Early '80's Solid-State Combo ID?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3584
    Wasn’t Intermusic a sub-brand for PA:CE?

Same as Redmere, MM, etc?
    The knobs and switches look similar to these although they were typical of the fare available to UK makers at the time (probably via Maplins). It does have that sort of look though. Could it be an early pre production version of the sessionette? I seem to remember there being a few prototypes of those, the timing would be about right but can't find anything in images. The current bloke from award sessions is the original maker, didn't he post here for a while and then take umbridge, he might have knowledge of who and where at the time. Also about that time HH went and Harrison started making amps (power amps from what I recall) could that be a line of investigation? Other than that I'm out of ideas.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3584
    One more thought, that unusual legend block marking around the controls, I've seen that somewhere before, the standard of overall construction looks good.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72293
    ESBlonde said:
    One more thought, that unusual legend block marking around the controls, I've seen that somewhere before
    Same here. I just can't remember on what...

ESBlonde said:

the standard of overall construction looks good.
    Agreed, better than a Proamp (which the cabinet looks very nearly identical to) and as good as the best of the 'lesser name' brands - some of which were actually very good, including Ohm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    ICBM said:
    ESBlonde said:
    One more thought, that unusual legend block marking around the controls, I've seen that somewhere before
    I remember something similar on JHS branded combos, sold to the trade by Skewes.
  • mbe said:
    ICBM said:
    ESBlonde said:
    I remember something similar on JHS branded combos, sold to the trade by Skewes.
    Yeah, although based on google images ( one of which brings you back to someone on here) not the same :anguished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rprrpr Frets: 309
    The name "Badger" sprung to mind ...Quick google shows a couple of different brand names and variations.,,,, close,but no cigar tho...
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    The numbering of the controls is unusual. The eq controls have 5 each side, common for cut and boost, but the other controls are also marked 5 max instead of 10. None of the other amps posted here do that. It just seems a slightly strange choice of numbering. Does that feature connect it with any other known amps?
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

"That back panel made from a piece of extruded heatsink rail is very familiar"  H&H?

And, if 'I' was designing a combo (ha!) I would have  lightweight raked pre amp chassis and put the heavy stuff in the base of the cab.

Dave.

Something reminded me of this...

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODM2WDEwMjQ=/z/NNYAAOSwv0tVRL64/$_86.JPG

It's a 'Boxer' solid state amp. I worked on one a couple of years ago, and another (or possibly the same one) about twenty five years ago as well. The cabinet shaping is very similar, and from what I remember it's the same as this one round the back too. The font, the style of the boxes round the controls and the unusual white-ring jack are also the same.

I don’t remember what company actually made it, but it was definitely from the UK and from the very late 70s or very early 80s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27445
    The controls on that, the logo and the design on that @ICBM are identical to my ohm.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.

• Mystery solved.

Made by Leech (Salford).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Mystery solved.

Made by Leech (Salford).

Leech? 

Those amps suck. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How far back into your shed did you have to go before you found that?

:)

• gordijigordiji Frets: 783

Mystery solved.

Made by Leech (Salford).

Leech? 

Those amps suck. 
    lol awarded
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I always wondered how they were spelled. I've a 4*12 cab of theirs that I've been meaning to put up for sale for the best part of a year.
  • JopoleJopole Frets: 3
    Guilty as charged. Made by Nick Davis at Tractronics part of the Group, branded Leech, the electronics division became Ohm. Sadly Leech closed a few years ago. Ohm continue to produce in the UK and still OEM for several well known worldwide brands in their UK, Chinese and Polish factories. Electronics were all designed by Roland Lumby who runs The Amp Clinic in Manchester and is somewhat of a Guru repairing customers Amplifiers from as far afield as Japan, USA. A Great designer always putting engineering above marketing. The Amplifiers were made under several brands including Hohner, Stramp, Bell, Boxer, Hobo. Cabinetry customers included Yamaha, Hohner, Carlsbro, HH Electronics, Martin Audio, Celestion, ATC, Mission, Chris Systems. Currently still manufacturing for many well known brands all over the world.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom