Bright sounding Strat- any ideas? Or does it depend on the other gear I use with it?

What's Hot
Jacko.02Jacko.02 Frets: 0
edited December 2017 in Guitar
Hi there,

I'm looking for a Strat with a really nice bright sounding tone, similar to Adam Hann's Of The 1975. I've been looking at the Deluxe Roadhouse Strat because of it's tonal versatility with the 6 position preamp switch. Anyone got any ideas? Or can I get a sparkly sounding tone from any strat, it just depends on the kind of other gear I use with it? Open to other ideas about this. Not really wanting to spend any more than £800.

Cheers
Rory
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7015
    tFB Trader
    Get a low capacitance guitar cable, you'll be amazed how bright your guitar is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14195
    tFB Trader
    find a used AM Strat Deluxe with the noiseless pick-ups - not everyone's favourite but they are bright and crisp - might just sneak one in for around £800
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    The amp you use can have a big bearing on this.  I have a couple of Strats and they sound different though the same amp.  I prefer one with a Tweed and the other through more of a silver face type amp.  For me it’s about finding the right balance in the brightness - I generally consider Strats as sounding “bright”.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Another thought I have is that my Diamond compressor can make a Strat sound brighter/more sparkly. Again, that’s not so necessary through the silver/blackface...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Low output pickups generally have more sparkle than higher ones, but lack of brightness is the opposite of my Strat problems 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Bridge pickup and tone all the way up = brightness.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72261
    Sassafras said:
    Bridge pickup and tone all the way up = brightness.
    Or get a vintage-spec one with no tone control on the bridge pickup.

If that's not bright enough you need your ears cleaned, not a brighter guitar :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Or stop playing it through an amp covered by a duvet?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886
    try using an AC30, or DC30, and you'll be laughing at this question

what amp are you using that doesn't sound bright enough with a strat?
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    try using an AC30, or DC30, and you'll be laughing at this question

what amp are you using that doesn't sound bright enough with a strat?
    I think the OP is looking for recommendations as to what strat to acquire. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    The far eastern guitars with ceramic pickups can sound thin and scratchy or bright depending on your POV. But any decent amp will give the guitar room to breath. If you want to poke it brighter then some kind of Aural exciter (Aphex maybe) possibly followed by a some compression to take the nastyness out of it. But as others have alluded to, the right amp makes all the difference.

• Look for an ash rather than alder bodied strat, and maple rather than rosewood board.  That the brightest combo.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers everyone for your advice. I shall me mulling over this for the next few weeks!

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited December 2017
    Swapping out the standard spec 250k pots in a Strat for 500k pots will give you more top end. @ESBlonde mentions "far eastern guitars with ceramic pickups can sound thin and scratchy or bright depending on your POV". This has a bit to do with a lot of them being fitted with 500k pots.
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    The ceramic magnetic assembly in Strat pickups makes them warmer than they would be than alnico rods.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Alegree said:
    The ceramic magnetic assembly in Strat pickups makes them warmer than they would be than alnico rods.
    Yeah, that's what I've found when I replaced some ceramics in a Squier with alnicos. Must be the 500k pots in cheapo guitars that add the top end.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Get a low capacitance guitar cable, you'll be amazed how bright your guitar is.
    Or a Line 6 G10 or G30 wireless kit.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited December 2017
    Jacko.02 said:
    Hi there,

Or can I get a sparkly sounding tone from any strat, it just depends on the kind of other gear I use with it? 
    This!  

It's definitely more about the amp.

I get gorgeous bright glassy/sparkly cleans with my Strats or Tele through my Laney VC30-210. The same guitars are still good through my Cub12R, Vox Valvetronix, Marshall Valvestate 8080 or DSL401 - but it's the (ahem, I know) 'Class A' VC30 that makes them sound the sparkliest - especially with the bright switch engaged.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    Use 10’s, don’t expect 09’s to sound anything other than “flappy” in comparison. Strats do vary but if you have decent wiring and pots it is the Amp that’s making the sound dull