Zoom r16 as audio interface

I've owned on twice. First time round was just for fun recording some rehearsals etc. This time is for the purpose of tracking drums back to my mates home studio for my new covers band demo then selling it on.   But, at the same time I'm wanting a new audio interface for my own wee home setup.

I've just had a play about with it. It works, I can get 8 ins which amazing (not that I'd need them) but I'm convinced I'm not getting a clean loud sound out of it than I was out my old set up which was using a behringer micro mixer for my pres.

My question is, does anyone use one as their main interface? Are you happy?  Or are the pres poor and that's why I'm hearing what I'm hearing? 

My only reason for purchase was simply to record 8 tracks of drums 'on location' so my plan was always going to sell it on at the same price I bought it for but it *might* be worthwhile keeping and using as my AI if I can get some real life feedback! 

The drivers etc seem to be solid and latency is super low so technically it's ticking the boxes 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I have the R24, and one thing I have read is that there are issues if you use that as an AI - if you are simply running it via USB and wanting that to provide 48v Phantom power to multiple inputs....of course I'm only going off what I read on some Zoom forum. I reckon that's where you're Q's will be best answered over there where there are plenty owners and Zoom nerds.

• I've not got one, but if it is bus powered, try using it in the same scenario but using the PSU also.  Could be that headroom is reduced using bus power.  I'm not sure what the pre's are like but it would be worth doing a quick test on how they sound, with and without the PSU.
  • That's interesting. Never thought about that. I'll definitely give that a go. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2394
    The preamps and the analogue circuitry in general are pretty lacking, as is the metering, but if you're careful with the levels you should be able to get a decent recording. You know that phantom power is only available on two inputs?
  • Stuckfast said:
    The preamps and the analogue circuitry in general are pretty lacking, as is the metering, but if you're careful with the levels you should be able to get a decent recording. You know that phantom power is only available on two inputs?
    The band I want record quite handily has their drums pre-miced in their rehearsal room. So my plan is simply to run the outs from the mixer to the r16. No phantom power required. Then do the rest at my mates home studio. 

More I play with it, I'm convinced the pres are pretty weak, so I'll almost certainly not keep it as my audio interface after I've used it for what I need it for.  

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    I had an R16 - it was fantastic for recording rehearsals and I even used some of its in-the-box compression and mastering to t when I shared them with the guys - pretty neat. 

I did try to hook it up as my audio interface at home too - my problem was the drivers though - they were fucking terrible. Crackles, zipping, latency - ugh. This was way back when, so if that side of it is working for you then they may have sorted that out.

But as a way of capturing 8 ins at once live it was/is a bloody bargain imo - but in terms of sound quality a UAD Apollo it aint. 
    Red ones are better. 
    I also knew someone else who had one who borrowed mine and slaved them - 16 simultaneous tracks recording - bargainsome. 

Red ones are better. 
  • Yep. For my application it's a bargain. They have also held their price over the past few years.

So far I've had poor success as an interface. I'm convinced there's more crackles and pops appearing. I'll just give up with it and sell it on once I get the drums tracked. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    @TimmyO @funkyfraz if you decide to sell, I’m in the market. 
    Sold mine a couple of years ago
    Red ones are better. 
  • rico said:
    @TimmyO @funkyfraz if you decide to sell, I’m in the market. Very likely in the next few months