Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The best tone you've heard in person..

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Brian May - Kind of Magic Tour, Wembley. Had a massive effect on me as a youngster - huge, just f*ckin huge sounding and just perfect choice of frequencies to fit the rest of the band's sound.

Gilmour - RAH (both times, On an Island & Rattle that Lock), although seeing/hearing "the Workmate" last time out was a bit special, if I'm honest.

Bernard Butler - small club in London, I want to say the Marquee but a friend who was with me says it wasn't. Either way... Suede's first gig in London, supporting christ-knows-who (utterly forgettable whoever they were) just Bernie, an AC30, a Boss Turbo Distortion, a Flanger (maybe Boss) and his *original* 355 (the one that got nicked), and the Les Paul. Blew my mind at the time. So much so, I quit the band I was in the following day, bought an AC30 the following week and formed a different band.

Wilko Johnson - small pub/club in North Finchley late 80s/early 90s - just him, a Tele and an HH amp. HUGE. Brilliant.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    edited December 2017
    I heard it last week when I saw JW Jones. Lovely pure sound with no trickery i.e. amp and guitar just how it should be 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Strat54 said:
    In all honesty, I have no idea. I don't think I've ever stood at a gig and gone wow, that tone is amazing. the bad ones for sure stick out, like last week watching trampoline who were so loud it hurt.

I don't think I've ever been to a rock gig quiet enough to not be wearing earplugs.  So in truth, I don't think I've properly heard any tone from about age 15 or 16 onwards.
    I don't get earplugs at gigs, its not like gigs are that loud anymore. What are you preserving your hearing for? Old age? Great.....don't bother...you might not get there, and if you do it won't be that great! :) Like putting seat covers on a car to save the seats for the next owner...whats the point....enjoy the now, you are missing out on life otherwise. 
    As someone who's gigging life has been cut short by brutal tinnitus, this is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. PROTECT YOUR EARS. Seriously - 24/7 loud tinnitus is no joke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Skipped said:
    I think that is 3 mentions for Matt Schofield in the thread.

I have not seen him live but the trio live album gives a strong hint that you are not wrong.
    here's another but only for his support: Henrik Freischlader at Under The Bridge (he supported Mr Schofield there in July this year). Herr Freischlader was playing a Lester and he had the tone to die for :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Exorcist said:
    Strat54 said:
    In all honesty, I have no idea. I don't think I've ever stood at a gig and gone wow, that tone is amazing. the bad ones for sure stick out, like last week watching trampoline who were so loud it hurt.

I don't think I've ever been to a rock gig quiet enough to not be wearing earplugs.  So in truth, I don't think I've properly heard any tone from about age 15 or 16 onwards.
    I don't get earplugs at gigs, its not like gigs are that loud anymore. What are you preserving your hearing for? Old age? Great.....don't bother...you might not get there, and if you do it won't be that great! :) Like putting seat covers on a car to save the seats for the next owner...whats the point....enjoy the now, you are missing out on life otherwise. 
    As someone who's gigging life has been cut short by brutal tinnitus, this is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. PROTECT YOUR EARS. Seriously - 24/7 loud tinnitus is no joke.
    AMEN!

My tinnitus is fairly minor compared to some. A great friend that I grew up with who was one of the best drummers I've ever had the pleasure of playing with can't play any more because of this. He struggles in cafes & pubs to hear you speak from the other side of a table because the background noise couples to the tinnitus - he describes it as like being locked out of life. Its soul destroying and for someone who is a musician, not to be able to make music, it's lead to massive depression - we've really had to help him through a very bad patch that thankfully he looks to be on the other side of. All because he refused to wear earplugs... he was warned 10 years ago but ignored it.

Frankly, approaching 50 as I am (a couple of years off but still) I want to be able to speak to my son (who's five right now) and hear what he says as a young adult. I also want to still be making music. So yes, I do want to be able to hear into my old age - and no, I might not get there but I'm aiming to. Enjoy the now, yes completely agree - but don't destroy things doing so.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark Nopfler, Royal Albert hall soundcheck in 2012, through a couple of what he later told me were Rheinharts. Brothers in arms never sounded so damn nice.
  • Strat - Buddy Whittington.  A Lentz necked strat into a Dr Z Max Snr.  Matt Schofield close second

Tele sounds - Brad Paisley - Many different guitars and amps, but primarily the blue Crook esquire into a Dr Z.

Les Paul - probably Joe Bonamassa at a small club in Blackpool.  Multiple Marshalls blended.  Aynsley Lister at another small club in Blackpool comes close.

335 - Jools Holland's big band guitarist.  Tasteful playing and nice woody sounds too.

Also, plus 1 on the earplugs.  Been going to gigs since 14 and gigging since I was 16 and noticed a reduction in my hearing during my mid 20's.  Decided I wanted to keep playing as long as possible so bought some earplus.  Have a set in every guitar case, one in the car and another that I keep in my jacket.  Best thing I've done.

Always take a set to gigs I'm going to watch.  They get used at most metal gigs but I'll always have a listen during the first song to gauge the levels.  If I feel my ears getting a bit tired, they go in. 

