Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bands you tried to get into...and failed...

What's Hot
Radiohead.
I bought the albums... some of them. I even enjoyed a performance on Jools Holland years back where they were whacking floor toms and sounding really quite impressive. They haven't moved me since.

Every other person seems to think I like them or worse still, should. Too studied and arty for me. 

Who has failed to move you musically despite making the effort to like them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Smiths
    Phish
    Metallica
    The Grateful dead
    Muse (now I fucking hate them)
    Bjork

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2017
    It was almost Joy Division, but I finally saw the light after the 3rd attempt.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    The Allman Brothers Band
    The Black Crowes
    Mastodon

I don't dislike any of those bands, I own a lot of their albums (and keep buying them), I enjoy individual songs and bits of songs... but I can never quite totally get them.
  • The Smiths
    Phish
    Metallica
    The Grateful dead
    Muse (now I fucking hate them)
    Bjork

Muse. Even their mic stands are annoying. 

Metallica. Ride the Lightning blew my teenage mind. Master of Puppets was a big influence for me also. They went downhill Justice onwards.

Smiths. As I get older I like them less. I had a breakdown many years ago and I swear they played a big role in pulling me through that. I just don't know what happened to the man who wrote the poetry because he isn't the man we refer to as Morrissey.
  • Freebird said:
    It was almost Joy Division, but I finally saw the light after the 3rd attempt.
    They're worth the effort. Love some of Sumner's riffs. Don't get me started on New Order though.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Mastodon. Their style is something I usually like but I just don’t get along with their sound. Even went to see them live last week to see if it would change my mind. It didn’t!
  • Kasabian -the early stuff was fine as driving music but they still sound like a second rate pub band when playing live.

The strokes -why would you put something out that sounded sooo shit as your first album? (Then I saw them live and they were wicked, cementing my feelings about their early recorded output).
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    John Grant.

Despite countless wonderful reviews and having seen him live twice, he still sounds like a shit version of Elton John to me. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Fuengi said:
    John Grant.

Despite countless wonderful reviews and having seen him live twice, he still sounds like a shit version of Elton John to me. 

I've never heard of him.
  • Dream Theatre. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Radiohead
    Nirvana
    Pearl Jam
    Incubus
    Pendulum

And most of Led Zeppelin...

Sorry!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Rush
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    I get howls of protest whenever I mention this (being a dyed in the homespun wool folky), but John Martyn. I mean, I can appreciate his genius, and his ability to push boundries, but the music itself just does nothing for me.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • "Like" or "do not like". There is no "try". 

(I'm saying this to myself in a funny voice....)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t think I’ve tried to get into a band since I was about 17 . However, at the time I wanted to like Judas Priest. Very much my metal period, a band with local origins, my sister knew Ian Hill a bit ( and I live a couple of miles from Glenn Tipton these days) and the rock kids at school with long hair and leather jackets who I aspired to be like we’re into them. 
    Never really liked anything by them, just about okay with the singles. Ear grating. 

not_the_dj said:
    Dream Theatre. 
    I haven’t made the effort but what I found odd about DT is how people describe them and when I hear them they don’t seem to sound like the descriptions. Just too modern metal for me, whatever clever stuff is going on I can’t get to because I don’t like the sound. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    VimFuego said:
    I get howls of protest whenever I mention this (being a dyed in the homespun wool folky), but John Martyn. I mean, I can appreciate his genius, and his ability to push boundries, but the music itself just does nothing for me.
    Nor me. I can't stand his singing either.

(I know richardhomer will strongly disagree ;).)

I'll add Van Morrison, for both of the same reasons.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981

ICBM said:
    Radiohead
    Nirvana
    Pearl Jam
    Incubus
    Pendulum

And most of Led Zeppelin...

Sorry!
    Fair dues, wouldn't have expected to see some of those bands in this thread as I think of them as quiet accessible. I can see how aspects of Vedder and Plants singing styles can be annoying though.

Steve Vai, appreciate he's an incredible guitarist but I couldn't listen to a whole album of his unlike Satch!
    eSully said:

I can see how aspects of Vedder and Plants singing styles can be annoying though.
    It's not just that - although their voices are part of it - it's that I don't really like most of the music either. I know that's heresy with Zeppelin!

eSully said:

Steve Vai, appreciate he's an incredible guitarist but I couldn't listen to a whole album of his unlike Satch!
    I'm a bit of a late convert to Vai, but I still find a whole album at one go a bit of a struggle. I never really got Satriani - I saw him live... the first third was great, the second third was just more of the same, and the last third bored me to tears.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    God the amount of money I've wasted on this over the years, thank God for Spotify these days!

My worst habit was getting into an album for a band, then collecting all their albums OR loving a bands debut and keeping buying them OR hearing one song thinking "this is the kind of thing I like" and buying it because there was nothing else around.  I paid good money for albums by Pigeon Detectives, The Enemy, The Ordinary Boys... oh AND buying albums without hearing anything off them based on good reviews...

No wonder when I cleared out my CD collection it was no issue to get rid of most of my 2000 odd CDs!!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Foo Fighters. Loads of my mates love them, yet when I listen to them they sound like a tuneless mid paced barre chord dirge. I have tried about three times to get into them but they get worse every listen.

I honestly think they could be my least favourite band ever after Kiss. Fortunately no one I know likes Kiss either.