Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bands you tried to get into...and failed...

What's Hot

Comments

• Bob Dylan but to be fair it was a notoriously poor album with a song about making a cuppa tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Tool.

They're not rubbish, but they don't quite do it for me.

I like a lot of the rip-offs though.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    impmann said:
    • Post-Fish Marrillion - I love the guitar work but the poetry was gone and live there just wasn't the fire/passion. I was heartbroken when Fish left... genuinely.

Right on the money. I feel your pain
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Sporky said:
    Tool.

They're not rubbish, but they don't quite do it for me.
    Same here. I’ve had a copy of Lateralus twice, and a couple of the other albums, but I don’t now.

Queens Of The Stone Age similarly - although I like most of Songs For The Deaf, and I still have that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• VimFuego said:
    John Martyn. I mean, I can appreciate his genius, and his ability to push boundries, but the music itself just does nothing for me.
    ^ This ^ (wis, btw)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Eric Clapton solo stuff after Layla.

I loved the work he did for John Mayall, I loved the Cream live stuff, I bought the Blind Faith LP with the dodgy cover but listened to it only a couple of times, I played Layla a lot when I was younger but never touch it now, and loyally bought most of the subsequent solo albums trying to like them but usually playing them just once or twice.

But I have taught the juke box in our local to search for  such gems as Steppin' Out, Hideaway, key To Love etc - and get it to play them regularly :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • impmann said:
    • The Eagles - "Everybody loves the Eagles". I don't. Boring... so middle of the road they have Cats Eyes fitted. Cod country with a hint of cocaine creativity
    I can't stand them either
  • Smashing Pumpkins. On paper a fantastic band spoiled by a singer with an unlistenable voice. 
    I don't mind Corgan's voice (he has turned up on right-wing shock jock radio espousing dodgy views, which lowers him in my eyes) but I can see how it could be annoying. Unique to some and uniquely annoying to others.

• cpcompany said:
    Foo Fighters. Loads of my mates love them, yet when I listen to them they sound like a tuneless mid paced barre chord dirge. I have tried about three times to get into them but they get worse every listen.

I honestly think they could be my least favourite band ever after Kiss. Fortunately no one I know likes Kiss either.
    Grohl was in Nirvana though  ;)

They're seriously fucking awful to my ears. Every song sounds the same.

Only good thing I can say about Grohl is he's a big Voivod fan (Voivod fans don't want to hear that). Pity it doesn't show in the music.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    camoflamingo said:

Yes, but Grohl was the *drummer* in Nirvana, which is something he's good at. And I still can't get into Nirvana - I appreciate why they were so important, and I understand why so many people were inspired by them, but I just don't really like them to listen to. I don't like the Foo Fighters at all either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• NeillNeill Frets: 941
    I wouldn't disagree with any of the bands/artists mentioned so far, I am surprised the Beatles and Bob Dylan haven't got a mention yet though...

Van Morrison is certainly one that foxes me entirely.  Back in the 70's it was supposedly essential listening but I just don't get it at all.  

When it comes to great guitarists that you are "supposed" to like, Van Halen is the one that springs to mind, I know he is a sort of Godfather in the context of modern guitar but that stuff just leaves me cold. 

And, I can safely say it now but BITD admitting to not liking The Clash would have been a hanging offence. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Smashing Pumpkins. On paper a fantastic band spoiled by a singer with an unlistenable voice. 
    I don't mind Corgan's voice (he has turned up on right-wing shock jock radio espousing dodgy views, which lowers him in my eyes) but I can see how it could be annoying. Unique to some and uniquely annoying to others.

I don't mind him at all on the first two albums - which are great - but as his songwriting's "matured" he seems to have written more and more whiny, repetitive dirges which highlight the irritating qualities of his voice... 
    A couple of bands, very influential in their field, who I feel like I "should" like... but I just can't get into them:

Electric Wizard
    Pentagram
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Philly_Q said:
    A couple of bands, very influential in their field, who I feel like I "should" like... but I just can't get into them:

Electric Wizard
    Pentagram
    Bloody noobs ;)
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:

Electric Wizard
    Pentagram
    Bloody noobs ;)
    @Reverend I hesitated to make that post because I knew you'd have something to say.... ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    Led Zeppelin , Pink Floyd , Rush and Deep Purple (with Ian Gillan), Guns N Roses.
      It's just down to the vocals mostly , i find them all painfull to listen to  .   Pink Floyd , i think David Gilmore is a wonderfull player but their sound is just to perfect - almost pompous,  if that makes sense . 
       And yet i love Budgie even with the high vocals and Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale are Deep Purple for me .

• Alvin said:
    Led Zeppelin , Pink Floyd , Rush and Deep Purple (with Ian Gillan), Guns N Roses.
      It's just down to the vocals mostly , i find them all painfull to listen to  .   Pink Floyd , i think David Gilmore is a wonderfull player but their sound is just to perfect - almost pompous,  if that makes sense . 
       And yet i love Budgie even with the high vocals and Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale are Deep Purple for me .

Within the normal range for a woman surely?  ;)
  • ICBM said:
    camoflamingo said:

Yes, but Grohl was the *drummer* in Nirvana, which is something he's good at. And I still can't get into Nirvana - I appreciate why they were so important, and I understand why so many people were inspired by them, but I just don't really like them to listen to. I don't like the Foo Fighters at all either.
    Wish Grohl had stuck with drums... another good drummer in the world. Better still... no Poo Shiters
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Manic Street Preachers - appreciate the guitar playing like on Slash n Burn & Motorcycle Emptiness, but apart from that I just can’t get into them & I doubt that I ever will.
  • duotone said:
    Manic Street Preachers - appreciate the guitar playing like on Slash n Burn & Motorcycle Emptiness, but apart from that I just can’t get into them & I doubt that I ever will.
    Much the same for me and I even have a couple of their albums. They kind of remind  me of Stereophonics who are probably even worse.