Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The best tone you've heard in person..

What's Hot

Comments

• I second the case for Paul Gilbert - when I’ve seen him in the past two years. 

Huge part of this is his technique - he actually plays with very little distortion (well, a lot less then you might think). 

Amazing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Sassafras said:
    I went to 3 Captain Beefheart gigs when Bill Harkleroad was playing and they were without a doubt the best sounding gigs I've been to. The volume was perfect as was the arrangement and the overall mix.

Nice!

I saw the Magic Band in London a few years ago - I think it may have been at the Astoria before Crossrail killed it - and the guitar sounds were amazing.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5412
    Alan Sparhawk of Low consistently sounds ridiculously good. His rig changes all the time too yet he always sounds just like himself. 
    David Gilmour obvs too...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    Can I say mine? I have finally found that I can get tone I really like with my gear and am not really looking for anything more. I still like/hanker after more guitars and amps just as much, but what I have really earns its keep.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited December 2017
    Steve Albini seen numerous times using his Travis Bean into his home constructed metal box amp and cab, brutal tone.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4257
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse a few years back in Glasgow. Perfectly controlled mayhem.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited December 2017
     Being close to the front at a Jethro Tull gig at Hanley Town hall hearing Martin Barre with a Les Paul Junior (no idea what the amp was).

Paul Kossoff, which was also at Hanley Town Hall.

Standing right in front of Alan Murphy at the Cricketers pub (near the Oval).

More recently Robben Ford springs to mind.

It's not a competition.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Best guitar tone heard in person. (At a gig): The Who in The Refectory, Leeds University.

Best guitar tone heard in person. (Anywhere). The pick of the guitars (probably 3 or 4) found during trips searching for vintage guitars. All were 1950s Gibson Les Pauls.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In all honesty, I have no idea. I don't think I've ever stood at a gig and gone wow, that tone is amazing. the bad ones for sure stick out, like last week watching trampoline who were so loud it hurt.

I don't think I've ever been to a rock gig quiet enough to not be wearing earplugs.  So in truth, I don't think I've properly heard any tone from about age 15 or 16 onwards.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I like strattyness. My fave off the top of my head was Thomas Blug at a guitar show doing demo's for H&K amps. First time I heard him, fell in love with the tones and his playing.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Joe Bonamassa.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    The man with that touch, I saw Dire straights on thier making movies tour. Mark just gets that personal tone that is like he's speaking to you. Few can do that and he's the only famous one I've seen in the flesh.
  • Would love to own a benjamin guitar!

RandallFlagg said:

Eric Roche playing "With These Hands" on his Nick Benjamin OM model, sat on the floor cross legged, at Sleaford Playhouse in front of what must have been less than 100 people.

The best live acoustic sound I've heard

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Me, at home. Modded Bandmaster Reverb (1x15 combo) with home-made Vibratone extension speaker. Sounded unbelievably good, didn't it @Panama_Jack666 ?

R.
  • Gary Moore, Cardiff, 2009. Huge, huge Les Paul tone.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Randy Rhoads with Ozzy, 1980 at Sheffield city hall.

Like a crazy loud multi-tracked violin.
    Took my breath away.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • this bloke at a pub with an old marshall and a strat on 10. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Elwood said:
    Kirk Hammet - Gibson Les Paul '59 through an Axe FX playing Nothing Else Matters
    Is that what they use for live shows or were you hanging about with him?
  • Tino Troy Praying Mantis John Bull Pub Chiswick circa 2006.  Even better than Tino Troy  Brangwyn Hall Swansea 1980 - and Dennis Stratton was playing for Maiden
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom