Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your Neil Young Recommendations

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    GavRichList said:

Meant the electric solo!
    I thought you might have afterwards, in which case I edited the post above :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My fave album is on the beach. 
    I would go fetch it before the tide comes in

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    GavRichList said:

Meant the electric solo!
    I thought you might have afterwards, in which case I edited the post above :).
    Oh really? Well bugger me. 
  • Samgb said:
    I would like to add a recommend for Time Fades Away. From the On The Beach/Tonights the Night era.
    Live album. Of new songs. That's balls for you.

Nice and cheap on vinyl

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/160741-neil-young-time-fades-away?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwPeMj7j71wIVybftCh3hqg09EAQYBCABEgLmvfD_BwE
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Start with Buffalo Springfield =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Harvest - shows his songwriting abilities and his acoustic prowess

Later stuff - shows his limitations on electric
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    ^ this is true. 

Harvest is my favourite though. Words Between The Lines Of Age contains my favourite Gibson (I assume) guitar tone I’ve ever heard. 
    My favourite guitar sound. Brilliant final track from one of his best albums. His songwriting has never been better imo.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    edited December 2017
    Weld, Live Rust and Zuma for crunching, chewy guitar mayhem. But I'll listen to anything old Shakey's done and get down.

My mum was a massive Neil Young fan. She always listened to that 'Decade' album which was chock full of killer tracks and Harvest. 

I was always put off by the more country/folk side of things as a 'yoof', having an almost physical dislike to any kind of pedal steel  and a natural fear of the harmonica outside a blues context. 

Now I can't get enough. Jumpers for goalposts, eh?

EDIT - Can't believe I forgot 'Psychedelic Pill'. I love 'Walk Like A Giant' so much, the haunting whistled melody on top of the fuzzed out mayhem is so cool. When he plays with Crazy Horse and you have the sweet harmonies sitting on top of the dirty mayhem it is joyful!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    mburekenge said:

EDIT - Can't believe I forgot 'Psychedelic Pill'. I love 'Walk Like A Giant' so much, the haunting whistled melody on top of the fuzzed out mayhem is so cool. When he plays with Crazy Horse and you have the sweet harmonies sitting on top of the dirty mayhem it is joyful!
    It's Ramada Inn that's the standout track for me - one of the greatest songs he's ever written in my opinion. It's all good though, there isn't a duff track on it.

I do generally prefer him with Crazy Horse too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    mburekenge said:

It's Ramada Inn that's the standout track for me - one of the greatest songs he's ever written in my opinion. It's all good though, there isn't a duff track on it.

I do generally prefer him with Crazy Horse too.
    Listening to it now. Killer track!
  • Zuma.
    On the Beach.
    After the Goldrush
    Harvest.
    Harvest Moon.
    Tonight's the Night.
    Unplugged.
  • The only Neil Young album I can heartily recommend is Harvest. All the others contain questionable musical ability. If one of these is on your turntable / in your CD player the best recommendation I can make is to put something else on.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Weld, one of the very best live double albums ever. The version of Cortez The Killer is the best I've heard, The Les Paul into the Deluxe is captured really well, very fat and warm.
    If I could award 1000 wiz's I would.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• The only Neil Young album I can heartily recommend is Harvest. All the others contain questionable musical ability. If one of these is on your turntable / in your CD player the best recommendation I can make is to put something else on.
    Yeah, because the *only* important thing about music is musicianship.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • the *only* important thing about music is musicianship.
    It is certainly a high priority, unless you swallowed the punk lie
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    Weld, one of the very best live double albums ever. The version of Cortez The Killer is the best I've heard, The Les Paul into the Deluxe is captured really well, very fat and warm.
    If I could award 1000 wiz's I would.

A good root round some vinyl shops is in order I think. Going to cost a fortune but there's worse things to do with money.

Got Weld ordered on CD. Love the heavier sound he/they cultivated that probably explains the pictures of Neil with Sonic Youth I vaguely remember way back when.
  • the *only* important thing about music is musicianship.
    It is certainly a high priority, unless you swallowed the punk lie
    Utter, utter bullshit.
    Jesus, I don't even know where to start with that!
    Sometimes I think that musicians are the worst people to judge music.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • @lasermonkey, sorry mate, the only thing you can express without musicianship is ... INCOMPETENCE!

you certainly seem to have lapped up the drivel that the NME was peddling all those years ago!
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    @lasermonkey, sorry mate, the only thing you can express without musicianship is ... INCOMPETENCE!

You can't just automatically apply what is true about you to everybody else
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @horse it's true about everybody!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom