Year in Gear 2017

What's Hot

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    edited December 2017
    My only "big" purchases were an Orange PPC412 cab. Sounds good with my 6505+ head. Also a Digitech Drop Tune pedal which is actually quite good for live purposes.

Apart from that its just been small stuff like strings and picks, gotta remember the essentials!

Haven't sold anything, well if you count "loaning" I lent my mate my ISP decimator.

And as far as gear I would like to get, well there's many things, an American Strat, a Kemper, loop pedal, etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    I bought 2 pedals - a Devi Ever OK and a Digitech Obscura

That's it I think
    Stop crying, start buying
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    edited December 2017
    In:

Weehbo JCM Drive Ltd Anniversary Edish
    AMT mini wah
    Bearfoot Model HS
    SA Nemesis (fabulous)
    Dr Scientist Cosmichorus V3
    Diamond Comp Jr
    Boss CE2 Waza
    Sliderig (big box, original version - best comp I have used by a mile).
    Various Mooers, Donners and Tomslines bought out of curiosity
    Kingsley Page V2
    Kingsley Harlot V2

...and this:

...one of the finest and most versatile guitars I have ever laid hands on, a Reverend Rick Vito in black - bought for not a lot on eBay and never ever leaving my clutches*

(*conditions apply).

The Vito is now fitted with a brilliant Duesenberg Les Trem II, bought on here.

and finally:

a magnificent set of OX4 low-wind humbuckers which transformed my 61 reissue SG.

Out:

Epiphone Sorrento
    Fender Tele Deluxe MIJ
    Kingsley Page V2
    Kingsley Harlot V2 (both lovely, but I just find my other ODs inspire me more)
    Suhr Koji
    XTS Imperial
    Pigtronix Infinity + switch
    Warped Vinyl Mk 1
    Bearfoot SYOD3 (a spare - love this pedal and have another in a fancy paint job)
    Weehbo JTM (also a spare, still the best MIAB I have heard)
    SA Gemini
    SA LA Lady
    TC Mimiq
    Various Mooers, Donners and Tomslines bought out of curiosity

• agibboagibbo Frets: 102

In:

PRS Vela

Fender Custom 68 Princeton Reverb (upgraded Rajin Cajun speaker added)

Timmy OD

Lovepedal Amp Eleven

Fredrik Effects Bluesbreaker style clone

Out:

Gibson SG 61 Reissue

I really need to have a clear out of pedals and maybe some guitars in the new year

• ellwood said:
    Can I not play this game please?
    I'll go halves on hiring a ghost writer for both of us mate. Should have the epic work finished by the end of January? ;) 
    I thought these were always destined to both be whole other threads. ‘Ellwood’s year in gear’ and ‘legionreturns year in gear’ (both with plenty of pics of course) would potentially be viewed as moments in fb history, benchmarks by which the rest of us would measure our GAS by. :)
  • In: The 3 meris pedals and a Dod rubberneck:

In and out: boss PS6 and 2x Darkglass

Not so bad.
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    edited December 2017
    Ok. Just for shits and giggles I had a go at this. This is to the best of my recollection. Ready?

You might want to go and get a cup of tea.

I started the year with a 1990 Burny MIC 335, having sold everything to fund setting up my own business.

Since then....

In and staying (at the moment)
    2004 R8
    Aged R8
    2017 Les Paul Traditional
    Derek Trucks SG
    2012 R8
    PRS Tremonti Ten Top (surprise acquisition of the year - and current favourite GAS item)
    PRS Mira 25th Anniversary Soapbar
    1975 Fender Telecaster
    Raygun Relic Strat
    1981 Tokai LS 50 with OX4 (Out and in again)
    1981 Yamaha 12 string acoustic
    1990 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    Martin GPC
    Les Paul R7 True Historic
    Mk1 Cornford Harlequin
    Orange TH30 with matched Zilla 2x12
    Tech 21 Trademark 60
    Fender Twin Reverb Anniversary
    Marshall 1974x
    Boss TU2
    Maxon Overdrive
    Boss SuperDrive
    Blackstar LT Drive
    Tech21 Flyrig5
    ThorpyFX Boost
    TC Electronics
    HOF

Still to come in:
    Ryder Guitars 59 Les Paul Appetite
    Ryder Guitars 59 The Second One
    Epiphone Bonamassa "Amos" V
    Marshall JVM50

Out:
    PRS SE One (black)
    PRS SE One (technically still here but about to be auctioned by @Bridgehouse). Modded by @stonevibe ;;;;
    PRS Angelus SE
    Fender Japan 52 FSR Telecaster
    Fender Japan Albert King Telecaster
    1996 MIJ Fender Telecaster
    Fender Japan 62RI Stratocaster
    Les Paul Standard Koa
    2008 Les Paul Custom
    Vigier Excalibur Rock Art
    Nash Telecaster
    Charvel So Cal
    1994 Les Paul Studio
    Les Paul Tribute
    Burny Les Paul
    Greco Les Paul
    US Strat Deluxe
    US Double Fat Strat
    G&L Legacy
    Line 6 Vetta Head and Cab
    Boss Katana 50
    Rivera Knucklehead Tre
    Fender Deluxe 85
    Les Paul Standard
    Les Paul Traditional Manhatten Blue
    Les Paul Stadard Gold Top
    Gangluff Jazzmaster (FS at the moment)
    EVH5150 head and cab
    Ibanez tS9
    Epiphone J200
    Laney LC30ii
    PRS CE24
    PRS CE22
    PRS Anniversary 305
    PRS Swamp Ash Special NF3
    PRS Swamp Ash Special NF3
    MusicMan Silhouette
    Hybrid 62RI/HIghway One Partscaster
    Les Paul Faded ( )
    Les Paul Studio Lite
    Les Paul Limited Pacific Reef
    Marshall 2525 Head and Cab
    MIM Fender Telecaster
    Epiphone 5w head and cab
    Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
    Fender Lite Ash Strat
    Burgundy Mist Lonestar Strat Deluxe
    Fender Roadworn Telecaster
    Chris Shiflett Telecaster
    WezV Earth 2 52 Les Paul 

I think that's most of it. Probably not finished but I do intend to slow down massively next year. Have ended up with a phenomenal set of gear and now intend to practice and practice and practice until I can at least do it some justice...

(You can go for a wee now if you need to).

EDIT

This was actually really cathartic. Dragged everything out today and decided that the keep list is way too long. Going to cut it down to the stuff I actually play regulalrly. Classifieds post coming tomorrow...
    3reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    @ellwood the only thing I can conclude from the above is that the new business is going well!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    edited December 2017
    This year has been far and away my lost lenient for pedals. Slowly but surely realising I don't need to try out everything under the sun. Probably missed a few out but here's what I remember:

IN
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom 1955 - right at the very start of the year - Jan 2nd to be precise
    Quilter Tone Block 201 - musical purchase of the year
    Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 with V30s - second hand bargain - looks and sounds great
    Zombie Dust Doomsters - new pickups for my Schecter, they sound huuuuuuge
    EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai - pedal purchase of the year, such an underrated delay
    Alexander F-13 Flanger - sounds excellent but may sell quite soon as I only use one setting
    Way Huge Green Rhino Mark IV - absolute beast of an OD
    Digitech Bad Monkey
    - has made way for the Green Rhino but it is super dependable
    Juan Solo Tremolo - not sure what it's based on but it does that weird choppy stutter effect that I adore
    Boss RV-3 - superb dreamy delay/reverb
    Dr Scientist Bitquest - such an AWESOME bag of tricks
    Hilbish Beta Preamp (RENTED) - sounded awesome for doom but not enough clarity for the genre of music my band plays
    EQD Data Corrupter (RENTED) - can get freaky sounds galore but better for synths and noise making rather than guitar I think
    Boss DD-500
    Earthbound Audio Supercollider
    Blackout Effectors Blunderbuss

OUT
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom 1955 - great guitar but didn't really gel with P90s and...well, I needed the extra cash
    Boss RV-3 - produced a massive volume drop on some settings, shame as it sounded awesome
    Abominable Electronics Throne Torcher - awesome HM-2 clone but preferred my other distortions
    Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz - probably biggest regret of the year, but it's all for nought now as I ordered the new smaller Son Of Pharaoh last week D
    Dr Scientist Bitquest - loved nearly every sound I got out of it, but way too impractical for live use
    Digitech Obscura - great delay which I have owned three times now
    Boss DD-7 - see above but except twice
    Boss DD-500 - too many options for me
    Blackout Effectors Blunderbuss - preferred the Musket really
    Earthbound Audio Supercollider - sold it to my bass player, and it sounds freakin' AWESOME on bass

NEED TO GET/TRY OUT
    Orange Thunderverb 50 - oooh I do miss those sweet Orange sounds. I just miss high gain amps really.
    Ceriatone Yeti - heard so many good things...may pull the trigger at some point after some amp jiggery pokery
    Any version of a Marshall JCM 2004 - been talking to the chap from Hoffnine about his guitar heads
    Gurus 5015 - basically a 50w pedal platform amp with tubes, and it's absolutely tiny. Sounds ideal.
    Reverend Sensei - has been on the radar for ages
    Meris Polymoon - the demos have got me salivating

• In: the DIY Small Stone phaser clone.
     Out: The Mrs sold her Egmond Kansan semi-acoustic  and Indie IEA30B electroacoustic basses.

A lean year!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Just remembered I also bought a new Suhr Modern a few months ago, but sent it back within 24 hours.

It was a great example of buying a guitar based on the specs, but in the flesh there was nothing to love about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    edited December 2017
    Not loads of new stuff, more modding;

Bought a joyo american sound to go in front of my champion 600, great purchase.

My early 90s Arion distortion had some sort of breakdown and only works on one setting.  Unfortunately not a very pleasant setting.

Bought and then sold a Gretsch G5222

My Fender Champion 600 was already modded with a 5F1 switch and a negative feedback loop (still don't know what that means) plus better valves.  After buying the G5222 because I wanted a tweed cab for it, then decided to butcher and recover the original cab, happy with how it turned out as per picture.

Have just bought a Marshall ED1 pedal but not got it yet.

Hoping to sell my roadworn tele (still for sale will take £675 for a quick sale) and buy a classic vibe tele as I have decided modding the sh#t out of things is actually my thing!

https://i.imgur.com/va1tvHU.jpg

• tbmtbm Frets: 579

Been relatively quiet on the gear front this year. Any stuff I bought was for a new project I'm working on. Miss having a strat though, so that may be rectified in some shape or form come 2018.

In:
    Guild S-100 reissue
    Stone Deaf PDF 1
    Jet City JCA50H

Out:
    Custom Shop Strat

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    edited December 2017
    Bit of a year of messing around really.

I decided recently to streamline to 3 electrics only.What did you buy?
    Les Paul Junior 2016 limited run model.
    Fender Roadhouse Strat,
    Gibson SG Special,
    Tokai Les Paul junior style double cut,
    2010 Les Paul Traditional
    2011 60s Tribute Les Paul gold top.
    Yamaha guitalele.
    2000 MIM Fender Telecaster.

What did you sell?
    Kramer the 84
    Epiphone
    Fender Roadhouse Strat
    SG Special
    Tokai (returned it after 1 week to Andertons) really liked it but I knew it wouldn't get played enough as I already have a junior.
    2011 60s Tribute Les Paul gold top
    2016 Les Paul Studio T
    Fender Roadhouse Strat,

Best buy?
    Les Paul Traditional tied with the Junior

Worst buy?
    Fender Roadhouse Strat, not a bad guitar just wasn’t for me.

What do you still "need"?
    Some sort of 335, possibly another Les Paul. 
  • Another year of 'Honestly, I'll try and sell some stuff off' and it turning into a GAS frenzy (although given some of the lists above, I am clearly just an amateur).  Still, it's been fun and a good way of having a longer trial of something.

Out

Mexican Cabronita telecaster - it was great but too heavy

Roadworn strat - great guitar, should have probably kept it but it went in a trade that brought something special back home

Taylor GS Mini

PRS CU24 - Realised after many years that 24 frets and trem just ain't me.

Tokai Love Rock - another try at Les Paul ownership, another LP out the door.

Epiphone Dot - Very nice, but took in a trade and promised myself I'd sell it on.

In

Squier Cabronita - Lighter version of the Fender sold above that was going to be a donor for a partscaster.  Plays so well I left it as is.

Fender Classic 50's Stratocaster - Fiesta Red loveliness to replace the Road Worn (one of the 'too good a deal to miss' buys)

EBMM SUB1 - Brilliant American made, single pickup fun guitar for less than the price of a Squier.

Yamaha LL16ARE

1987 Marshall Jubilee 1x12 combo - bought when I was 19 and gigged a lot. Sold to a friend about 15 years ago who traded it back for the RW strat.  It's been a sound I was chasing for years.  Plugged my tele in and I was home.

GSP body and neck - from the Black Friday sale.  Had so many ideas about what to do with this that I've decided to get Xmas out of the way, fit the new kitchen (Keeping Mrs CountryD happy) and then start into the build.

A few pedals and pickups have also come and some have gone.

The realization that I'm not a big user of trems has also brought about the decision to sell my 1989 PRS Custom that I've owned since 1991.

• I've lost track!

Well, this time (no, really, this time) I need to start getting my finances in order, so selling some guitars, so as far as 2017 is concerned, the Jazzmaster is out/for sale (along with the Gretsch and Guild which I bought this year), and I'll be left with the Johnny Marr Jaguar I had, and my most recent purchase, a Fender FSR Ltd. Edition Vintage Series Roasted Ash '52 Tele:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/telecaster/fender-fsr-limited-edition-vintage-series-roasted-ash-52-telecaster

I also bought a Yamaha Silent Guitar (nylon string) and it's fantastic, though still don't know whether I'm sticking with it or if I'd be better off with a "real" steel string acoustic instead.

Amp-wise, I still have a 65 DRRI and added a JC40.

Pedal-wise, the net result of a lot of farting around is that the H9 is out and the Mobius, Chase Bliss Brothers and Jam Rattler are in.

What do I need:

Help? The ability to have the patience to save for gear and not use "plastic money"? I'll see if I can resist buying anything new next year, I don't think I NEED anything really. The "want" might be a different matter: there's always something shiny and new to tempt me.

• Very little activity.  I bought a Flashback delay, that's it. 

Hunt for a Gibson-scale, Fender type guitar goes on.  A couple of Tom Anderson shorties did come up later in the year but I was caught out because they went for a few hundred more than anticipated given previous sales.  If the specs had been bang on I'd have paid the higher prices, but there would have been compromises on fretboard (maple when I'd have preferred rosewood) and fretwire (medium when I wanted jumbo) and I backed off paying 3 or 4 hundred quid more than expected for guitars that weren't exactly what I wanted.

Some existing gear has been rejuvenated.  My Suhr Classic, refretted with 6000 wire, had fallen out of favour, it just wasn't feeling as good as some of my other guitars even after a bit of fiddling with the truss rod and the action and I was starting to the fretwire was the problem.  But I really put some hours tweaking the set-up and it's now playing beautifully and firmly re-established as my no 1.

Also my 336 had a refret a couple of years ago that left some ragged fret ends. They didn't affectl playability but niggled me every time I picked it up so I wasn't picking it up. I had a luthier tidy those up in the summer and am now back in love with the guitar.

Almost feels like having two new guitars in the stable, both of them superb, and it's cost me about 50 quid.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Oh yeah, a Thorpy Muffroom Cloud that I had for a month.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    This is quite a scary undertaking, once you start writing-down what you've actually bought! I thought it had been a quiet year, but...

In:

-          Boss DD-2

-          Boss SD-1

-          Boss SD-1

-          Bright Onion Patchbox

-          Ceriatone Klein-ulator

-          Custom Pedalboards 2 tier board + Evidence SIS

-          EHX The Worm

-          Free The Tone TA-1H Tri-Avatar

-          Ibanez SD-9

-          Maxon SD-9

-          MWFX Judder

-          MWFX Tremolo (CV wood version)

-          Pro-Co Rat

-          Providence Chrono Delay

-          Roger Linn Adrenalinn III

-          Roland EV-5

-          SiB Mr Fazeadelic

-          SiB CUDA

-          Strymon Flint

-          Two Notes Torpedo Live

-          WMD Geiger Counter

-          Zoom G2R Richie Kotzen

-           

-          Carr Slant 6V head

-          Cornford Carrera combo

-          Friedman Smallbox combo

Out:

-          Boss DD-2 (different to above)

-          Maxon SD-9 (same as above)

-          T-Rex Betavibe

-          Pedaltrain Pro + Spider case

-          Axe FX II XL

-          Palmer PGA-04 ADIG-LB

-          PRS CE-2

Wanted:

-          Late 1980s PRS Custom 24

-          Friedman BE 4x12 cabinet

-          More MONEY!!!

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • https://i.imgur.com/B4xpk1Q.jpg

GAS Funds have been limited this year :)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom