Hired Gun - Documentary (Netflix)

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 982
Currently on Netflix.  Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/gfYbLXCHjBM

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    A must watch IMO - thanks for posting :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    Really enjoying this, where are some people’s morals though. The guy from filter seemed to treat his band members terribly. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    @ThorpyFX paused approx half way through for the moment. Couldn't agree more he had been dumped on and decided to do the same. 

Reminds me of years ago was thinking of seeing oasis with our son and the cheapest tickets in  Manchester were £175. Three tickets over half a grand and this was years ago like 2002 or something - jog on!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    There was a band called Hired Gun on a Midsomer Murders episode. Suzi Quatro was on vocals, James Cosmo on guitar.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    There was a similar thing called Rock & Roll Guns For Hire on the BBC a few months ago, that was pretty good too.
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1597
    I really enjoyed this, however I don’t envy the musicians in it. What a horrible vacuous industry it is and Billy Joel - what a prick.
  • I feel fully vindicated in my preference for Alice Cooper over Billy Joel. 

Good documentary. Really enjoyed it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I enjoyed that too, a lot of pretty humble and really talented people in it.

The guy from filter, Trent Reznor and Billy Joel didn’t come out in a very flattering light - what a surprise massive ego rock stars are dicks, who would have thought it:)

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    edited December 2017
    Watched it twice on the bounce. That dude from Pink- his solo at 0.29 was epic.

agree with much of the above. Billy Joel came across as a right twat. Particularly when the fella committed suicide. Enjoyed the contributions from all musicians and the other interesting thing was the level of contribution hired guns have made to classic tracks which goes un noticed, un credited and un paid. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • I’m finding it a bit unfocused. Hysterically wrong Metallica photo at one point, IIRC. If Bernie Torme watches this he must be spitting feathers as he played with Ozzy before Brad Gillis. I’m not really sure that all of these people really qualify as hired guns. Billy Joel didn’t come across as such an arsehole on the BBC production ( although quite a bit of this film is given over to making sure that he does here). I could have done with a few more snippets of music to illustrate the points ( rather than people practising the drums).
    Still, has it's moments and Rudy Sarzo has lovely hair.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Jason Newsted didnt half lay it on thick when he was describing how he learned of Cliff Burtons death.

Quite an enjoyable little documentary overall.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22742
    I looks really interesting - lots of familiar faces - but unfortunately I don't have access to Netflix.  Maybe I'll get a chance to see it in future, somehow. 
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I’m finding it a bit unfocused. Hysterically wrong Metallica photo at one point, IIRC. If Bernie Torme watches this he must be spitting feathers as he played with Ozzy before Brad Gillis. I’m not really sure that all of these people really qualify as hired guns. Billy Joel didn’t come across as such an arsehole on the BBC production ( although quite a bit of this film is given over to making sure that he does here). I could have done with a few more snippets of music to illustrate the points ( rather than people practising the drums).
    Still, has it's moments and Rudy Sarzo has lovely hair.  
    Agreed!  Was good overall but went a bit wonky in parts.  Didn't realise Billy Joel was such a dick.