Speaker wiring

vizviz Frets: 10691
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Probably. Which terminals do the wires go to on the jack?

If you're only ever going to use this cab by itself rather than with another one, it doesn't really matter anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    Are those connectors the crimp-on car accessory market stall type ones? :(
    edited March 2014
    p90fool said:
    Are those connectors the crimp-on car accessory market stall type ones? :(
    Whatever they are, they're best removed and the wires soldered to the terminals properly, if you're not just using the cab to test different speakers.

I know full well some people will disagree with this… all I can say is that I've long since lost count of the number of faults I've repaired caused by poor contacts in these things. Had another one just last week.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Probably lol - @ICBM, it's difficult to get a pic but here's the jack socket: http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zps2d1211f4.jpg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    Me too, it's one thing having a dodgy guitar lead, but speaker leads are a whole other kettle of wossnames.
    Those crimp-on connectors actually start the failure process when you install them.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    All props to ICBM. 
    I would just like to point out that Celestion speakers use a 5mm (actually 4.8mm) spade terminal and the much more common 6mm will be as loose as a goose. 

Like much in the guitar amp industry (it seems) this is an area where crap work or components seem to abound. I have never experienced it myself.

Dave.
    viz said:
    Probably lol - @ICBM, it's difficult to get a pic but here's the jack socket:
    Yes, red to positive.

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Wicked thanks mate :)