV Frets: 7246
    you know those threads we have where new dads buy a posh guitar “for the kids” and put it under the bed for when they are older.... I always assume it’s a sneaky way to justify a new purchase.  this is what happens when it backfires
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.