Marilyn Manson Live Manchester 4th Dec

What's Hot
SnapSnap Frets: 6264
Went last night. Not seen him live before. Played a sold out Manc Apollo. Brilliant venue.

Verdict - it was alright, not brilliant though. I am a big fan, have been from the beginning, but never managed to get to a show, so it was a big deal for me.

It was all a bit rough and ready tbh. Sound wasn't brilliant, vocals too low in the mix when the music really cranked up. Bottom end though and guitars were superb, huge. good players, and they sort of did what they wanted, but the show got steadily more loose and freeform as they went in. One track, Killing Strangers, ended up being a jam which got a bit boring tbh.

It was a bit theatrical, with Manson entering the stage on a robotic throne like wheelchair, right leg in a brace. Throughout the show he was "attended" by two blokes dressed up in surgical scrubs who then put a peg leg on him, with his broken leg cocked back, so he could strut about. It hampoered his performance a bit, but he was pretty good. Lots of theatrics, but still quite low key.

Voice is pretty good, but as I said, it was often too low in the mix and you couldn't hear it.

They played a fair bit off the new album, and the previous. Also did Sweet Dreams, TOurniquet, Dope Show, This is the New Shit, Mobscene (v good), and closed with THe Beautiful People.

I'd go again, but wouldn't pay the reseller price I eneded up paying (£80). Probably worth face value, £38.

7/10 I reckon.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’ve seen them/him a few times in Manchester, including first ever uk show (97?) in the smallest academy room to about 5 years ago. You know what you’re getting with Brian, great threatrical show, just a shame the full stage rigs never make it over with these kind of acts 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Awesome. Been a fan since the ACSS days, but never seen him in concert (heard fairly mixed reviews to be honest). Very impressed with the last couple of albums though.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Was Alderete still on bass?

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    edited December 2017
    The bassist wasn't Twiggy Ramirez (sacked recently), but was a little fella who was good.

My overriding thought when it finished was that it was good, but not good enough.

I've seen 4 bands in close succession recently - Manson, QOTSA, Royal Blood and Gary Numan. I'd put MM fourth in that list tbh, as the show was neither as well done, or as long. He didn't come on til about 9:30 and was off before 11. OUt of them all it was the worst sound, but the best venue. I suppose this rating is reflecting the high standards of bands really, its unusual to see a bad performance in my experience.

At The Drive In were supporting Royal Blookd, however, and they were terrible, really bad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

I've seen him a number of times.

The first was the Holywood tour - which is the one there is a DVD of. That was spectacular - the band were really tight, his voice was on form (hell it was John 5 on guitar) and the whole big stage show was pure theatre. They even had disturbed supporting who were awesome.

Since then it's been going steadily downhill I'm afraid to say. Voice has got worse and the show a pale comparison to the glory days 15+ years ago.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Saw him at Download back in 2003ish He was on before Maiden. I wasn't a fan of him, but the show really impressed me. Voice and playing was great, was festival so no huge stage set up. Not sure i'd go see him again unless right on my doorstep.