I've been bad...NAD & NPD

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
edited December 2017 in Amps
I've been a good boy this year and I have been allowed to naughtily plunder some of our savings money to add to cash from amp & pedal sales buy some pre-Christmas goodies:

Mesa Express 5/25+
Line 6 Helix

The Mesa amp delivery has been a bit of a nightmare with Bax Music but is all sorted now, arrived today, a week late. Gone back to Helix after stomp boxes as I missed having something I could plug headphones into for quiet playing.

Had a hour with the Mesa and it sounds good. Got the Blues channel giving a nice thick pushed clean just breaking up sound with the Strat, sounds like a clean Fender with a good drive pedal in front but there is no pedal needed! Very good. Helix will be used for FX only with the Mesa and full amp modelling when played direct to computer.

Plenty of tone options in this rig I would say and I fancy exploring some more ambient type tones and music than I normally play. I'm very lucky and might have to make Mrs Flagg a stew to say thank you.

2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    Wow, great pairing. I hear the eq is really effective on changing tones on that mesa. You are a lucky boy. I think you should make mrs Flagg a stew and jam roly poly for dessert too. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • The manufacturer of those fiddly little mini toggles must worship at the altar of Randall Smith....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    I've had a 5:25+ and it was brilliant.

Still have a Helix and it's brilliant.

Good choices. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just had the American Vintage 52 reissue Tele plugged into the clean channel and it does a really good Princeton-sh clean, loud as well. Really fast punchy attack. Needed to reel in the highs a bit as the volume went up and the tone controls are really dynamic with each other as expected for a Mesa/Boogie, not like any other amp really, forget where the controls are set and use your ears.

Being able to do the Princeton thing is very impressive.

• Great amps! it would be my choice as well if needed another one
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I’m confused just looking at it but I heard a mates band last week and the guitarist was using one - it sounded mega. 

Good haul! 
  • rico said:
    I’m confused just looking at it but I heard a mates band last week and the guitarist was using one - it sounded mega. 

Good haul! 
    I know, it looks more complicated than it is, as there are 2 of just about all controls, 1 set for each channel.

• Good match mate.

I love the 5:25 plus, and the pairing with the Helix should be mega. 

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    edited December 2017
    The only minor annoyance is that I like to use right angle jacks into the amp input but the input jack is recessed and the amp housing that protudes adjacent to the input and the grille curvature means I cannot get one in so I have to use a straight jack. 

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Great amp. I have the head version but have been considering the combo for convenience.  Despite trying a load of boutique combos, I didn't find anything that I liked as much as the Mesa. It is so flexible and sounds great. Enjoy!
  • Les Paul into Burn channel...ferocious little  beast

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Les Paul into Burn channel...ferocious little  beast
    Fancy doing some sound clips?
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Very nice!
  • nice. The Mesa is a great amp.
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    Good choice on the Express! I've had mine for a couple of years now and it's the perfect allrounder IMO. Sounds great in most situations, it's small and very portable but still manages to sound big. The 4 voicing possibilities, the footswitch arrangement and the independant boost & the EQ let you leave the pedalboard at home...I did swap out the factory V30 for a WGS ET65  for a slightly smoother and less strident overall sound though.
  • The Express + 5:25 is definitely on my dream amp list, so happy NAD. 
  • Lovely! Never played a mesa but they sounds like they'd be right up my street.
  • So.....no more chasing tone then that's it!   ;)
    Very nice choices, the Mesa is a great amp.  Now you can find all those lovely noises in your new box of tricks.  Congrats.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • So.....no more chasing tone then that's it!   ;)
    Very nice choices, the Mesa is a great amp.  Now you can find all those lovely noises in your new box of tricks.  Congrats.
    I hope so Dave, I hope so...

• gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Did you try the V 25 before buying the express ?