When I was young and playing in a grunge band (early 90's), we played with a up and coming band who's name I can't remember, think they had a mildly successful song that charted - anyway, the guy was playing a Tele through a wound up AC30 and it just blew me away.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Peter Buck with REM Hammersmith Palais, in 2nd row right in front of his Mesa Boogie powered by a Mapleglo Rickenbacker 340, same set up and time as this 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888

335 - Jools Holland's big band guitarist.  Tasteful playing and nice woody sounds too.

Mark Flanagan. 1959 335 too. Incredible player.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's was pretty cool but more recently, Warren Haynes on the current tour was a high point in live tone for me!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Best I've heard: Paul Gilbert. He was going into two amps, a GH50 and an LC50 or VC50 (can't remember which, but it was a multi channel beast).

He used the combo for cleans and hair, and the GH50 set to rock. Sounded incredible, super dynamic, not huge amounts of gain but clarity and sustain. 

Also, when I saw periphery - holy crap that bass tone. 
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Gary Moore Manchester Apollo, still got the blues tour, LOUD but just excellent!
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    edited December 2017

I've never worn earplugs, I started off going to gigs when I was 12 in 1980....PA's were huge then and bands were loud, the kind of loud where your ears were still ringing two days later. Did that whole heavy metal thing, Motorhead were one of the first bands I saw, by the early 90's it was Thrash, then Grunge. From the late 80's till about 2010 I was going to four gigs a week on average, always stood down the front. No one wore earplugs, it wasn't a consideration. back then. Didn't really notice it till about three years ago, went to a gig at Manchester Uni, suddenly realised I was surrounded by the iphone generation wearing plugs...wtf, It wasn't even loud...Gary Clark Jr. Everyone is so sensible these days.So I'm approaching 50 now, not deaf and not noticing a drop in hearing......you've dropped a fiver  
    @Exorcist loud music doesn't necessarily give you tinnitus....my mother suffered from that for many years until her death, she'd never been to a gig in her entire life nor worked in a loud environment. 

@CountryDave looks like we both went to that Bonamassa Blackpool gig in that tiny room.

@Jez6345789 Went to Larry Carlton at the Jazz Cafe with the Sapphire Blues Band too , and Derek Trucks first solo gig in London where I stood next a stoned Justin Lee Collins. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Strat54 said:

I've never worn earplugs, I started off going to gigs when I was 12 in 1980....PA's were huge then and bands were loud, the kind of loud where your ears were still ringing two days later. Did that whole heavy metal thing, Motorhead were one of the first bands I saw, by the early 90's it was Thrash, then Grunge. From the late 80's till about 2010 I was going to four gigs a week on average, always stood down the front. No one wore earplugs, it wasn't a consideration. back then. Didn't really notice it till about three years ago, went to a gig at Manchester Uni, suddenly realised I was surrounded by the iphone generation wearing plugs...wtf, It wasn't even loud...Gary Clark Jr. Everyone is so sensible these days.So I'm approaching 50 now, not deaf and not noticing a drop in hearing......you've dropped a fiver  
    @Exorcist loud music doesn't necessarily give you tinnitus....my mother suffered from that for many years until her death, she'd never been to a gig in her entire life nor worked in a loud environment. 

I think your missing the point, I abused my ears in metal bands for a long time, but did wear earplugs for the later years, and I'm not even sure that was the cause of mine - however, I know enough people from tinnitus support groups that definitely DID get there life changing tinnitus from loud noise exposure. Its just not worth the risk and is completely irresponsible to tell people not to protect their ears. Deafness is one thing, but tinnitus is another. And the deafer you get as time ticks on, the louder the tinnitus gets. Suicide rates for severe tinnitus sufferers are sky high and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. There are plenty of cheap ER20 type earplugs that let you hear the full spectrum of frequencies but without the possible damage. Its a no brainer - its like telling people to man up and not wear their respirators, or not to wear a cycle helmet cos it looks daft.. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    "Hey guys I've been going to loud gigs for decades and you know what? they're not sounding as loud as they used to these days! It must be the PAs, couldn't be my ears getting fucked by the march of time plus noise exposure!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Opeth, Joanne Shaw Taylor and Dan Patlansky.

Seen some massive guitarists at hundreds of gigs, but nothing beats these three, genuinely.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Knopfler.....On Every Street
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Exorcist said:
    There are plenty of cheap ER20 type earplugs that let you hear the full spectrum of frequencies but without the possible damage. Its a no brainer - its like telling people to man up and not wear their respirators, or not to wear a cycle helmet cos it looks daft.. 

I don't go to many gigs nowadays anyway, but the thing about earplugs is that they actually make the sound better rather than just a big jumble of noise which tires your ears out.

Hardly the same thing, but I've just got back from a work Christmas party where the music was way too loud - and yes, it may not have looked cool, but I found that sticking my fingers in my ears reduced the bass rumble and screechy treble sufficiently that not only could I decipher what songs the DJ was playing, I could actually hear what people  around me were saying.  Music doesn't need to be that loud.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Elwood said:
    Kirk Hammet - Gibson Les Paul '59 through an Axe FX playing Nothing Else Matters

If we were at the same show the other month we have very different ears :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom