New Starter Learning tips please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    waspfan said:
    Thanks again everyone for your valued advice
    Guitar arrived and decided to learn one riff first and only move on once I've learnt it to perfection.
    Don't get stuck on the perfection thing, otherwise you'll never progress!
    Learn something until you know how to play it, then keep refining it while you learn something new.

Plus, to break the monotony of just learning one thing, start watching the videos for Justin's beginner course (https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php)
    Use the riff as something extra to do.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks mc that sounds like a great plan
    Must admit watched Justin so much now he feels like a mate 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • waspfan said:
    Thanks again everyone for your valued advice
    Guitar arrived and decided to learn one riff first and only move on once I've learnt it to perfection.

Personally I wouldn't go down that route. Tedium will set in long before perfection is ever attained I imagine! I've been playing on and off for years and don't think I'd ever describe anything I've played as perfect! 

There are probably a hundred different approaches to learning, but above all I would say the key is to make sure you ENJOY it. If you ever get to the point that practice seems like a chore or gets boring, that is when most beginners lose interest. 

My top tip would be that whenever you play/practice, make sure to start and finish with a song/riff/exercise that you know you can play comfortably, and that puts a smile on your face. Save the difficult hard-work bits, where you'll likely be cursing in frustration and having sore fingers, for in between. That way you'll always look forward to picking it up next time, and always finish in a happy place.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Now that really does sound like good advice mate, I can see that way will start and end a session in a positive way leaving you wanting more. Right now I have practised the first few chords of my rid and taken Justin's first lesson on the D chord. Now that's all for today fingers and wrist sore and aching.

I take your point about the perfection thing it's all about setting goals which are achievable which motivates better.

Great advise again
    Blimey I made a great choice joining this forum!
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    Get a tutor , even if you only go for six months it will give you the best start and will put you in the right direction , going weekly also gives you a goal to reach .  There is nothing wrong with learning stuff you might not normally listen to , learning to play other types is an advantage , it's all information .
       If you like general blues then don't be against learning Mary Had A Little Lamb , even SRV did a version....

• Alvin said:
    Get a tutor , even if you only go for six months it will give you the best start and will put you in the right direction , going weekly also gives you a goal to reach .  There is nothing wrong with learning stuff you might not normally listen to , learning to play other types is an advantage , it's all information .
       If you like general blues then don't be against learning Mary Had A Little Lamb , even SRV did a version....

Yep, learning other styles or artists you don't normally like or listen to will make you more open to different rhythms, chords and scales across genres. Before I studied at the institute I was primarily a rock player but I knew if I just did that for 4 years I would never improve.
  • More sound advice thanks guys.
    I consider myself extremely lucky in having a massivly diverse taste in music so guess from what you have said this will help me.

Regarding a tutor......when I was a young teenager I was lucky very very lucky to have an awesome tutor on guitar but at the time I was too young and foolish to realise just how lucky i was  as my tutor was a session guitarist who played on many Deep purple records amongst others....wish I could have that tutor back.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's so many benefits to having a tutor. Not just to show you stuff you didn't know before but their role is much more than that. You get regular feedback on your playing that a YouTube video or book won't give you. They can demonstrate how something is meant to sound or could be played. Again said YT vids or books can't do that. There's structure and motivation with each lessons, something a good tutor should be doing, and you get to jam with another person, which, that has been mentioned already, make you play better.

When I was at the institute I asked myself if I could get as good as someone of the tutors that taught me, or even 1/10th%. They were daily inspiration to me and they all had great aspects to their playing I took things from.
  • By the way I'm not trying to sell lessons as a tutor. Haha.
  • Yes I think I will have to look for a good tutor
  • By the way I'm not trying to sell lessons as a tutor. Haha.
    Haha.....of course mate fully understand.....but what you are doing is being extremely helpful 
    Cheers
  • No worries let us know if you have any more questions 
  • No worries let us know if you have any more questions 
    Thanks mate will do