Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Chris Rea collapses

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    I don't wish illness on anyone, and I'm sure he's a good guitarist. But so what. To waste natural talent on such utter bollocks like "Coming Home for Christmas" (and numerous others) cannot be unmentioned or excused just by dint of his mortality. 

How anyone can compare him to JJ Cale is beyond me!

WTF has your personal opnion of his music got to do with his health?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Driving home for Christmas is my all time favorite, have never managed to nail that solo though.

Hope he`s ok.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I do slightly wonder about the wisdom of hanging the responsibility of large concerts on the shoulders of a pensioner with a history of major health problems. Although he managed 35/37 on this tour. 

ICBM said:
    I thought he'd retired too. Hope he's OK, he hasn't looked at all well for the last few years.

I think he's very under-rated as well - for some reason he seems to be looked down on a bit by 'serious' blues fans... I don't know why - possibly because he's never been afraid to not be a purist about it, but I've always loved his strange combination of blues and 60s film-score influences.
    I think he was rehabilitated by the blues fans - Chris and his music became regulars on things like the Paul Jones show. Paul, by contrast, would only play a Gary Moore track with his arm up behind his back. 

Chris always comes across well in interviews and I watched a documentary about him in his farm house in France years ago and he seemed to be living a lifestyle I was envious of or at least impressed by. Hope he’s okay. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5628

I have a lot of time for Chris Rea, he was one of my major influences growing up.

Personally I think he's taken less seriously as a player because he doesn't necessarily fit into one genre well (or perhaps didn't for a long time).  He's a seriously good player, and multi-instrumentalist to boot, and has a great tone but he also has the ability to throw out some radio friendly pop tunes too which confuses purists.

I once heard that he had a massive back catalogue of music written and could easily put out four albums a year but his output was controlled by his record company.

For me he has a Knopfler-esq ability (perhaps even better) of telling a story and creating a mood with a song that's not often rivalled.

And Bombollini from his Wired to the Moon album is just an epic song, although I have many more favourites too.

More than anything though, he just seems like a really nice, humble and genuine guy.

Get well, Chris!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Christ there are some sanctimonious tossers about... don't like his music, then don't comment.

FWIW, I think he *is* underrated and some of the dumbass comments above prove that. I hope Chris is OK.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said

WTF has your personal opnion of his music got to do with his health?
    Nothing.

I don't wish illness on anyone, and I'm sure he's a good guitarist. But so what. To waste natural talent on such utter bollocks like "Coming Home for Christmas" (and numerous others) cannot be unmentioned or excused just by dint of his mortality. 

You Sir, need to learn to shut up! For clarity, your idiot remark wished death on him - before a mod wisely deleted it.
    Aha. The chap who compared him to JJCale stands up for free speech (as long as its speech he agrees with).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited December 2017

You Sir, need to learn to shut up! For clarity, your idiot remark wished death on him - before a mod wisely deleted it.
    Aha. The chap who compared him to JJCale stands up for free speech (as long as its speech he agrees with).
    1. I didn’t compare him to J J Cale - I quoted a comment from someone else who had.

2. I don’t mind anyone speaking freely - but you know full well what you said in your original post - and it was out of order. Someone clearly flagged it (not me fwiw - though on reflection I wish I had) so clearly I’m not the only one who felt you were wrong to have said it.

There’s nothing stopping you from starting a thread about how much you hate Chris Rea’s music. I started this thread as I like the way the bloke comes across, I admire how he’s has survived very serious illness - and has also managed to fit in making some music that I quite like - and I was sorry to hear he’s ill again. With the exception of you - everyone who’s commented on it has wished him well....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    I read about Chris Rea being very ill a few years ago.  Great to see him out there and playing the music he loves.  I hope he pulls through after his recent collapse on stage. Get well soon Chris.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Again I have always felt he was underrated and for a while sold his soul to pen more commercial music to do what we all do keep bread on the table and clothes on the kids back. He served his dues and was never an overnight sensation. 

Lucky to have him around there are plenty of good song from CR like or hate the style.

Get well soon
  • My in-laws are fans of Chris Rea who have seen him pretty much every time he's played in Sheffield for as long as I've known them. They said that when they saw him a week or so before his collapse he looked very ill. 

Still, given that only something like 4% of people with pancreatic cancer live longer than five years from diagnosis and Chris is going on for 18, I suspect @Saddlepunk is wishing in vain. Dude will be jamming with Keith Richards and the cockroaches.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    Best wishes to Chris and to anyone else dealing with an illness at Christmas :)

Spirit of the season is peace and goodwill to all men after all! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited December 2017
    Dude will be jamming with Keith Richards and the cockroaches.

Couple of years ago, I saw Chris Rea at the Symphony Hall (great venue - every seat a winner) and I'm sure this was advertised as a 'Farewell Tour'.......but I'm real pleased he's out again and I hope he gets past his latest wobble.

I look forward to the "Keef, Chris & the Cockroaches - Survivors Tour 2018"

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • SRich said:
    Dude will be jamming with Keith Richards and the cockroaches.

Couple of years ago, I saw Chris Rea at the Symphony Hall (great venue - every seat a winner) and I'm sure this was advertised as a 'Farewell Tour'.......but I'm real pleased he's out again and I hope he gets past his latest wobble.

I look forward to the "Keef, Chis & the Cockroaches - Survivors Tour 2018"

I think they'll be touring in 2108, supporting King Crimson.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi 
    Just following on I had a quick look and beyond the initial collapse, stories have not seen anything anyone hear what happened or how he is doing.  I know people like to keep medical stuff private but there is normally a basic update so I am presuming he is pretty poorly. 
  • I know people like to keep medical stuff private but there is normally a basic update so I am presuming he is pretty poorly. 
    I agree the lack of news is worrying - one report suggested he was slurring his words before he collapsed - which raises the fear he’s had another stroke. Given this would be his second, it doesn’t bode well.

Let’s hope for the best....
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778
    From a fellow Boro lad to another I hope he is back on his feet soon, they make em tough in the north east so fingers crossed.

My Dad used to tell me about Rea's Cafe and ice cream which were massive in Boro at the time. He was also a big fan of Chris obviously as a local lad who had done well, Paul Rodgers was another fave (not quite Boro but not far). I liked the fact that he referenced the area in his tunes, Stainsby is a real place for example just on the outskirts of the town. Steel river is obvious as well of course. Chris can play and has a really great touch and feel for a song too, get well soon fella.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom