Early '80's Solid-State Combo ID?

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

Sometime in 1982, I acquired one of these from a friend's dad...

Back then,. I had no idea what it was, but (at the time), I thought it sounded great. However, my teenage self also thought that Discharge, Anti-Pasti, Crass and The Exploited sounded great, so perhaps that's not the best yardstick. ;)

During the intervening 35 years, I have seen maybe one or two others.

Recently, I picked one up in a job lot of stuff...and (on hooking it up last night) I was pleasantly surprised to note that my memory didn't play me false. The Normal input is quite warm and transparent (although the Bright is a bit "in-ya-face"), with nicely interactive controls and - with some judicious and subtle fiddling - a reasonably useable overdrive/distortion circuit. I was certainly able to coax some decent tones out of it. It's also bloody LOUD.

However, I'm still puzzled as to it's origins - other than "Made in England", there are no external indicators as to it's manufacturer. I've yet to strip it to clean the pots/switches, etc, so I can't say the same for the PCB (yet).

I just wondered if it looked familiar to anyone? Seen one before?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Intermusic?

The styling is very reminiscent of the Imp practice amp (a little 10 watt combo I had in my youth).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Intermusic?

The styling is very reminiscent of the Imp practice amp (a little 10 watt combo I had in my youth).
    I've got a few Intermusic heads and combos - their logo is quite distinctive.

Here's an Imp:

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HarrySeven said:
    I've got a few Intermusic heads and combos 
    I thought you might have.... :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72263
    I recognise it, but I can’t quite put a name to it... I’ll get back to you if I come up with anything :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    edited December 2017

Why does "Kay's Catalogue" shout out at me?

Oh, and BTW IC, do you not think the raked front panel neatly gets over the 'top v front' controls debacle?

Little used these days, must be costly to implement.

Dave.

• ecc83 said:

Why does "Kay's Catalogue" shout out at me?

Hmmmm...I may be wrong, but I don’t think so. IIRC,

Didn’t Kays market their own brand, along with those horrid Sound City and Londoner things?

For some reason, Maplin springs to mind, but I’m not sure why...

ecc83 said:

Oh, and BTW IC, do you not think the raked front panel neatly gets over the 'top v front' controls debacle?

Little used these days, must be costly to implement.

Yes, and not that easily compatible with everything being mounted on one large PCB, unless you do it like the modern Fender solid-state amps and angle the entire chassis floor.

It is by far the best layout for a combo though.

HarrySeven said:

For some reason, Maplin springs to mind, but I’m not sure why...
    Ohm was the first thing that came to my mind - the panel graphics are very similar.

What I don't remember is whether Ohm, Intermusic etc actually made their own stuff or whether they contracted it out to someone. If so, then this amp was probably made in the same factory.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richhrichh Frets: 450
    Have you looked inside the chassis for any info printed inside?  Very strange that either there was no logo initially or maybe its all been stripped off.  Or maybe it is really a vintage Dumble in disguise?  Think about it - how else could you take it out and gig it, without worrying about it getting nicked?  Easy, remove temptation and nobody would look twice at it!
  • Wasn’t Intermusic a sub-brand for PA:CE?

Same as Redmere, MM, etc?

• @richh - not stripped it to clean yet.

NB. There has been no logo on any examples I’ve previously came across.

That back panel made from a piece of extruded heatsink rail is very familiar, but I can't quite remember from what - maybe Maine, but the rest of it doesn't look right.

The cabinet is almost identical to a Proamp as well.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    edited December 2017
    The font on the back is the same used by Ohm. But could it be a Custom Sound...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    ICBM said:

Ohm was the first thing that came to my mind - the panel graphics are very similar.

I've still got my original 1970s/80s Ohm combo - it's currently doing service in my workshop.  I'll run out and take a piccy later for comparison purposes.

My recollection is that they did make their own stuff.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • impmann said:

Hmmm...Custom Sound were generally not backwards in coming forwards re. their branding, plus, they used quite distinctive red/black livery. I'd be surprised if it was...

• impmann said:

The font on the back is (IIRC) Eurostile Bold Extended - you're right, it was also used by Ohm. Different graphics though.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    Exchange and Mart music section.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    My Ohm Studio 30 ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    Could it be a Burman?
  • TTony said:
    My Ohm Studio 30 ...

I had an Ohm bass combo and that is very much a close relative in the way that Harry's isn't. Maybe from different periods of the company possibly but the one in the OP isn't screaming Ohm to me. 
    I did wonder about Tandy/ RadioShack given the period but the only pictures coming up all had those distinctive multi coloured knobs. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Might it possibly be a unit that was marketed by R.S.C. the predecessors to Maplin?

They sold FAL amps (Futuristic Aids Limited), but I think it could be one they sold under the 'Linear' brand.