Rock School Gradings

What's Hot

Comments

• GeorgieGeorgie Frets: 19
    Wow - that is really well put and I never thought of it like that!!

Funny enough I am currently learning 'comfortably numb' - I though if you are going to learn a solo you might as well go for one rated 'the best'!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    @Georgie a great solo to learn [that's not overly tricky] that'll provide you with a good set of very nice licks is Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd..

and this lick, although bluesy by nature, will work in a huge range of situations because they're so versatile..
    goof around with their phrasing etc, and you can easily triple or quadruple them into a huge arsenal of licks…

I'm actually working on this with on of my students right now.. taking these licks.. goofing with them, and then moving them into all kinds of settings.. classic rock, funk, blues, pop, soul, through to metal..

learn… experiment.. apply… wax on… wax off… wax on… wax off...
    play every note as if it were your first

Where abouts do you teach??

I need a tutor like you!! Mine is lovely but he is classical and so works within 'boundaries'. These kind of ideas are what I need although he is going to Uni in Sept so will get a new teacher so hopefully will get one that believes in the same ideas as you.

I'm in Berkshire not far from Reading..

Rubbish move north!! It is nice here!!
    edited July 2014
    erm… so long as we're in the high 20's and low 30's here, I ain't going anywhere.. it's nice and toasty.. lol..

I do 1/2 day and 1 day sessions on occasion, and guys have come from all over the country for these..
    but they're quite intensive and are more suited more to the intermediate / advanced player..

if you're looking to work on your lick vocabulary, this is the sort of thing you'd be wanting to do with weekly sessions..

maybe learn a few more pieces and simple solos so you grow a nice sized vocabulary of licks, riffs, chord progressions etc, and then come down for a session and I'll show you how to develop all that and expand it into something bigger, and how to apply it..
    Ok cheers. :D
    no worries….
    if you want to book a session.. or just need help / ideas, just shout...
    Thank you. Have a look at my post about guitar holiday tell me what you think.
    I scouted around and couldn't find that post..
    For gawd sake Marlene!!! Hang on :-?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    SHHHH Clarky doesn't like everyone knowing his (ahem) "Alternative name" is Marlene...... :D

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

ha ha

the post is in making music section.

it says:

Has anyone been on a guitar holiday?

I am looking at the website www.guitarweekends.co.uk and think they look Brill.

mike_l said:
    SHHHH Clarky doesn't like everyone knowing his (ahem) "Alternative name" is Marlene...... :D

kinda redneck ain't it..
    Georgie said:

ha ha

the post is in making music section.

it says:

Has anyone been on a guitar holiday?

I am looking at the website www.guitarweekends.co.uk and think they look Brill.

they look fun... I was thinking of going on one a year or so ago.. partly for the blast of just playing for fun and being aroud guitar players and other like minded fanatic obsessives..

and partly because it was being held in Mijas [southern Spain] so I could double the trip up with a chance to go see me mum etc cos all my family are there too..

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Clarky said:
    mike_l said:

kinda redneck ain't it..

Not as bad as the tiny "Daisy Duke" shorts you insist on wearing................

@Georgie ;

the solo from Iron Maiden's Stranger In a Strange Land (From Somewhere in Time, 1986) is fairly straightforward to learn. It's in Eminor mostly around the 12th fret, it does go down to the 10th and the highest part is 17-20th frets. There's some nice licks to borrow/steal/acquire*.

Hendrix's version of All along the Watchtower is also fairly straightforward again, and as above has some nice licks to borrow/steal*

I can think of at least 1 lick which is common to both (at least a variation of the lick)

*delete as applicable

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Clarky;307332" said:
    mike_l said:

SHHHH Clarky doesn't like everyone knowing his (ahem) "Alternative name" is Marlene...... :D kinda redneck ain't it..
    isn't that Jolene????? :D
    Ok will try those out!!
    Georgie said:
    Clarky;307332" said:
    mike_l said:

SHHHH Clarky doesn't like everyone knowing his (ahem) "Alternative name" is Marlene...... :D kinda redneck ain't it..
    isn't that Jolene????? :D
    all my guitars have names…
    my 5-string bluegrass bang's name is Brandene… lmao
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Must admit I've always been less about the gear than the playing, but then given I haven't gigged... maybe that's understandable! Nice one, clarky - wish you were teaching me lol!